Call of Cthulhu - Developer Interview

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The developers of Call of Cthulhu were interviewed by Gamingbolt.

Can you tell us a little bit more about how the game’s Sanity System works?

We have a gauge [meter] so you know how much sanity you’re losing. Every encounter, every piece of dark knowledge, you will [either] understand, or read [or not], will make you lose a given amount of sanity. That’s scripted in the game. The small part of sanity you can keep in the end, are based on your choices. But it will only be a small part.

You’ve confirmed in the past that Call of Cluthulu will mostly be a game that focuses on stealth instead of combat. Can you tell us about how that will be structured? What kinds of situations will demand stealth, and what kind will demand combat?

It’s mostly about surviving/repelling and escaping. You will have to get behind things, hide, and go slowly. It’s a game about trying to uncover the truth, Furthermore, it’s all about uncovering strange things for your character.

What drove the studio to work on these licenses?

First of all we were huge fan of the license. We’ve been playing the pen and paper RPG since we were teenagers. And then Focus came to us and asked us to work on the license. It was the perfect match.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I'm unsure about the sanity system... Will it be possible to make bad choices that say 10 hours on force you to restart? I hate losing all my progress...

Daniel.

If I remember correctly, becoming insane in the pen and paper game did not equal death. Your character could be placed in an insane asylum and recover with time. Also insanity gave you in most case a significant disadvantage rather than making it impossible to continue.

Last edited:
Becoming fully insane means gameover, but losing sanity isn't necessarily a bad thing. It can help with your investigation in alternative ways.

Sneaking around the old elders doesn't sound pretty likely, sneaking around other humans is more feasible. Either way I'll be trying it, and if I lose my sanity along the way, so be it!!!!

For readers not familiar with our foreign speaking neighbours, I've taken the liberty to translate this.
Can you tell us a little bit more about how the game’s Sanity System works?

C' mgep gauge [meter] l' ymg' kadishtu ahh much sanity you’re losing. Nilgh'ri encounter, nilgh'ri nilgh'rinah ot n'ghft kadishtuor, ymg' ephai[either] kadishtu, ngnah read [or not], ymg' ephaiuaaah lose given amount ot sanity. That’s scripted ph'nglui game. The ahnah nilgh'rinah ot sanity ymg' ahor ph'nglui ah'ehye zhro, ah based llll ymg' choices. Non euclidian, Mgng h' ephaiuh'eor ah ahnah nilgh'rinah

You’ve confirmed in the past that Call of Cluthulu will mostly be a game that focuses on stealth instead of combat. Can you tell us about how that will be structured? What kinds of situations will demand stealth, and what kind will demand combat?

Yah! Yah! It’s mostly yog surviving/repelling ng escaping. Ymg' ephaimgep l' get mgep hnahh, ah'n'ghft, ng bug ahhainah. It’s game yog l' ah'gotha uncover mgleth, furthermore, I will eat your soul, it’s nilgh'ri yog uncovering or'azath hnahh llll ymg' character

What drove the studio to work on these licenses?

Ehyeog ot nilgh'ri c' mgepah huge fan ot license. We’ve mgepah playing pen ng paper rpg Iiahe c' mgepah teenagers. Ng ng focus l' mgepnog c' ng c' mgepah'kn'a l' work llll license. H' mgepah perfect match even death may die.

[…]

My R'lyeh is a little rusty but hopefully I conveyed accurately to what they are properly saying.

Nice.

Back
Top Bottom