Diablo 3 - The Shared Stash, Skills Calculator

The problem is that Blizzard are successful enough to not have to listen to players, once they've made up their minds. With so many subscribers to WoW - they can point to any single design decision as part of the reason for success. Personally, I think the original design of WoW is the reason for success - and everything since then is a mismatch of decent to absolutely atrocious design decisions.

Obviously, they don't want to "restrict" players by forcing them to use their heads when building characters. This direction seems to be very popular in WoW - and I guess they've "learned" from that and applied it do Diablo 3.

Personally, I'm not at all convinced it's a smart way to establish a long-term replayable experience - but I doubt Blizzard are willing to listen on this point.

To me, this way of handling skills in Diablo 3 - is like letting players swap cards in and out of their deck in Magic the Gathering during play, and at will. Imagine the 4 Act campaign is the match/tournament - and your character is your deck. I always LOVED the strategic deckbuilding aspect of MtG - so I think this direction is awful in D3.

Sure, MtG would be a MUCH more flexible game - but the entire strategic aspect of planning your deck and optimising it for performance is utterly lost.

It's ok to allow players to respec - but for pity's sake, don't let it be a trivial and "free" process. Make the build MATTER.

What's worse, is that I imagine a lot of Diablo 3 builds being based on this "hot-swapping" - meaning the game will motivate insane amounts of fiddly clicking for the best damage output and general performance.

It seems many of the arguments for the new system assume all players are power gamers who are more interested in constant dominance, character uniqueness be damned!

No, you didn't seem to read my post very well. Some us don't like to grind through hours of repetitive gameplay just to try a new build.

Incorrect. At least as far as the beta vids have shown and the debates have raged on the D3 forum. You can currently respec anywhere, anytime. Even in the midst of combat.

That does in fact appear to be correct, and very silly. Hopefully that will change in the final version, as it seems to go against what Blizzard has said that they were trying to do with the skill system.

The problem is that Blizzard are successful enough to not have to listen to players, once they've made up their minds. With so many subscribers to WoW - they can point to any single design decision as part of the reason for success. Personally, I think the original design of WoW is the reason for success - and everything since then is a mismatch of decent to absolutely atrocious design decisions.

Well but the WoW customer base has grown enormously since they made modifications to the original design. You may dislike the recent changes, but by my experiences you are in the minority. This isn't to say that they haven't made misteps, but to claim that they are mismanaging their game just because you personally don't like some of their changes seems a bit much.

Regarding character design in the original WoW, there were no options, only the illusion of options. For example if you wanted to play a PvE rogue you used a specific combat build with no variation in how you applied your talent points. There was no planning or smart choices, only looking up the best build on a website.

Of course that's still true to a lesser extent today, but at least the different specs are all usefull. But the skill point system is still largely meaningless, except maybe in PVP.

Well but the WoW customer base has grown enormously since they made modifications to the original design. You may dislike the recent changes, but by my experiences you are in the minority. This isn't to say that they haven't made misteps, but to claim that they are mismanaging their game just because you personally don't like some of their changes seems a bit much.

I'm not saying they're mismanaging the game. I'm saying I think their design decisions have been very questionable. Their customer base has grown because the game represents a big explosion and a popular trend. I'm saying most of their changes haven't actually mattered in terms of the increase in population.

Sometimes, things don't need to evolve or change to get more people to play. Sometimes, the snowball just needs to get rolling to grow - and you don't really need more than that.

Regarding character design in the original WoW, there were no options, only the illusion of options. For example if you wanted to play a PvE rogue you used a specific combat build with no variation in how you applied your talent points. There was no planning or smart choices, only looking up the best build on a website.

Speaking as someone everyone I ever raided with (I've been in at least 10 guilds and I've raided with several hundred people) regarded as #1 DPS rogue from Shadowsong Europe for 3 years - Horde side - I can tell you that's blatantly false. But there were thousands of people in game and on the official forums who claimed to understand the rogue and advertised this build or the other as the "top build". It took me months and months to separate the ignorant bullshit from the facts established by dedicated mathematicians and people not interested in boasting but simply arriving at the most useful conclusions.

Truth is that while some builds were more efficient for raiding - there were a lot of nuances and variation in each of them, which could suit specific playstyles or gear setups.

