Divinity 2 Divinity 2, to buy or not..

bemushroomed

outlander
Been thinking about getting this game, but i'm worried i wont like it.

How big is the game world and are there many cities to visit?

I read (on Gamespot i believe) a user review and he claimed the game world is very barren and boring, any truth to that? Seems fairly interesting otherwise.

I wouldn't say it's barren and boring (This is talking from D2:ED experience, not the latest iteration of the game), but there's not many towns or cities to visit.

I, personally, really like it but it's not to everyone's taste. There's a demo floating around, too, which should give you a rough idea of what it's like.

yeah i've played the demo and kind of liked it. just want to make sure that the game doesnt turn out to be one of those were they've put most effort in the first 2 hours and very little in the rest of the game :)

edit: oh, it seems like i should get Dragon Knight Saga, which seems to be some kind of remastered version? Anyone know what the changes are (i know it includes an expansion).

Last edited:
edit: oh, it seems like i should get Dragon Knight Saga, which seems to be some kind of remastered version? Anyone know what the changes are (i know it includes an expansion).
From what I can recall, it's more balanced now and it should perform a lot better. Not got it myself, so I can't tell you, but everything I've heard points to big improvements.

You could try DKS, rather than the original, I guess.

You could try DKS, rather than the original, I guess.

As Alrik says make sure you buy the DKS version it has all the content plus more fixes than just buying the original.The game is enjoyable but still has some small flaws.

Has anyone played the 360 version? Wondering if I should pick this up myself.

I loved Div Div - never played Beyond Divinity though and haven't really read too much about Div 2 but the consensus seems to be that it's just ok.

It's better than either Arcania or Two Worlds 2.

If you wanna play a modern fantasy RPG rightnow, I'd say go for it.

DKS is just the original plus the expansion Flames of Vengeance. The "remastered" part barely shows on a high-end computer — maybe it helps low-end units more.

Div2 (Original) is long and invloved and is almost two games in style. The first half is to most RPGers the best part — a very good RPG with a lot of possibilities. Personally, I loved the first half. But the second half is almost a pure hack-and-slash with the added bit of riding a dragon. Hack-and-slash is not my thing, but I still liked the second half for what it was. Classic RPGers tend to be disapointed with the second half, and and some hack-and-slashers dislike the first half.

FoV is an expansion that is included in the DKS. I liked it almost as much as the first half of the original, but it is nothing like the original in style or gameplay — more of an adventure/mystery with almost no handholding or help, and far less combat.

If you did not purchase the original and like RPGs — DKS is close to a no-brainer. Adding just the FoV expansion to the original is a tougher call — you might be surprised with what you get with the expansion.

BTW — a review on FoV is due out later this week on RPGwatch.

well here are my quick impressions (posted in another thread too);

I'm a few hours into The Dragon Knight Saga, and i think it's quite good. The fighting is probably its weakest point, worse than TW2 for example, its very easy in TW2 but even more arcadey here. Looting isnt as fun as TW1/2 either. Havent gotten into crafting yet (if it even exists?).

I really like their building designs, Lovis Tower looked really epic for example.

It's more arcadey than most RPG's, loot is hovering above ground, no falling damage etc.. I like the short jumping puzzles, also very arcadey but fun.

TW2 looks better and performs more than twice as good. I'm getting around 25-30 FPS, can't even run it on higest settings (no problems in TW2). A little surprised by that, it doesnt run better than the now very old demo. The only difference i can see graphically was the smoother animations (still not super smooth, but acceptable).

Overall, i like it. I also like the devs sense of humor, it's a lot funnier than most RPG's (including TW2 where the devs just tries too hard).

I've been enjoying the game for quite a few hours now (20 plus) but I'm beginning to have problems with the bugs piling up. Too many NPCs are in places that make it impossible to continue with their side-quests. And more and more side quests are becoming affected. It is to the point that when I'm stumped by a puzzle, I have to quit out to make sure I'm not running into a bug. Playing today, I spent more time out of the game than in it. I finally emailed off a Save game in an attempt to salvage my progress so far, having encountered a cluster of bugs. Reading the forums, it looks like I'll have to repeat this process again in the future. I don't know how long it will take them to return the fixed Save game, and I'll be able to continue playing. This is the point where I have to question the purchase.

It's still a fun game, but if I had known then what I know now? I would have waited a good while longer (several more patches) before purchasing.

