Nintendo Switch some news

Think of this, who would buy Switch for 329€ if it would be a console truly? It would cost more than xbox one S with one game and two contollers (250€) while having inferioir cpu, gpu, inferioir memory, inferioir storage, less games, etc everything. Maybe some nintendo fans but othervice not.

Scorpio is coming. It'll change things.
Secondary point as people who buy a Nintendo console are first interested in Nintendo (or certain licensed) games. Buying for another reason makes little sense.
That is the primary reason to buy. Excluding it comes with the consequences of excluding a lot of people who are going to buy.

Perhaps I missed it, but why do you guys call it a tablet? As far as I know it doesn't have a touchscreen, so that alone kills it as a tablet for me. Also, what OS does it use? if it's not Android or iOS then it might as well not have one... having a Netflix and a Youtube app (which I'm assuming at least it will have) alone doesn't make it a real tablet.

Perhaps I missed it, but why do you guys call it a tablet? As far as I know it doesn't have a touchscreen, so that alone kills it as a tablet for me. Also, what OS does it use? if it's not Android or iOS then it might as well not have one… having a Netflix and a Youtube app (which I'm assuming at least it will have) alone doesn't make it a real tablet.

It's not really a tablet, it's just that it's somewhat designed with features that the Nvidia Shield tablet had. It does have a touchscreen but apparently games aren't going to use it. If it had some sort of Android support going forward it would be great, but that's likely to still be the Shield's niche (for now, if they even make a Shield 2).

If I had to predict, I would say that the Shield 2 will come later in the year or 2018, and will focus on the Android side.

Last edited:
Perhaps I missed it, but why do you guys call it a tablet? As far as I know it doesn't have a touchscreen, so that alone kills it as a tablet for me. Also, what OS does it use? if it's not Android or iOS then it might as well not have one… having a Netflix and a Youtube app (which I'm assuming at least it will have) alone doesn't make it a real tablet.
It does have a touch screen and everything that tablet has, it also has the best tablet hardware on the market. Only difference is instead of having Android/iOS it has new tablet OS built for gaming mainly. Thus its a tablet built for gaming. No other tablet in the market can offer that because they are built for more generic use (its like game console vs PC).

My main interests are gaming, streaming tv/movies and using browser. That covers like 98% of my daily activities. For the remaining 2% i.e banking apps I can use phone which is right next to me always.

Considering that gaming is my main interest, then the most important thing in a tablet is controls. Normal tablets are not suited for real gaming, touch screen is too limited. Im more than willing to trade in bunch of apps I dont need daily for good controls. Besides who needs i.e banking apps in gaming device..

Edit:

Note the touchscreen is usable just like in tablets (why would they have it if not??), it can also be used in games. If the tablet is docked then the motion controls can be used to replace touch screen functions. (Not that its really needed, I never use the Shield tablet touchsreen when I play games with it using the attached ps4 controller.)

Last edited:
So yes, the Shield can play PC games as a streaming device, plus a few cool games in the Geforce Now store (Risen 3, Witcher 3 and a few others).

The Switch is going to have a bunch of good to great games. "Real" games. Not microtransaction phone games or simplistic tablet games. There is a difference here.
Youre forgetting that Shield has PC games like Borderlands, Shadowrun, Doom3, etc. Those are not streamed from PC or the cloud. They are downloaed into the Shield tablet and Shield tablet runs them. But yes the Stream services are nice, too bad Nintendo did not opt to include them into the Switch. Maybe later as an software update, the hardware is all there allready.

I have used Shield tablet with attached controlers (i.e ps4 controller, ps4 tablet clip) for 6 months now. It works very similary to Switch, except its more bulkier and there are less games. I more than willing to trade in the appstore for more of games, better controls and less of weight.

Switch is the tablet I wanted Nvidia Shield tablet to be so I dont understand why you would call it a console. Ps4 is console, Xbox one is a console, Switch is a tablet. My Shield tablet also has a tv-out but its still a tablet (not a console).

