Risen - Status Update

You guys are too harsh. Two of the best games ever and at least they had ambitious ideas for Gothic 3, even if they couldn't pull it off. It's still a better track record than 80% of other studios.

Not really - while I agree with G1/G2 assessment, and I do also love G3 but it isn't anywhere my 'top 10 RPG's' ... as I have said, I already pre-ordered Risen, and that is based on their history. If it is solid, they have me for whatever comes next ... but if it is crap, they have to rebuild trust.

It's still a better track record than 80% of other studios.
It's your opinion, as for me this game is horrible, and I wish I'd never buy and play it.

Where do you rank G1 and G2? Assuming you rank it highly...like, maybe even amongst the best games ever made, how many other studios have two games rated so highly? None? A couple, at most?

And if you don't rank them highly, they don't have any reputation to recover, right?

That said, it's your $40 (or whatever) and you're entitled to be as bitter as you like.

I have to agree with Dhruin here.

With a track record including 2 classic CRPGs - and one failed attempt at something really great, it's pretty harsh to have such a disposition.

Not that I would interfere with that, but in my mind - they deserve a lot of slack for such brilliant work.

I will likely go from enthusiastic about PB to neutral, if Risen turns out to be as commercial as I might fear.

I've been in denial about certain warning signs, though, and my faith in them is strong enough to maintain that denial until I've bought the game.

Where do you rank G1 and G2? Assuming you rank it highly...like, maybe even amongst the best games ever made
Yeah, they are one of the best cRPGs out there for me.

BTW my bad, I read fast and undertood it wrong, I mean they did a great job with G1 and 2 but G3 is horrible. I read it like "Gothic 3 was better than 80% of other games", sorry :p

Combat is still broken and it remains my single biggest issue with G3.

That said, it's very very good in other ways - but I consider the game broken for good.

I still enjoyed it immensely, though, and it's truly sad the community wasn't able to balance it properly.

I'm going to go back to G3 in September I think, see how it plays with all the patches and slightly lowered expectations.

Not sure whether or not to just liberate the villages and be done with it, my completist instincts argue against doing that till I've done all the quests possible but it does seem to detract from the narrative a bit trying to game the rules.

I'm going to go back to G3 in September I think, see how it plays with all the patches and slightly lowered expectations.

Not sure whether or not to just liberate the villages and be done with it, my completist instincts argue against doing that till I've done all the quests possible but it does seem to detract from the narrative a bit trying to game the rules.

My advice: don't go dual-wield.

With AB at least, liberating cities is t3h h4rd. IOW, if you want to do it at all without screaming in frustration and breaking things, it's probably best to do all the quests possible before starting.

That's one thing I like about AB -- it makes for a much more natural progression to the game; you start out as an explorer doing simple odd jobs for people, evolve into a troubleshooter doing tougher and/or less palatable odd jobs for people, and eventually end up a mover and shaker who can actually affect the balance of the whole game world. But you can't go straight from explorer to mover and shaker, like with the regular balancing -- the game will kill you very dead if you try.

My advice: don't go dual-wield.

Actually in my Opinion Two Handers suck too. The Sword and shield thing works very
well though (Paladin Armor + Rune shield + sword of the ancestors is a very very
nice combination).

I think Gothic 3, since the 1.70 patch, is easily better than 80+% of other RPGs.

I agree that it was terrible prior to the community patch though..

Which gets back to my point - even as fans of G3 and ardent PB supporters, we all tend to agree that the G3 that THEY delivered and patched was still a fairly broken and buggy mess of a game.

Back
Top Bottom