We have seen numerous games in the past ... but never a museum ...

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello everyone,

this one astonished me, because it is about culture as well - a thing interestingly so much absent in games I wonder why.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1093820/Mondo_Museum/

It's a Tycoon / Sim game in which a museum must be built.

Now, that's a bit different than driving fast cars, going into war, or being a Gangsta.
It is also a bit different than building whole towns, building Zoos, Hospitals, and islands.

Museums are usually about culture. not that much in this game, but thinking about this game provoikes the question why Culture is so much absewnt in games ? Why is it so that both developers and players alike has such a fear for putting Culture into a game ?

There are games about warfare, there are games about tactics, there are games about killing, there are games about exploiting, there are games about building whole nations - "but don't bother me with this culture stuff !"

Games appear to teach gamers a lot about tactics, for example, a lot about how to kill people (Hitman, Assassins), a lot about stealth, a lot about exploiting - but they never teach gamers about Culture.

If there is something showing the immaturity of games, then its the total absence of Culture in it.

Alrik

A museum only game? I'm not interested as we'll see idiocies like common misconception of no wheels in mayan culture.

There are games with museums as part of the ingame worlds experience (Stardev Valley and Portia for example) and also there are games with real history "lessons" of a sort, explorable outside of the actual game (AC Origins and Odyssey).

I have - though mostly in context of the game. It came out when I was most of the way through the game already but I had some good fun going back to various places and learning about what it is I had just played around in. I'm not so sure how fun it would be just by itself, though, unless you already had an interest in the subject.

That's actually a pretty fun video, @Atrachasis;! How Jon managed to not pick some of those answers in the quizzes, though, I have no idea. (Unfortunately, the test givers are always supportive and understanding no matter what answer you give. Even though you are CLEARLY using the answer to give your teacher an excuse to lighten the mood at your expense - possibly with a little slapstick humor: i.e. throwing an eraser at your noggin.)

Total absence of culture in games? That's totally wrong.

Games are culture themselves. And they have close relations to many other aspects of that term. There's plenty of games that relate to history, as discussed above. There's music-focused games to enjoy. There's excellent story telling to experience. There's references to all types of novels or movies to find. There's some fantastic (fictional and non-fictional) architecture to see. Many games reflect on religious or philosophical topics.

Back
Top Bottom