X-Com 2: WOTC Long War in beta

Drithius

Magic & Loss
News posts via Reddit.

Who’s developing Long War of the Chosen?

Long War of the Chosen is primarily a port of the existing Long War 2 mod created by Pavonis Interactive. On Nov 7th 2017, Pavonis Interactive announced the end of development on the Long War 2 project on their forums. They also opened up access to all their assets and code so that other modders could continue working on it.

There have been several attempts to create a Long War of the Chosen. This is the latest, started by Peter Ledbrook in early 2019. He single-handedly rebooted the project, put it on GitHub and on April 4th 2019 released the first fully playable alpha. He has since been joined by a community of modders, streamers and players who are trying to make the game great again.

I finished XCOM2 twice (first time base game only, second time with all those DLCs released BEFORE War of the Chosen) but I never used the Long War 2 mod. Maybe in the third time, who knows? :)
I hope their project succeed!

Last edited:
If you haven't gotten War of the Chosen then you'll probably find Long War interesting. You don't have to finish it to have fun with it!

War of chosen is a whole lot different than the base game; highly recommend it over the base game - it just adds quite a bit.
--
As for long war I've tried it once or twice but could never get far and would later get bored and quit (progression is very very very very slow).

Long war 1 was awesome but... too long.

Yep, it do be long. I got about half way through both before moving on - but it's still fun on the way. Loved giving snipers the ability to run & gun! The maps got more interesting, too. They were made for fewer soldiers than I was bringing, which made finding cover that was in a useful location a lot more tricky.

You're spot on about cover. I don't know if the modders though about that but it does spice things up a little (I'm not sure I used the correct idiom there..).

What I particularly liked were the added gear options and the uncumberment mechanic. I remember running a entire squad equipped with only MPs, handguns or sawed-off shotguns. Not a lot of firepower but huge movement bonuses. They were breaking through lines and wrecking everything at short range, good fun!

Maybe I'll try this new LW2 after all. Like you said, I don't have to finnish the game.

If you haven't gotten War of the Chosen then you'll probably find Long War interesting. You don't have to finish it to have fun with it!

But I also have War of the Chosen expansion. Only that I didn't give it a real try because, since I've finished the game twice before it, I was kinda weary of the game. But some time in the future I intend to play the game again with Long War 2 mod and War of the Chosen.

I just need to know (because I never did a Google search) if the Long War 2 mod and War of the Chosen expansion are way too different from each other or if they're too similar.

Last edited:
That's what this beta test will answer!

That's what this beta test will answer!

I was meaning the main differences/similarities between the Long War 2 mod released by Pavonis in 2017 and the War of the Chosen. I was not referring to the mod still in works :)

I was meaning the main differences/similarities between the Long War 2 mod released by Pavonis in 2017 and the War of the Chosen. I was not referring to the mod still in works :)

They are very different. Long War mods change the entire game from being a bit of a game where you beat aliens in a few months to an actual guerilla war. It focuses a lot more on stealth than the original game and as mentioned by someone else, the game features new mechanics not in the game such as encumbrance (e.g. if you equip a slot, you lose movement points), new types of items/weapons and different types of infiltration mechanics.

Essentially it makes XCOM2 into an entirely different game. You need to adapt to the situation more and it's not all about going in all guns blazing. For example, if you see a very hard scenario, it doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't do it, but that you should potentially just do it with two very fast characters in stealth (e.g. hack objective and get the hell out of there.

War of The Chosen does change some of the game's mechanics, but mostly just adds to them. The Chosen are another enemy to fight and you need to find them to then kill them using a new mechanic of spying which is mostly just like a new type of research but with soldiers.

Back
Top Bottom