Then we have the endless variety of factors related to specific encounters and their required roles and buffs - that I don't even want to get into here. There was never a single "top build" that you could rely on to perform optimally for every single encounter - and PvE raiding was never the only part of the game anyway. Oh, there were "patches" that lasted for a few months where one tree significantly outperformed the others, but there was still significant variation within the build - especially if you weren't just into raiding.

Maybe one in a thousand of the people who stood on a pedestal and tried to educate others knew what they were really talking about, and all their theorycrafting was always based on the ideal setup and situation with exclusively static raid encounters in mind. That's because you can't do math for the unpredictable nature of most other things.

After a while, if you're insane enough to really want to invest that amount of time learning how to do something - you find out what's what.

After having invested so much of myself learning to understand the intricacies of combat/gear mechanics and the ridiculous amount of math involved (and oh my, what a waste of life it was) - I have to say you shine out as just another person who speaks from a position of utter ignorance about the subject at hand.

Of course that's still true to a lesser extent today, but at least the different specs are all usefull. But the skill point system is still largely meaningless, except maybe in PVP.

I'm not really keeping up on recent changes, but I do know that WoW always had a big problem with letting players retain a unique identity. Builds used to partially alleviate that problem, but after dual-speccing and the hefty tree-bonuses - that's all but gone.

I can't imagine it has improved in recent months.

Last edited:
Well it has been a long time since vanilla wow so my memory of the way the different specs broke down in terms of dps may be flawed, but I was also the #1 rogue DPS in a major guild, and I was one of the first people to work on a rogue spreadsheet to determine how much every stat point was worth on average (although the later rogue spreadsheets that came out were way better then mine). So I definitely know what I'm talking about and what I can tell you was that there was always almost always a mathematically superior build, even if the math did vary a bit by encounter. You didn't necesarily HAVE to follow the build, I was generally a bit of a rebel myself and sometimes took builds I enjoyed even if they weren't always the top dps specs and it didn't stop me from being #1 because I was a good enough of a player. But there was almost always clearly a most efficient build. You can go to a site like elitist jerks now and read incredibly detailed mathematical breakdowns of dps specs, done by people whose mathematical prowess I am in awe of, and who are widely regarded by the community as being the experts of the specific classes. And it almost always boils down to "if you want to play this spec, this is the exact talent point build you use". Sometimes you have a couple points to play with, but the number of options is rarely significant. You can break away from the best talent build if you want, but it's always with the understanding that your dps will be lower.

So yes I understand that back when you were playing there were a lot of people with a lot of bad opinions. The community and the math has evolved greatly since then and it's now MUCH easier to find recognized experts on classes and builds. So don't assume that I don't know what I'm talking about just because in your day you encountered a lot of people who didn't.

Edit: Oh and in terms of players determining your identity in WoW, well it's still not great, I don't think it's any better or worse. Pretty much every spec is viable now which helps for a little identity because there are more options. The classes are a lot more complicated to play then in vanilla days, so people tend to stick with a specific build despite the easy option to switch just because it's frequently hard to master a new build. But as you say WoW has never been great about character identity.

Last edited:
No, you didn't seem to read my post very well. Some us don't like to grind through hours of repetitive gameplay just to try a new build.
Oh. I'm sorry. I didn't know the definition of "many" had been changed to "you specifically, Thrasher". :-|

Look, I'm not saying power gaming is wrong. It's just another way to play. What worries me is design decisions that seem to be driven from the power gaming perspective only. Take, for instance, the claims (some made by Blizzard reps themselves) that D2 attribute and skill point systems were broken and meaningless and that everyone just went to the web for the best build anyway. What a gross oversimplification, and, again, solely from the perspective of the power gamer. I don't go to the web to follow the "best" build. I usually have an idea of the character I want to play when I start and I pursue that, best or not. But I also make skill and attribute decisions as I go, which is part of the enjoyment for me. I like having to make decisions and then find a way to live with them. That's part of the challenge of a game, in my opinion, and it builds character, both literally and figuratively. :)

Just the other day, I was deciding where to spend my precious few attribute points for my hardcore D2 assassin. Wasn't hitting as often as I wanted, wanted to be able to fire off a few more specials before running out of mana, and being hardcore, always in need of more HP. So there I was deciding between three immediate, competing needs. Hardly meaningless. And, being the kind of gamer I am, an enjoyable dilemma.