Nintendos new console is essentially nothin more than tablet (dont let Nintendo fool you):

"The core concept is a tablet that can play host to games on the go or be dropped into a dock for gaming on a television."
https://www.google.fi/amp/www.polyg...678/nintendo-tablet?client=ms-android-samsung

Last edited:
I did not forget that Shield has those games. I mentioned it earlier. The Shield does have some PC games and "big" games in the Geforce Now and Nvidia store. But the selection is going to be much less than what Switch will offer. No one is really developing anything specifically for Shield like they will be for the Switch. That is because the Shield is a tablet that uses Android and the Switch is a console/handheld hybrid.

I made a video talking about the Shield and how I use it. Might be worth a peek -

Ill promise no more console/tablet talk, let it be hybrd. Got a bit excited there. Heres some more news, Switch developer gives out more idetails about the Switch:
https://mynintendonews.com/2017/01/...endo-switch-developer-shares-further-details/

The price in Finland was released to day. Its 379€. That is very rich I would say. You can buy ps4 pro for almost the same price, so its not very competetive as pure console. However as tablet its good. Decent mini tablet costs 300-400€ and it has only touch screen controls. Switch games are going to be much better than what appstores of iOS/Android offer.

Its kind of interesting that the minitablets (ipad mini entry) cost as much as the best consoles (ps4 pro). Most of the cost is in the screen if I remember correctly, consoles dont have that.

I made a video talking about the Shield and how I use it. Might be worth a peek -

I have the exact same controller attachment for Switch as in the video. The build quality is poor so I prefer to use the ps4 controller instead with the official ps4 tablet clip. Looks like this:
maxresdefault.jpg

I took it to Paris during our last trip. Played hours of Borderlands pre sequel and borderlands story before going to sleep in hotel. I prefer to play with it instead of Vita/3DS and thats something. I have around ~10 games but many of them are good and it will take hundreds of hours for me to play them through. Still i would like switch more since its lighter and more userfriend (and with more games of course).

Borderlands 3 apparent isnt coming to Switch. Reason is that Nintendo apparently stopped talking to them. That would have made it insta-buy no matter price.

Last edited:
Sounds great. The thing that really excites me now is that the controllers also have very upgraded/better Wiimote tech inside them as well. So motion control gems like Mario Galaxy, etc., can likely be made for the Switch as if it were a Wii game and Wii games might appear for download on the Virtual Console store or be compatible with the Switch. That would really be great, IMO.

Sounds great. The thing that really excites me now is that the controllers also have very upgraded/better Wiimote tech inside them as well. So motion control gems like Mario Galaxy, etc., can likely be made for the Switch as if it were a Wii game and Wii games might appear for download on the Virtual Console store or be compatible with the Switch. That would really be great, IMO.
Yes there were lots of good details, also the online subscription is just like PS+ so its not bad at all.

One thing Im wondering is where is the IR bar from Wiiu in Switch? If its in the dock then do you have to keep it in standing up like in all the pictures. It wont fit into our TV stand like that, it would cover the TV because its so tall.

How does the PS4 controller + tablet clip hold up from extended use? Is the clip sturdy and does it stay in position tightly? The controller in my video isn't the best, for sure, but it's good enough for pretty much all emulation. If you play something like Skyrim or Borderlands that uses the analog sticks more, the PS4 controller is likely way better. But I'm wondering if the clip will hold up the Shield tablet of mine + the battery weight as well without "drooping" or being too heavy for the clip to support it.

Edit - Would probably get the PS4/PS3 controller to replace the IPEGA one but man, those official controllers are a bit pricey. I understand why (they are good), but I think for what I do now the IPEGA is sufficient.

How does the PS4 controller + tablet clip hold up from extended use? Is the clip sturdy and does it stay in position tightly? The controller in my video isn't the best, for sure, but it's good enough for pretty much all emulation. If you play something like Skyrim or Borderlands that uses the analog sticks more, the PS4 controller is likely way better. But I'm wondering if the clip will hold up the Shield tablet of mine + the battery weight as well without "drooping" or being too heavy for the clip to support it.
Clip is super sturdy. Tablet is attached with suction cup. The suction cup can hold Shield as long as you dont throw it around. I will mod mine with kind of "painting holder" if it ever comes too loose (it can hold objects up to several kilos). As for comfort its a bit heavy but you can adjust your position so that you will not feel it.

