Risen - Review Flood #7

Anyways, from what little I played so far, it seemed like I could go anywhere I wanted. What makes it so linear, as you guys are claiming?

There are huge sections of the world that you are blocked from going to until you progress far enough along the main plot.

However, in the areas of the world you are free to roam, there is still some random exploring you can do.

Past Ultimas were a lot like G1, G2, G3, and now Risen. You could go pretty much go anywhere at any time. However, monsters in an area could kill you fast if you weren't up to par with their abilities.

For years I've been saying that if you just look at Ultima 9 without regard to any of the prior Ultimas, you could easily say that it was a good game. It did however take me years to get the game to run, but I had a blast with the game when I finally had the right machine and most of the bugs were gone. The nights in Ultima 9 were a precursor to Gothic imo. Dark and it felt like night, but relativly light, he world was not blacked out like so many developers felt they had to give the night back in the day.

The sections that are impossible to get to are similar to the orc village and temple of the sleeper in Gothic 1. I wouldn't call that a big deal.

Dark and it felt like night, but relativly light, he world was not blacked out like so many developers felt they had to give the night back in the day.

LOL. What?

The sections that are impossible to get to are similar to the orc village and temple of the sleeper in Gothic 1. I wouldn't call that a big deal.

That's not really an accurate description. In earlier Ultimas you had access to 95% of the world at the start of the game.

In Ultima IX, as you progress through the plot, the world gradually opens up to you.

This is a major design shift away from earlier Ultimas.

Back
Top Bottom