So I'm concerned that if power gaming is the only kind of gamer that factors into the design decisions for D3, where does that leave a gamer like me?

Well i certainly didn't go for the best build when I played Diablo 2, and suffered for it at Hell difficulty level. It would have been nice to have rejiggered my build a bit.

Power gamers and PvP though seems like a more natural fit, though. If you want to be competitive you have to optimize, it seems.

Well it has been a long time since vanilla wow so my memory of the way the different specs broke down in terms of dps may be flawed, but I was also the #1 rogue DPS in a major guild, and I was one of the first people to work on a rogue spreadsheet to determine how much every stat point was worth on average (although the later rogue spreadsheets that came out were way better then mine). So I definitely know what I'm talking about and what I can tell you was that there was always almost always a mathematically superior build, even if the math did vary a bit by encounter. You didn't necesarily HAVE to follow the build, I was generally a bit of a rebel myself and sometimes took builds I enjoyed even if they weren't always the top dps specs and it didn't stop me from being #1 because I was a good enough of a player. But there was almost always clearly a most efficient build. You can go to a site like elitist jerks now and read incredibly detailed mathematical breakdowns of dps specs, done by people whose mathematical prowess I am in awe of, and who are widely regarded by the community as being the experts of the specific classes. And it almost always boils down to "if you want to play this spec, this is the exact talent point build you use". Sometimes you have a couple points to play with, but the number of options is rarely significant. You can break away from the best talent build if you want, but it's always with the understanding that your dps will be lower.

So yes I understand that back when you were playing there were a lot of people with a lot of bad opinions. The community and the math has evolved greatly since then and it's now MUCH easier to find recognized experts on classes and builds. So don't assume that I don't know what I'm talking about just because in your day you encountered a lot of people who didn't.

Edit: Oh and in terms of players determining your identity in WoW, well it's still not great, I don't think it's any better or worse. Pretty much every spec is viable now which helps for a little identity because there are more options. The classes are a lot more complicated to play then in vanilla days, so people tend to stick with a specific build despite the easy option to switch just because it's frequently hard to master a new build. But as you say WoW has never been great about character identity.

First of all, I apologise for assuming you were ignorant - but it wasn't based on the fact that I've met a lot of people who were - but on what you said, which I still consider blatantly false.

But I see now that you have significant knowledge about this - and we simply disagree about it and maybe it's about perception more than anything. That's ok, I've had countless debates with countless competent rogues about the same thing, and some of them actually knew quite a lot themselves.

The issue with EJ (yeah, I spent countless hours there myself) and theorycrafting like it - is that it's based on math and static encounters - and is mostly about what happens during a raid. I won't deny that there is a LOT of useful information that you can use whether learned or not - and it WILL help you perform better, if you take the time to understand it in-depth.

The thing is that people are not just raiding, and during raids - they're not just DPS'ing - even as rogues.

It's true that if you could predict everything from gear setup to buffs (buffs worked VERY differently in vanilla), to exact encounter setup and playstyle - you COULD find a build that would perform better than others, but you can't - and you never could. Back in the day, getting your hands on a weapon like Thunderfury - could totally skew the numbers - and the "top build" was combat daggers back then. That weapon alone could make combat swords the most efficient one - especially if you had access to Windfury buff and so forth.

Yes, it's true - that for every "gear setup" - there will be an optimal build for PvE raiding during static encounters (as in, you mostly get to fight it from the back without too much shit going on around you), but not for PvE 5-man dungeons, and most certainly not for PvP arena/BGs. You can't "trivialise" those parts of the game, because they're HUGE - and lots of people don't even raid in the first place. So, the fact is that there are MANY builds that are viable for many parts of the game. For PvP alone, there must be at least 5 VERY different builds that are all a part of top-end arena play.

Another vital point that so many people overlook when they come up with this claim that "you can just look up the perfect build - and choice is irrelevant" - is that it has taken YEARS post-release to come up with this math, and to figure out what happens behind the curtain. Blizzard have changed everything several times over, and in the past - everything was much more opaque than it is now. So, even if there was a single perfect build available for all situations - it would still have taken years to arrive at it. I hate to break it to you, but people are playing the game during those years - and while they're waiting for the theorycrafters - there is lots of experimentation going on that's FUN. Exactly like Magic the Gathering was incredibly fun for the first 3 years (before the real Internet revolution), before everything was analysed to death and became available on the net for all too see.

