Salt and Sanctuary - Review @ theEscapist

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Kyle MacGregor (theEscapist) has reviewed the PS4 version of the 2D-RPG Salt and Sanctuary. The game is coming later to PS Vita and PC:

Salt and Sanctuary Review - Soulsvania

[...]

Whether it's zombies, a hulking dragon, or the terrain itself, just about everything in the world of Salt & Sanctuary threatens the player's continued existence. Moreover, nothing tells you where to go, what to do, or how to do it. The developer, Ska Studios, invites us to explore and learn from our failures. It encourages us to take note of its intricacies: how enemies move, when they strike, what booby traps and other surprises lay in wait, at the ready to kill or maim us.

This process will eventually lead players to move from one sanctuary to the next, braving hordes of bloodthirsty creatures that dwell in forests, towers, caverns, and dungeons which stretch between places of respite. This difficult road is also punctuated by powerful foes and mighty bosses who are the gatekeepers to your progress. I often found myself crashing against them like waves beating a cliffside, slowly making progress by eroding the challenge before me. Sometimes I would need to become stronger, or rethink my strategy. Other times, I would need to become painfully intimate with my surroundings and fight with near-perfect execution.

This can be arduous, but the frustrations always seem to melt away when failure, at long last, gives way to success. The elation that comes from overcoming a boundary is proportional to how difficult it was to best. It's something that creates a feedback loop, impelling us to charge headlong into the next crucible, so we can be beat down and built up all over again.

That dysfunctional relationship is something fans of From Software's work know well by this point, and Ska Studios has mimicked the formula beautifully. It lives up to its billing as a blend of Castlevania and Dark Souls, presenting players with a complex web of environments that make wonderful use of verticality, interlocking and looping in on one another in fascinating ways.

[...]

Score: 4/5

More information.

Looks great. I'll wait though, I'm not starting a new game before Dark Souls 3 arrives.

Had a blast watching this get played on twitch so looking forward to try it out on PC for myself.

I'm having fun with it on the PS4, it's pretty shameless about taking things from DS, but it does add it's own mechanics as well which is nice. The 2d format is probably not as good for that type of game, but it still works well enough especially as a change of pace.

One complaint I do have is the complete lack of documentation for almost anything. I guess you could argue that they are being true to their source material, but they are even worse then DS in that regard. You will need to read the wiki.

Back
Top Bottom