No Man's Sky - Death Threats Over Delay

Aubrielle

Noveliste
No Man's Sky developer Sean Murray has received numerous death threats since his announcement that the game's release would be delayed until August.

After the news this past week about No Man's Sky being delayed seven weeks, creator Sean Murray has been the target of numerous death threats.

Originally set to release in June, Hello Games' No Man's Sky has been pushed to August 9. Sean Murray gave insight in his PlayStation Blog post, explaining that the "extra polish" is necessary, and that it was a "tough choice to delay the game."

Sean Murray took to Twitter to send an apology to fans, and further explained that due to legal and external reasons, he couldn't speak of the delay sooner. These attempts to soothe and reassure fans, however, didn't hit home with everyone. As Murray pointed out on Twitter, he has since been sent hostile threats because of his decision to delay the game:

I have received loads of death threats this week, but don't worry, Hello Games now looks like the house from Home Alone #pillowfort

— Sean Murray (@NoMansSky) May 28, 2016 The space exploration game No Man's Sky was first announced in 2013. Its expansive, procedurally generated universe has been one of its biggest draws and curiosities for many fans. With the immense popularity surrounding the title, it's not surprising to see frustration from the news of a delay, but death threats are an extreme approach.
Source.

More information.

Anyone who ever sends a death threat for any reason should be punished by forbidding them to use any kind of communication over 3rd party (aka postcards, letters, e-mail, social networks and ofc phones). For life.

With official correspondence to a company or a person I think it would be best to enforce a real name policy to avoid this sort of nonsense. At least then people could be held accountable for their actions.

I'm with rjshae. It's a video game, people. Waiting another couple of months just isn't that big a deal. It isn't even like Hello Games is misbehaving or engaging in fraud -- they're taking more time to improve the game! If they released the game with too many flaws people would attacking them for that instead.

Really, some people just need to be force-fed a giant steaming mug of "shut the hell up" until they reach emotional adulthood.

I'm with rjshae. It's a video game, people. Waiting another couple of months just isn't that big a deal. It isn't even like Hello Games is misbehaving or engaging in fraud -- they're taking more time to improve the game! If they released the game with too many flaws people would attacking them for that instead.

Really, some people just need to be force-fed a giant steaming mug of "shut the hell up" until they reach emotional adulthood.

Its a shame that people feel that they can't put others in their place more often. I guess this is why society is so narcissistic these days, too many sacred totem poles.

With fans like that, who needs enemies?
Bioware logo. :p

People really do seem to be losing their perspective these days. I'm disappointed, too. This is the first I've heard of the delay. Steam still lists the release as June 21. Really looking forward to this one, yet penning a death threat was not my first reaction.

People just love death threats these days. Maybe this will become the new metric for how much people are anticipating your game. Devs will brag about their number of death threats they have: "You only got 100 death threats about your title? Pfft, you guys suck."

…and if it was released early, unpolished with (more) bugs? Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Childish tantrums on the internet are just that. He should publish or re-tweet said threats, let the internet organism feed on its own.

Is there really this much hype over No Man's Sky? It looks very average to me. Certainly not a game to throw threats over. :)

Mate it's the internet, ahem, sorry the human race we're talking about here. People get their tits in a tangle over just about anything.

I'm not defending these idiots who make death threats; however, I do think the anonymous voice can be an important one in society (whistle blowers, for example). I would worry about our freedom if everyone were to be made accountable for everything word they wrote. I'm not sure exactly where the line should be drawn, however.

I guess certain people will always use substitutes for rational thought, and find ways of combining words to create the absolute maximum impact they desire. Although it must be worrying to be the target of death threats, it's still all just hot air. Maybe that's just the price we have to pay for an open and honest society.

Last edited:
He should be ecstatic.
If they do kill him he will enter gaming history hall of fame.

Anonymity breeds all kinds of behaviour. Still better than a policed internet.

And at least it wasn't a woman this time, or we'd have a whole different discussion at our hands, right? ;)

Is there really this much hype over No Man's Sky? It looks very average to me. Certainly not a game to throw threats over. :)

It looks like the hype is still on. I don't think people really understand what kind of game it is going to be though. I have never seen a procedural game hyped so much.

This is a PR move.

Back
Top Bottom