The issue with "math people" - and I'll readily admit that there were some pretty amazing high-level dudes on forums back when I was playing, is that they tend to exclusively focus on the predictable - and forget the actual game, thinking they take everything relevant into account when making those Excel spreadsheets. I was raiding with a few people like that, and they always ended up performing much below me, because they couldn't think outside the box - and they forgot that actual movement and a constant awareness of the environment meant just as much in many scenarios. I'm not even going to get into how they perfomed in PvP. There are no optimal DPS cycles in PvP. Naturally, not all mathematicians are like that - but that's the trend I noticed with people obsessed with numbers and the idea that you could figure out everything with them.

Anyway, this could become a very long debate - and given your level of knowledge, I think you know that what I'm saying is true - even if we disagree in terms of conclusion.

If you still insist there was a "top build" in vanilla for everyone to simply look up, and that it's always been there - then we simply disagree. It might be about perception, but I most definitely don't agree with that. I'm sure the way Blizzard have handled the game in recent years have made it much more accessible, and the "top builds" more "top" - but I'd bet my life there's still unpredictable encounters during raids, and lots of PvP with lots of builds.

So, unless Blizzard does something to change this concept of skill-swapping at will - I think the game WILL suffer for it. Exactly like I think WoW has suffered greatly from being turned into a giant instanced candy-dispenser with dual-speccing and narrow tree setups.

I know a lot of players are happier that they don't have to work to get gear and worry about their builds - but I'm not convinced they wouldn't have been playing the game without these changes, and I'm not convinced they actually know what's the most fun for themselves in the long-term.

The work/grind has simply changed from getting the first epics to getting the "new epic" every 10 minutes. People are still on the hamster wheel, it's just a lot more blatantly streamlined and predictable.

Last edited:
Well i certainly didn't go for the best build when I played Diablo 2, and suffered for it at Hell difficulty level. It would have been nice to have rejiggered my build a bit.

Power gamers and PvP though seems like a more natural fit, though. If you want to be competitive you have to optimize, it seems.

Exactly what I'm talking about. I spent dozens and dozens and dozens of hours playing D2, never completed Nightmare, let alone Hell, and never PvP'd. Not because my builds were gimped (probably were, never found out, didn't care), but rather because I was more interested in trying a new build than plowing through 3 difficulties with a single build or being an elite dueler or griefer.

You are correct, of course, that the Diablo series is a natural fit for PvP and power gaming. No argument there. I'm just hoping the design decisions aren't so one-sided as to make the game significantly less fun for me and my style of gaming. We'll see...

Well there may be some misunderstanding about what my argument is here, and it's definitely at least partially my fault. But I was never saying that your spec was predetermined. Individual specs (such as say combat swords vs combat daggers) were often (but not always) distinct enough that it wasn't always black and white enough to say one was strictly superior even in a raid. For example I raided combat swords instead of combat daggers, because even though combat daggers was superior on paper, because I hated the position requirement. I saw a lot of guild rogues whose dps went down after getting an epic dagger who had the same problem.

What I am saying however is that once you picked your build your talent points were largely predetermined. If you decided to be a combat sword rogue, then there was generally one build you would use. There might be a few minor decisions that you made, but they weren't really dramatic or interesting ones, usually more related to math. They could have accomplished the same thing if they just clicked one button to be a combat rogue, one to be assination, etc. And if as in your example you obtained thunderfury (my guild gave the bindngs to our main tank) then you didn't even have that much choice. You had to be combat swords.

Blizzard agrees with this assessment and has officially said so. This is what caused them to completely revamp the talent trees. Their goal was to create actual choices when creating your character beyond just what spec you were going to use. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the new talent trees, but in general this was a goal that they completely failed at. On the plus side they did do an excellent job of making the specs all useful for PVE as well as being much more complicated.

This is ultimately probably a big part of why D3 lost it's skill trees. Blizzard just doesn't have a good track record for making talent/skill trees which stand the test of time and they know it.

Finally I do agree that things were much less black and white in pvp, and your talent choices were much more interesting there. If you were to approach the game from a purely pvp perspective then the talent trees could be viewed as much more succesful. WOW had traditionally focused more on pve though.

