Grimoire Forever

I am still reeling that a guy got to ride the turtle in the old DOS demo. I didn't even know the turtle was in that version. I have trouble remembering if there is a turtle in this version. I don't think I can remember what the current version is, actually.

Was it the DOS transition to Windows version where the turtle first got introduced or was the Turtle introduced during the failed port to Turtle Logo on the Atari 2600? Was there ever really a turtle in the game at all or was the turtle just a symbolic idea to represent the idea of riding on a turtle described by a short text narrative? The Turtle is everywhere and nowhere. Then there's the boat, the sundial and the seahorse. Don't even get me started on those.

I think it may be possible I may have been working on this game for too long.

Deep underground in a massive fortified complex be
Gotta love turtles is all I got to say about that :) Still good to hear from you although it does sound like the game is starting to play you instead of the other way around ;) Those darn seahorses always ruin it.

I am still reeling that a guy got to ride the turtle in the old DOS demo. I didn't even know the turtle was in that version. I have trouble remembering if there is a turtle in this version. I don't think I can remember what the current version is, actually.

I can help you about it since the version number is diplayed at startup : it's 2.06 :) and by the way, I'm now in St George's crypt in front of a locked gate. Sir Coffergus sends me to Gorlo and Gorlo sends me back to Coffergus, but both don't want to give me the key...

In my opinion, the game is really enjoyable as it and I will definitly have a look on the final version.

Ah, that was one of the tricky, though originally bugged areas. There was a way around it I found in the first version I played, but it was fixed for the beta I believe.

Corwin, the version I have is almost 10 years old (98) so maybe the area has the bug. Do you remember what the workaround was ?

Sorry, no. Perhaps I stole the key from Gorlo!!

Also, I'd be careful of what you call "social RPGs" Alrik. "Social" on NWN servers has become a euphemism for cyb0r servers.

I didn't relate to online gaming; I rather had in mind "socializing" between NPCs.
Grotesque seems to hint at that.

The main thrust of NPC scripting is to put in the proper logic that gets you critical items from NPCs, like the key from Gorlo, so you don't have to steal them or otherwise just take them from NPC. (Many people in last beta end up recruiting NPC just to get some important item, which shouldn't be necessary in next version with scripts finished)

Spoiler For RPGWatch Forum Only : Black Pierre will eventually give you his Kraken control navigation helm if you just keep asking him "Are we there yet?" It drives him crazy, but you have to beat him at the Crazy Stitch Crochet Contest first. :)

I don't remember that contest Cleve, is it a new addition? :)

I think you could get Black Pierre to come out of the cabin by putting the soda ash into the vinegar barrel below decks in the last beta ... ?

The logic is now present for him to do all the things he was supposed to do according to the game design manual written in 1996 ... :D ... including a choice of three contests to determine if you can join his crew ... if you join his crew you can start asking him "Are we there yet?" every time you see him. This finally agitates him so much he has a seizure and drops the helmet. :D

The contest was in the original game manual but it was actually my son that came up with this way to get the helm. I asked him if he wanted to help me think of something that did not involve a quest, a fight or a puzzle.

I don't think he did anything in the last beta after you got the doors open. Sounds like a good solution; the Kraken always gave me HEAPS of trouble!!

After this much heralded release , will we get Wake Of The Comet as an encore ?

Hey Cleve, just discovered that Grimoire won't load on my XP 64 bit OS. Will this be addressed with the new version? Did anyone say Vista compatible!! :)

I think you could get Black Pierre to come out of the cabin by putting the soda ash into the vinegar barrel below decks in the last beta ... ?

Black Pierre? As in Pierre Noir aka Black Peter aka Zwarte Piet? Santa's Moorish elf who puts coal in the stockings of naughty children, stuffs them in bags, and beats them with his cane?

I might even like Christmas if we still followed the European tradition... ;)

Sounds like a good system to me, but unfortunately, this was BP the Pirate!! :)

Not LeChuck ?

Black Pierre? As in Pierre Noir aka Black Peter aka Zwarte Piet? Santa's Moorish elf who puts coal in the stockings of naughty children, stuffs them in bags, and beats them with his cane?

That's where I got the name from. A completely irredeemably evil scalawag who takes pleasure in his "lifestyle."

Monique MacNaughton did a great pirate looking character which I then ended up using for all sailors/mariners. I have rendered a pretty good mutineerish type for the general sailor figure and will keep the scurvy looking pirate for Black Pierre and perhaps any "Corsair" encounters. My renders started looking a lot more cartoony due to a really good procedural shader I found for Poser.

Back
Top Bottom