Obsidian Entertainment - Feargus Urquhart Interview @ RPS

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
RPS have an interview with Feargus Urguhart on the future of RPGs, concluding...
RPS: Conversely, going back to your redefinition of RPGs, I think a lot of people are defining them as “big.” They’re almost pushing that as a selling point. That’s what The Witcher is doing now, and Dragon Age III. Obviously Skyrim. Skyrim is what I think made both of those want to do that. For Obsidian, will that be one of your future tenets? Going huge and making this really big world that people walk around in and live in?
Feargus Urquhart: I would say that’s maybe one of the types of RPGs that we would make. I think there’s still a place for the KOTOR, Mass Effect style – I really do – in which there’s this universe for players to play around in and they’re going from planet to planet to planet. But it’s a different experience from this big open world. It’s a little bit more story-driven. It’s a little bit more linear and things like that. But it’s not like that’s a bad thing. All RPGs don’t need to become more focused on scope as their feature. It doesn’t just need to be that way.
Check back tomorrow for Urquhart’s perspective on Kickstarter, Project Eternity’s progress, and whether or not crowdfunding is The Next Big Thing for Obsidian. Also, in case your excitement glands already somehow returned to normal size, here’s a friendly reminder that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III and Fallout: New Vegas 2 have a pretty good chance at becoming actual things that exist.
More information.

I kind of wish future consoles would just adopt a Linux OS backend, add a keyboard, and do away with the whole PC/console distinction.

I kind of wish future consoles would just adopt a Linux OS backend, add a keyboard, and do away with the whole PC/console distinction.

It's called the Steam Box...

The mystery project that they signed for in December is what intrigues me most. I'd personally want (and bet on) an Elder Scrolls game with Skyrim's engine, similar to what they did with Fallout: NV.

That interviewer talks about Walking Dead too much.

It's not possible to talk about Walking Dead too much.

The mystery project that they signed for in December is what intrigues me most. I'd personally want (and bet on) an Elder Scrolls game with Skyrim's engine, similar to what they did with Fallout: NV.

I can't imagine Bethesda allowing someone else to develop a single-player TES game.

Well there is a good chance that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III and Fallout: New Vegas 2 will be funded and made. Fingers crossed.

I also love his answer on open world games.
I would say that’s maybe one of the types of RPGs that we would make. I think there’s still a place for the KOTOR, Mass Effect style – I really do – in which there’s this universe for players to play around in and they’re going from planet to planet to planet. But it’s a different experience from this big open world. It’s a little bit more story-driven. It’s a little bit more linear and things like that. But it’s not like that’s a bad thing. All RPGs don’t need to become more focused on scope as their feature. It doesn’t just need to be that way.
Yep that's how I love my rpgs. Limited open world with a story driven aspect to it. Not every new Rpg has to emulate Skyrim because of it's success.

Back
Top Bottom