First of all, I apologise for assuming you were ignorant - but it wasn't based on the fact that I've met a lot of people who were - but on what you said, which I still consider blatantly false.

But I see now that you have significant knowledge about this - and we simply disagree about it and maybe it's about perception more than anything. That's ok, I've had countless debates with countless competent rogues about the same thing, and some of them actually knew quite a lot themselves.

The issue with EJ (yeah, I spent countless hours there myself) and theorycrafting like it - is that it's based on math and static encounters - and is mostly about what happens during a raid. I won't deny that there is a LOT of useful information that you can use whether learned or not - and it WILL help you perform better, if you take the time to understand it in-depth.

The thing is that people are not just raiding, and during raids - they're not just DPS'ing - even as rogues.

It's true that if you could predict everything from gear setup to buffs (buffs worked VERY differently in vanilla), to exact encounter setup and playstyle - you COULD find a build that would perform better than others, but you can't - and you never could. Back in the day, getting your hands on a weapon like Thunderfury - could totally skew the numbers - and the "top build" was combat daggers back then. That weapon alone could make combat swords the most efficient one - especially if you had access to Windfury buff and so forth.

Yes, it's true - that for every "gear setup" - there will be an optimal build for PvE raiding during static encounters (as in, you mostly get to fight it from the back without too much shit going on around you), but not for PvE 5-man dungeons, and most certainly not for PvP arena/BGs. You can't "trivialise" those parts of the game, because they're HUGE - and lots of people don't even raid in the first place. So, the fact is that there are MANY builds that are viable for many parts of the game. For PvP alone, there must be at least 5 VERY different builds that are all a part of top-end arena play.

Another vital point that so many people overlook when they come up with this claim that "you can just look up the perfect build - and choice is irrelevant" - is that it has taken YEARS post-release to come up with this math, and to figure out what happens behind the curtain. Blizzard have changed everything several times over, and in the past - everything was much more opaque than it is now. So, even if there was a single perfect build available for all situations - it would still have taken years to arrive at it. I hate to break it to you, but people are playing the game during those years - and while they're waiting for the theorycrafters - there is lots of experimentation going on that's FUN. Exactly like Magic the Gathering was incredibly fun for the first 3 years (before the real Internet revolution), before everything was analysed to death and became available on the net for all too see.

The issue with "math people" - and I'll readily admit that there were some pretty amazing high-level dudes on forums back when I was playing, is that they tend to exclusively focus on the predictable - and forget the actual game, thinking they take everything relevant into account when making those Excel spreadsheets. I was raiding with a few people like that, and they always ended up performing much below me, because they couldn't think outside the box - and they forgot that actual movement and a constant awareness of the environment meant just as much in many scenarios. I'm not even going to get into how they perfomed in PvP. There are no optimal DPS cycles in PvP. Naturally, not all mathematicians are like that - but that's the trend I noticed with people obsessed with numbers and the idea that you could figure out everything with them.

Anyway, this could become a very long debate - and given your level of knowledge, I think you know that what I'm saying is true - even if we disagree in terms of conclusion.

If you still insist there was a "top build" in vanilla for everyone to simply look up, and that it's always been there - then we simply disagree. It might be about perception, but I most definitely don't agree with that. I'm sure the way Blizzard have handled the game in recent years have made it much more accessible, and the "top builds" more "top" - but I'd bet my life there's still unpredictable encounters during raids, and lots of PvP with lots of builds.

So, unless Blizzard does something to change this concept of skill-swapping at will - I think the game WILL suffer for it. Exactly like I think WoW has suffered greatly from being turned into a giant instanced candy-dispenser with dual-speccing and narrow tree setups.

I know a lot of players are happier that they don't have to work to get gear and worry about their builds - but I'm not convinced they wouldn't have been playing the game without these changes, and I'm not convinced they actually know what's the most fun for themselves in the long-term.

The work/grind has simply changed from getting the first epics to getting the "new epic" every 10 minutes. People are still on the hamster wheel, it's just a lot more blatantly streamlined and predictable.

Well there may be some misunderstanding about what my argument is here, and it's definitely at least partially my fault. But I was never saying that your spec was predetermined. Individual specs (such as say combat swords vs combat daggers) were often (but not always) distinct enough that it wasn't always black and white enough to say one was strictly superior even in a raid. For example I raided combat swords instead of combat daggers, because even though combat daggers was superior on paper, because I hated the position requirement. I saw a lot of guild rogues whose dps went down after getting an epic dagger who had the same problem.

