Getting grumpy and ‘mean’

Adopt some already, then you'll learn what's an actual survival "game". :evilgrin:

My son was a bit odd in his toddler days, when he was grumpy we'd go outside, throw a huge blanket on the lawn and star-gaze. Only once did this fail to put him to sleep, and that thunderstorm comes up often in discussions of his youth =p

I may have mentioned that I'm not particularly fond of seagulls, or to be more specific, seagulls that don't stay at sea, but in stead choose to invade parking spaces with their kids.

Today I was brutally attacked when walking from the train to the car, parked at the railway station. This one did not bomb me with poo, but it came close enough for beak+1 melee attacks. And the screaming, oh, the screaming!!!!

Fortunately, I had the wit to move a bit randomly in the direction of the car, which (also fortunately) was close by, so I didn't get seriously hurt.

This is what it, or one of its relatives, did to the car:

picture.php

pibbur whose racial enemy is the spider (any type of spider, from the smallest one to Shelob), but who considers adding the seagull to the list.

Mirror mirror on the wall…

My best friend visited a few days back and we talked for a while. About everything, that's the beauty of his company. Of course we were also "mean" to each other, but that's what we always do, we kinda compete who'll be "meaner".

At one moment, out of nowhere, we both agreed we became old and grumpy. And this thread came into my mind instantly.
Maybe we need some (more) pot.

I may have mentioned that I'm not particularly fond of seagulls, or to be more specific, seagulls that don't stay at sea, but in stead choose to invade parking spaces with their kids.
Nothing a little music can't help!

That's what you get for driving a Toyota. ;)
At least a Toyota is better than … som other cars.

pibbur who is actually quite happy with it.

PS: We inherited the car from my father after he died 8 years ago (The car is now 15 years old). It had run only 35000 km when we got it, the kind of car you see advertised for sale as having only been used for driving to church by a nice old woman. Except that he wasn't a woman. And didn't go to church. Now it's got another 60000 km. Haven't had any problems with it, so it will probably stay with us for a couple of years more. DS.

Last edited:
"Darth Tagen"

LOL

1. There's a fly in my den! It wants to sit on me!! But not long enough!!!
  2. I can't find the restore code for my battle.net authenticator (no, I'm not going to play WOW or diablo 3).
  3. I can't find … other things.
pibbur who has added flies to his list of racial enemies.

EDIT: Said fly has joined the choir invisible.

Last edited:
Interesting question. ....er, How old did you say you were??!! :)

I've been asking myself that question for years.

Now that I've stopped asking myself, I suppose it's been determined sometime around 55. ;)

This is what it, or one of its relatives, did to the car:

This is nothing.

It is an very unfotuinate feeling of "suddenly hot" when a piece of bird shit suddenly hits you on your naked arm while bicycling ...

I hate the English. Or rather, the English language. Or, to be more specific, the English keyboard which now and then forces itself on me, usually when it's most inconvenient, so characters are no longer where they#re supposed to be.

For instance> Instead of \ I get \. And instead of ^, keyboard insists on ^. And the special Norwegian letters ',;,[, (uppercase @,:,{) are all gone.

Even swearing doesn#t work as supposed. £"€^%~!

pibbur who realizes he could delete said keyboard from his windows installation, but who consider that to be beside the point. Whatever that is.

PS. I do support the british programming uproar against the us. System.Drawing.Colour colour; DS.

PPS. Belgian/French keyboard layout is worse. They don't use QWERTY, so AWSD would be very cumbersome to use in games. Fortunately I've never seen that keyboard on my equipiment, but I have been to Belgium. I assume that, for some reason, the Belgian and the French are comfortable with it, but I wonder why it's like that. DS.

PPPS. There is actually a thorough article about keyboard layouts on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout. DS.

Last edited:
tl;dr; Me getting grumpy about not particularly significant issues.

Youtube. I hate it. Well, actually not - when it comes to things that must be presented as videos, like films/music videos and such.

But for things that might just as well be presented as regular webpages? Ouch!!!!

Currently I'm working on signal processing/signal analysis - as always, for fun. I've figured out how to play Wav files in c#, and showing the signal in a windows form. What I want to find out is how to play for instance a sinus curve. I can of course sample it and create a wav file, but I want to find out if I can play it directly. So I googled for "c# play sound", and here's what I found:

1. How to Play Sound in C# Windows Forms (One line Code) - YouTube 2:24
  2. C# Sound Tutorial - Play sound with 3 Lines of Code! - YouTube 1:21
  3. C# Tutorial - How to Play an Audio File C#.NET Winforms | FoxLearn 5:04
  4. C# Beginners Tutorial - 85 - Playing Sounds - YouTube 4:33

Admittedly there were also links to regular web-sites like Codeproject, and I didn't "consult" the videos. But what's the point? If I want to find out how to program things, I want to spend time looking at code examples, perhaps a bit cut and paste, perhaps downloading something. I DON'T WANT TO WATCH, PAUSE, REWIND AND REPLAY A VIDEO!!!!

Well. I admit some videos are quite good. However I've seen enough of "Let's see, how do I do this?", "Oh, I shouldn't have done that, "Let's go back and try this". Ouch!

One more thing: If I start watching a vido on Youtube, there's a chance that I will spend (waste) time watching other videos as well. Like bad Idol/some-country's-got-talent-but-you're-not-one-of-them wannabe videos. Ouch!

DISCLAIMER: I know that a lot of you enjoy creating videos, whether it's let's-plays, reviews and so on. And actually I have no problem with that. Nobody forces me to watch videos. There are also ordinary web-pages. So, those who prefer videos, can watch videos, and those that don't want that, don't have to. Which is good. But this is a thread about me and other oldies getting grumpy, so I demand the right to be a little bit arbitrary and a litle bit unreasonable. But, yes, I don't like unnecessary videos.

pibbur who also demands the right to not always be taken seriously.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am no fan of videos either when things can be written down just as well. Hate podcasts too.

I won't use the H word, but I most definitely prefer to read information, not receive it by video or audio. That extends to emails versus telephone, in which again I prefer the former. If I cannot read the information, I likely have no idea that it ever happened.

Back
Top Bottom