Ps4 controller is superb compared to the chinese alternative. Its really accurate.

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'd like a suction cup version since preferably I'd like to keep the Shield in the case with the external battery attached (just a convenience thing). But maybe I'll look into one of those clips that holds the tablet like the IPEGA controller does. I do like that the IPEGA controller form fits well right around the tablet.

Its amazing that Apple is not willing to do a tablet for gaming with good integrated controls. And make sure it gets ports from good PC/Console games. Money is no issue to them, so its just because they are blind imho. It would be a serious challenge for Switch and consoles too.

Its amazing that Apple is not willing to do a tablet for gaming with good integrated controls. And make sure it gets ports from good PC/Console games. Money is no issue to them, so its just because they are blind imho. It would be a serious challenge for Switch and consoles too.

I agree. I think the Shield was ahead of its time, yet overall it's not that popular of a device. The Switch is going to bring the hybrid tablet/console/handheld thing that Nvidia kind of started into a MUCH bigger light. I'm sure you'll see some similar things from other companies once they catch on. The basic idea of the Shield/Switch design is a really good one, IMO. The success of the Switch will also likely boost Nvidia Shield 2 sales/rep down the line as well.

I agree. I think the Shield was ahead of its time, yet overall it's not that popular of a device. The Switch is going to bring the hybrid tablet/console/handheld thing that Nvidia kind of started into a MUCH bigger light. I'm sure you'll see some similar things from other companies once they catch on. The basic idea of the Shield/Switch design is a really good one, IMO. The success of the Switch will also likely boost Nvidia Shield 2 sales/rep down the line as well.
The first Shield (portable) supported I think all three modes that Switch does. However the screen was too small. The next Shield (tablet) support two of three aka TV and desk -modes. It didnt support tablet mode anymore due to lack of controls. The latest Shield (console) supports only the TV-mode.

Overall it was half-hearted attempt. Nvidia burned lots of money but never got it right. Also Shield tablet had major battery issue which I think was the last nail. Nintendo however has always had the best production values so Im not expecting anything like that. Wii u was outstandingly crafted, tiny power consumption etc.

Arstrstechnice article about the identity crisis of Switch. Says dock adds little value, should have been relesed as portable (and dock as extra accessory)
Switch games can perform slightly better when plugged into the dock, thanks to some wall-outlet-enabled overclocking. The system's "barely better than Wii U" performance isn't nearly as impressive on a full 1080p display, however. Some Nintendo Switch games, including Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Splatoon 2, reportedly don't reach 1080p resolution when a Nintendo Switch is plugged into the TV dock. Even if you're not a devoted pixel-counter, the Nintendo Switch's first revealed games appear to have the same visual weaknesses as most Wii U games, including no anti-aliasing or solid texture filtering. (These games, we should clarify, are still in active development).

In short, the Switch dock adds noticeable cost without adding a lot of benefit. Unless you're really eager to play underpowered console games on a TV, the Switch would probably be more attractive as a low-cost, well-designed portable instead of a more expensive hybrid.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...crisis-could-echo-microsofts-kinect-disaster/

I agree. I'll be selling my dock asap. I'll be using it 100% in portable mode.

Clip is super sturdy. Tablet is attached with suction cup. The suction cup can hold Shield as long as you dont throw it around. I will mod mine with kind of "painting holder" if it ever comes too loose (it can hold objects up to several kilos). As for comfort its a bit heavy but you can adjust your position so that you will not feel it.

Ps4 controller is superb compared to the chinese alternative. Its really accurate.

Do you have to put it down after a while? It looks like it would get hard on the wrists after some longer gaming sessions. I have the DS4 and the Shield, so that would be a nice upgrade rather than grabbing the Shield controller, however I like the WiFi connection on that controller, so might still.

Do you have to put it down after a while? It looks like it would get hard on the wrists after some longer gaming sessions. I have the DS4 and the Shield, so that would be a nice upgrade rather than grabbing the Shield controller, however I like the WiFi connection on that controller, so might still.
No I can play hours without getting uncomfortable. I put small rolled blanket or pillow under ps4 controller to support. It takes all weight.

Ps4 clip is cheap so you should try it. I paid only 30e.

Back
Top Bottom