What I am saying however is that once you picked your build your talent points were largely predetermined. If you decided to be a combat sword rogue, then there was generally one build you would use. There might be a few minor decisions that you made, but they weren't really dramatic or interesting ones, usually more related to math. They could have accomplished the same thing if they just clicked one button to be a combat rogue, one to be assination, etc. And if as in your example you obtained thunderfury (my guild gave the bindngs to our main tank) then you didn't even have that much choice. You had to be combat swords.

Blizzard agrees with this assessment and has officially said so. This is what caused them to completely revamp the talent trees. Their goal was to create actual choices when creating your character beyond just what spec you were going to use. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the new talent trees, but in general this was a goal that they completely failed at. On the plus side they did do an excellent job of making the specs all useful for PVE as well as being much more complicated.

This is ultimately probably a big part of why D3 lost it's skill trees. Blizzard just doesn't have a good track record for making talent/skill trees which stand the test of time and they know it.

Finally I do agree that things were much less black and white in pvp, and your talent choices were much more interesting there. If you were to approach the game from a purely pvp perspective then the talent trees could be viewed as much more succesful. WOW had traditionally focused more on pve though.

Well, it would seem we're closer in opinion than it originally seemed. Though you seem to have ignored my point about how long it has taken the experts to come up with these "top builds" and the math underpinning.

Kinda strange, as your case seems to be against the concept of having talent trees (or skill setups in D3) matter and require pre-planning.

Are you saying you'd prefer a game without diversive builds, and without the strategic aspect of planning a powerful character with a lot of experimentation required?

Maybe I misunderstood, but it seems you're being supportive of letting skills be switchable at all times, and without restriction?

Well I'm not necesarily against talent trees, but I guess my point was just that they don't always provide the customization that we think they do. That's why I'm kind of interested in how Blizzard is doing something new and different in D3 with skill setups. But we will have to see how they work. In theory it looks like it could lead to a lot more build options then a skill point system. But sometimes looks can be deceiving.

I kind of like the idea of being encouraged to try out a lot of different skills as you play, as opposed to being locked into a few skills because you put points into them. But I also like the idea of having some commitment to a spec, even if just through the items you collect or the runes you take. Currently in the beta of D3 you can change skills on the fly and I'm seriously hoping that's not going to be in the final game. Many think it will not, but again, who knows.

Oh and for your other point, yes it wasn't until BC that our math and modeling advanced enough that we could absolutely say that talent x is .5% better then talent y. But even in vanilla we generally a pretty good idea of what talents which were stronger then others. As I said, there was some disagreement there, which lead to a few choices but they were not interesting choices that changed how you played, rather just mathematical choices like will passive bonus A or B make my attacks hit harder.

Well, it would seem we're closer in opinion than it originally seemed. Though you seem to have ignored my point about how long it has taken the experts to come up with these "top builds" and the math underpinning.

Kinda strange, as your case seems to be against the concept of having talent trees (or skill setups in D3) matter and require pre-planning.

Are you saying you'd prefer a game without diversive builds, and without the strategic aspect of planning a powerful character with a lot of experimentation required?

Maybe I misunderstood, but it seems you're being supportive of letting skills be switchable at all times, and without restriction?

Well I'm not necesarily against talent trees, but I guess my point was just that they don't always provide the customization that we think they do. That's why I'm kind of interested in how Blizzard is doing something new and different in D3 with skill setups. But we will have to see how they work. In theory it looks like it could lead to a lot more build options then a skill point system. But sometimes looks can be deceiving.

I kind of like the idea of being encouraged to try out a lot of different skills as you play, as opposed to being locked into a few skills because you put points into them. But I also like the idea of having some commitment to a spec, even if just through the items you collect or the runes you take. Currently in the beta of D3 you can change skills on the fly and I'm seriously hoping that's not going to be in the final game. Many think it will not, but again, who knows.

Oh and for your other point, yes it wasn't until BC that our math and modeling advanced enough that we could absolutely say that talent x is .5% better then talent y. But even in vanilla we generally a pretty good idea of what talents which were stronger then others. As I said, there was some disagreement there, which lead to a few choices but they were not interesting choices that changed how you played, rather just mathematical choices like will passive bonus A or B make my attacks hit harder.