I've been enjoying the game for quite a few hours now (20 plus) but I'm beginning to have problems with the bugs piling up. Too many NPCs are in places that make it impossible to continue with their side-quests. And more and more side quests are becoming affected. It is to the point that when I'm stumped by a puzzle, I have to quit out to make sure I'm not running into a bug. Playing today, I spent more time out of the game than in it. I finally emailed off a Save game in an attempt to salvage my progress so far, having encountered a cluster of bugs. Reading the forums, it looks like I'll have to repeat this process again in the future. I don't know how long it will take them to return the fixed Save game, and I'll be able to continue playing. This is the point where I have to question the purchase.

It's still a fun game, but if I had known then what I know now? I would have waited a good while longer (several more patches) before purchasing.
I was going to play it right now but that sounds awful. Stupid bugs. They still did not manage to fix the game.

Are you playing divinity 2 or dragon knight saga?

That pytricc guy is crazy and mostly lying, from what I can tell. I don't even think he's talking about DKS in his ranty little post. I don't know what he's talking about, in fact. Don't take his anecdotal evidence as some hardline facts about the game. It's not buggy. It's incredibly polished and none of the other RPGs that came out in the last little bit even come close to DKS in terms of quality.

The only problem I've had with DKS is I fell through the ground on three separate occasions (which is indeed irritating, but hardly a deal breaker. it did make me map quicksave/quickload keys immediately afterwards though). I'm at ~20 hours in myself. I've had no problems with NPC's being 'in places that make it impossible to continue with their side-quests'. I've had no problems with NPCs being in odd places in general. I've never had NPC's even wander from where they're supposed to be. I've hit no bugged quests at all and I cleared out the entire first region. I've hit some odd puzzles, but nothing that was actually bugged. I've hit no game breaking issues. Aside from falling through the ground, I've actually hit none.

Basically, ignore that guy. I don't even think he's playing the same game. DKS is easily RPG of the year. It is probably the best RPG to come out since Arx Fatalis.

Thats what I thought. Ill install the hot fix patch though to be sure.

Im pretty sure I will like this. I played the original through twice and even made myself finish beyond divinity too.

>>That pytricc guy is crazy and mostly lying, from what I can tell.

Wow, really? Welcome to RPGWatch, pytricc! I purchased Dragon Knight Saga from Larian Studios download site, Windows PC, English Language version.

Everything I talked about is verifiable by reading the Larian forums.

Visit Forums » Divinity II – The Dragon Knight Saga / Flames of Vengeance (English) » Technical problems

Check out these threads:
Raze's Headquarters Bug - can't see Raze
[BUG] Imp's Lair and a few others
Problem with High Hall troll quest
What the F.. xD

That last one has this particularly hilarious bugged encounter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlNaF8SR30M

The good news is, the support from Larian Studios is gob-smackingly terrific. If you send a Save game to their support email, they will fix your problem and send you back the file. Usually in less than 24 hours. They've fixed two of my Save games so far, and in both instances they were incredibly polite and helpful. I've never seen support like that for ANY game. So --if you don't mind delaying your play for 24 hours at a stretch, feel free to purchase it now. Otherwise, wait a few patches.

Any company that supports their game the way Larian does, deserves to have your money. But if you want a smoother play experience, wait for at least one more patch. Several of the threads I linked to mention a patch forthcoming to fix the current issues with misplaced spawns.

In any case, enjoy your game.

Wow this is hugely disappointing.

I've played now right up to getting the Battle Tower and have not seen a single bug. It seems all the ones you listed happen after the Battle Tower... Should I hold off on playing until it's patched?

Ovenall,

We're getting spoilerish here so I'm going to try that 'Spoiler' icon in the Message editor. Here goes (only minor spoilers):

The bugs I encountered were all after the Battle Tower. They are cropping up left and right in Orobas Fjords, and in another region you reach during your time in the Fjords, the Flying Fortresses. I've encountered five separate displaced PCs: Two of those I could work around; the other three would prohibit me from completing five different side quests; (yes, I know that sounds odd, but one of those three, an Imp Totem Shaman, was tied in with three separate quests.)

The bad news is that according to one dev post, the patch won't fix this problem for current games. Apparently you would have to start over. You might want to create a post and ask about this there; the dev's have been very responsive and some clarification would be nice.

The good news is 1) not everyone encounters these bugs, and 2) as you encounter a bug, the dev's will fix your Save game if you email it to them, with a turn-around time of approximately 24 hours.

The patch will fix a bigger problem with one region though, and with any new games you start, so there's that.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you would like me to make a post of the bugged NPCs I've encountered, I could do that as well.

Welcome to RPGWatch! :)

I also had similar bugs in the second half of the game. But this was D2 vanilla (German) plus add-on, not DKS. FoV was nearly bug-free.

Back
Top Bottom