Dead State - Design Update - No Cars Go

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Brian Mitsoda explains how you will be able to use cars to travel around in and what it will take to get them going in the Dead State:
Getting a car is not as easy as you'd think. Sure, there are cars everywhere, but from a story standpoint, there's a good reason you can't jump in the first car you see. Many cars will have been involved in accidents while trying to escape the cities and are completely unusable. Other cars will have been abandoned with doors opened or headlights on, rendering the battery useless. Some cars will just be too small or fragile to be practical for scavenging purposes. In effect, this means there only a few cars that you're going to find in the game that will be suitable to drive back to the shelter.
Now, you might think that just finding a car is enough, but there's more to it. Before the car can be used on the area map, it's going to need to be transformed into a machine that can withstand the driving conditions of the zombie apocalypse. This is going to require a garage upgrade at your shelter and someone with the Mechanical skill to make these modifications. Once the car is ready for off-road action, the garage can be used to further modify the car (like better fuel efficiency), provided you have the parts and skill to make new additions. Sometimes the car may need routine maintenance to keep it functional, so having someone with the know-how is pretty important.
Cars are obviously much faster than traveling on foot, but at the expense of fuel. Fuel is also used to power the school's generator and in the construction of multiple items (like explosives). Without proper rationing, a fuel shortage could leave the shelter powerless, which could impact Morale. Fuel is also heavy and requires special canisters, so bringing back a lot at once is difficult. The shelter has fuel storage, so you can hold as much fuel in reserve as you can bring back.
More information.

I like the sound of this game more and more. I could give a rat's behind about Bioware's abandonment of traditional RPGs or even attempts at RPGs that they used to make as long as companies out there are making games like Dead State.

Good bye AAA and helloooo indie developers. With The Walking Dead's record breaking ratings this game might just get the attention it deserves when it is finally released.

Dead State does look promising, but I'd stop short of heaping such praise on a game that no one has actually played yet.

You do realize I said it sounds good, right? Keyword in that sentence is sounds.

It's like when I say Dragon Age 2 sounds horrible. I don't actually know yet.

I like it when developers actually talk about making a RPG rather than whatever the hell Dragon Age 2 is supposed to be.

As for that last bit, well I just wanted to throw in a Walking Dead plug. What can I say I like me some Walking Dead :p and normally indies do not get the kind of attention they deserve. Actually they hardly get any attention at all.

Well….

"this game might just get the attention it deserves when it is finally released. "

;)

We'll see… hopefully you're right about it deserving the attention.

Was really just thinking about all indies in general. The timing with this game and the ratings that The Walking Dead is getting is just too good. AAA games normally hog all the news, but yeah I guess I could have rephrased that.

However, if you've read my posts about Dead State you already know how pumped up I am for this game. That sorta bleeds over into my posts :p

So looking forward to this, watching the awesome show The Walking Dead right now gets me even more inspired to play something like this ;)

I read the series up until book 9ish. I'm hardly what you'd call squeamish, but it finally got so brutal I didn't want to know what happened next.

So looking forward to this, watching the awesome show The Walking Dead right now gets me even more inspired to play something like this ;)

You can wet your appetite by trying out Rogue Survivor. However, it's still in the Alpha stage. I just found out about it now and going to try it later this week. I'm not expecting much since it's just an Alpha, but it's better than nothing :)

Dead State is sounding better and better. Can't remember the last time I was looking forward to a game as much as this one.

I'm also enjoying The Walking Dead. DVR's set to record the series and was digging the first two. Thanks to whomever on the forums here gave me the heads up about the show. Might've been you, Skaven. If so, thanks. :)

This post about the importance of fuel in Dead State makes the monkey excited enough to eat someone's brain. :p

The monkey glances sidelong at JDR, identifying his first victim...

You're welcome, Cap. Be careful though. JDR likes to shock the monkey as well ;)

And he's not the only one. Damn you, Peter Gabriel! Damn you and the catchy pop music of your latter solo career!

*shakes a fist toward the sky*

Of late I've adopted a "I'll check it out when it's done" attitude for most PC games. It has spared me a lot of grief when "highly anticipated" games have turned out to be not so great. It's also let me quite enjoy some of those very games because my expectations were not so high as to be impossible to meet.

My gut tells me this game will never see the light of day. I hope m wrong.

Based on what? Their constant updates, the fact that they have a strong community, the fact that zombies are hotter than ever, the fact that Brian Mitsoda is heading this thing?

I would just like to point out one little fact that may take precedence over anything your guts are telling you. When indies go quiet for many months then it's time to start to worry. When they are updating regularly then normally everything is running fine. In addition this isn't just some one man team. This is headed by Brian himself of Troika fame. He has been in the business for awhile now and isn't some newb thinking he can take on a complex rpg.

But you guys go ahead and listen to your gut (make George Bush proud ;)). Mine just tells me when I have to go pee :D

You can wet your appetite by trying out Rogue Survivor. However, it's still in the Alpha stage. I just found out about it now and going to try it later this week. I'm not expecting much since it's just an Alpha, but it's better than nothing :)

Hehe cute game. Would love to have played some 15-20 years ago, when i could accept graphics like that. I've turned into a complete graphics whore :/

Back
Top Bottom