We certainly agree about D3, in that I also hope they change the system from what it is now.

My personal suggestion would be to introduce rank decay. As in, you only maintain rank in the skills you have on your hotbar (regardless of use), and you only increase rank for the skills you actively use (passives are used automatically) - and rank drops for the skills you don't. If maximum rank depends on your level - then ensure it's only possible to have maximum rank for the amount of skills available on your hotbar, so as to avoid people switching skills constantly to maintain rank. Also, newly acquired skills would need to start at rank 1 - no matter your character level.

A simple and elegant system that would still strongly encourage experimentation, but would also encourage sticking to a build once it has been established.

As for choices not being interesting or mattering in WoW, I severely disagree. I've played several completely different builds with a LOT of minor variation in each of them that actually made a difference - and they were all suited for different things.

I think the talent trees made a huge and significant difference, though I agree that you generally end up with a tiny handful of builds that compete with each other when you're dealing with a single purpose, like dealing optimal damage during raids. But even those builds can perform differently depending on the encounter you're having, and how much you need to move around and how hard it is to survive.

Again, I think people are staring blindly at the numbers and forgetting how the game actually plays - when they're using these spreadsheets to determine the perfect build. One thing is theory and the other is reality. Also, it's STILL exclusively for raids AND after a ton of experimentation, which we can all contribute to when just having fun.

At this point, it would seem we're just repeating ourselves, though.

So, let's just agree to disagree about talent trees in vanilla WoW - and to what extent the choices you made mattered.

We can definitely agree to disagree on talents in vanilla wow. For D3 I'd be happier with just something simple like you can only respec when you return to town, as opposed to the current ability to do it on the fly. I like the idea of encouraging people to freely play with skills as they level up. I would rely on things like gear and practice to encourage people to stick with a current spec once they get to a higher level. For example, in WoW right now it's really easy to respec, but people are actually LESS likely to change their spec all the time then they were back in the early days. This is because it takes much more time to learn to play a spec well then it used to. Plus different specs work better with different gear and it's not always so easy to get a new set of epic gear.

Note that this is just what I'd do in D3, not necesarily what I'd want to see done in every game.

What's interesting is reading the opinions ot the people on the D3 boards, because almost nobody there seems to think you should have to return to town to change your spec. The argument there is just about whether you should be able to change your spec in the middle of combat or if you should have to wait until the combat is over.

We certainly agree about D3, in that I also hope they change the system from what it is now.

My personal suggestion would be to introduce rank decay. As in, you only maintain rank in the skills you have on your hotbar (regardless of use), and you only increase rank for the skills you actively use (passives are used automatically) - and rank drops for the skills you don't. If maximum rank depends on your level - then ensure it's only possible to have maximum rank for the amount of skills available on your hotbar, so as to avoid people switching skills constantly to maintain rank. Also, newly acquired skills would need to start at rank 1 - no matter your character level.

A simple and elegant system that would still strongly encourage experimentation, but would also encourage sticking to a build once it has been established.

As for choices not being interesting or mattering in WoW, I severely disagree. I've played several completely different builds with a LOT of minor variation in each of them that actually made a difference - and they were all suited for different things.

I think the talent trees made a huge and significant difference, though I agree that you generally end up with a tiny handful of builds that compete with each other when you're dealing with a single purpose, like dealing optimal damage during raids. But even those builds can perform differently depending on the encounter you're having, and how much you need to move around and how hard it is to survive.

Again, I think people are staring blindly at the numbers and forgetting how the game actually plays - when they're using these spreadsheets to determine the perfect build. One thing is theory and the other is reality. Also, it's STILL exclusively for raids AND after a ton of experimentation, which we can all contribute to when just having fun.

At this point, it would seem we're just repeating ourselves, though.

So, let's just agree to disagree about talent trees in vanilla WoW - and to what extent the choices you made mattered.

As an update, Blizzard has said that you will definitely not be able to swap skills in combat in the final version. They are not yet sure whether skill swapping will require a trip back to town or to simply be out of combat. Blizzard said that they would prefer it to be done simply out of combat, but that they would would need to make absolutely sure that there was no way to do it during a fight as their first priority, and that might make it require a town visit.

Back
Top Bottom