Game of Thrones - Review @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Alec Meer from Rock, Paper, Shotgun has penned a Game of Thrones Wot I Think based on that rare of rare items, the PC version. Alec has a number of criticisms but finds the script is "faithful in an intrinsic way" and the tactical combat builds nicely after a very slow opening. A great read, if you've been thinking about this game:
It’s made from two key ingredients: a fleshed-out and surprising narrative that weaves in and out of the events of the first Song of Ice & Fire book/season of the TV show without either disrupting them or being undermined by them, and combat that blossoms from stilted beginnings into highly tactical crowd control. Also, stealth missions starring a psychic dog. It’s grand and sprawling and silly and brutal and will make about as much sense as a sheep wearing a tie to anyone not reasonably au fait with the books or TV show, and it’s a hard sell for sure. It might also be the most fascinating mainstream game I’ve played this year.
More information.

I don't think much of other sites that have reviewed this game that I have read but RPS is one of the few game sites I trust and with the knowledge I have about this game and this review I think I will like this game when I get it.

I recommend it to any fans of the books and tv series. The game has everything betrayal/political movements/ and choice and consequences. Shame the larger sites dismiss it as below average .

I bit, so far so good story wise, the combat and character progression have potential as well. The interface forced me into using a 360 controller, and I wish the FoV was a tad pulled back, but minor gripes after KoA:R.

I bit, so far so good story wise, the combat and character progression have potential as well. The interface forced me into using a 360 controller, and I wish the FoV was a tad pulled back, but minor gripes after KoA:R.

really? why do you need a controller for this? I find it plays just fine with keyboard/mouse

Are there any big differences between the console versus PC gameplay? I would like to play this on a console because of a larger screen if it is worth it.

I have a Razer mouse, and would have had to configure a totally new profile to make the sensitivity bearable. The FoV and menus also felt designed with consoles in mind. Just made sense to use a controller.

I really wish to play this, since I am a sucker for good stories in games. But this line worries me:

Wot-I-Think said:
"…will make about as much sense as a sheep wearing a tie to anyone not reasonably au fait with the books or TV show"

I am not AT ALL familiar with the setting and have never read/seen any source material. Will this really be a huge problem? Surely, there will be in-game lore to help understand the happenings..??

I really wish to play this, since I am a sucker for good stories in games. But this line worries me:

I am not AT ALL familiar with the setting and have never read/seen any source material. Will this really be a huge problem? Surely, there will be in-game lore to help understand the happenings..??

Not necessary, but I do recommend you watch the TV series, if only because it's just THE BEST SERIES OF ALL TIME :)
Events in the game happen at the same time as things in the first season/book. There is in-game lore in the codex, but you have to find the entries in your exploration, so if you don't find one, you miss it. It's pretty cool that you get references that are part of the grand story, but your story is independent.

Back
Top Bottom