Did the corona crisis change how much you play?

Did the corona crisis change how much you play?

• I really play less

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • It is about the same

Votes: 50 51.5%
  • I definitely play more

Votes: 38 39.2%
  • I stopped playing

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Curious to know if the corona crisis has an impact on how much you play games. Are you playing more, less or about the same?

For me not much has changed.

No but then I didn't lose my job. I am working some overtime instead as we struggle to adapt at the University I work at.

On the other hand I find it has made me savor and enjoy my games more as there is so much uncertainty now that I feel like at any point in time the ax could drop and life as I know it could change to the point where I won't be able to game or enjoy much that I do now (walks with the dogs, my freedoms, or my life should I get really sick). Consequently I am trying to really appreciate every moment I have to enjoy all the little things in life I like - gaming being one of those.

Nope, except perhaps to make me really focus on Everquest two again, like I haven't in years. I much prefer a classic server before all the stats got inflated and it became a chore to play rather than fun, Kaladim is a good place to make friends and while away some time!!!

In my case it's not coronavirus that caused more games in this year than normally. I've had too many games installed (not all from backlog though) and wanted to complete then delete all before CP gets released, previously planned for april. So I can finally do the win10 clean install (still on win7 upgrade to 10).
And I did it as per plan.

But because CP was postponed, now I have some more time and spotted FC:ND Deluxe less than 20 bucks on GMG an hour back so I bought it and it's installing.
Clean install will wait for a while.

Something else to add, I watched less "tv" shows than usual. Didn't start a single anime from spring season. Movies though... I guess that remained the same.
I don't think it's coronarelated, but the year didn't start with offers interesting enough for me.

Finally, since restrictions came in some people I haven't seen in RL. A friend of mine didn't exit his house for a month already. He's scared to death.
Bars are closed all this time so I buy an ice coffee and sit by the river at least once daily. Met some new people, got into chatty with others never talked before with. No handshakes, no hugging and not sitting close to each other, can't get used to it, still feels odd.
I still ignore people who pass by walking their dog. When I can. The other day a girl (if you can call a 40 years old woman that) made a coffee, brought her beast and poor dog was whining while we drank that coffee. But then again we know each other since she got born.
I hate nescafe, jacobs and similar crap. But my neighbor who lost his job is alone at home so I go drink that shit at his place or he comes to mine. Oh and he plays rubbish on playstation, has no PC just so you know. We were never close before, but... One has to socialize.
I also saw people who were at home 24/7 for years. I have no idea why some who were always out disappeared from streets, and those who were hiding now can't stay home.
I'm not wearing a mask nor gloves while being out. So far we have only one case on the infection in the area who got it at work in another town and she is quarantined. Not important probably, but she's doing well, no complications so far.

I'm saying it's still not a ghosttown here and not everyone is scared, but people are careful when it comes to being in a group and are keeping the distance. Lucky me I guess.
Can't wait till all these restrictions pass, I need my proper lollygagging fix.

I don't work so being on this lockdown isn't too much of a culture shock for me. I'm reading/watching/listening more news than I usually do and have to consciously tear myself away. My gaming PC decided to die earlier this week, new PC arrives tomorrow hopefully. Can't even begin to describe the boredom especially in the evening. I tried my dusty Playstation but I'm really clumsy with a controller.

I'm still working too but...I'm working remotely every 3rd week ergo I end up gaming more during those weeks due to not needing to drive in and can put work up on 2nd monitor.

I mostly keep tabs on my employees via teams, use Outlook to monitor work tickets and use Webex to schedule/attend meetings. I use Citrix versions of popular apps like SAP and then login remotely to my work pc if something strange comes up where I actually need to be on the company network.

A little more gaming in my case, because I work at home now and don't need to drive 2x45 minutes a day.

I had started to ramp up a bit and am sustaining that. But as I work in a Pharma / life sciences division deemed essential (even though I am in R&D) I have only had a single full 'work from home' day this entire time ... so not as much opportunity.

Well there is no walking to the office at the moment, so it has definitely freed some time and I get to have a proper breakfast. :) That being said the work load itself hasn't really shrunk one bit. Only difference is that I actually get to do more stuff due to not having to sit in those boring meetings so much! I wish when this Corona crisis is over, we would actually keep doing these meetings in teams or skype because they seem to be much more efficient and fast than live meetings. Yeah sure we could do a live team meeting maybe twice a year just for fun, but really teams meetings are so much shorter! I do miss coffee breaks and lunches though.

But to answer the question… since there isn't much one can do outside home aside walking / jogging which I try to do few times in a week, I happen to play more games nowdays.

Less gaming for me. Been a busy few weeks, and I when I can I'm working on my own project. Very little actual gaming going on. I made a start on Half Life Alyx, which seems awesome but gave me the willies. Also the VR motion wasn't agreeing with me, and I probably need to spend some time in other VR games to get my "VR legs" back again.

Well there is no walking to the office at the moment, so it has definitely freed some time and I get to have a proper breakfast. :) That being said the work load itself hasn't really shrunk one bit. Only difference is that I actually get to do more stuff due to not having to sit in those boring meetings so much! I wish when this Corona crisis is over, we would actually keep doing these meetings in teams or skype because they seem to be much more efficient and fast than live meetings. Yeah sure we could do a live team meeting maybe twice a year just for fun, but really teams meetings are so much shorter! I do miss coffee breaks and lunches though.

But to answer the question… since there isn't much one can do outside home aside walking / jogging which I try to do few times in a week, I happen to play more games nowdays.

Opposite here. I am not getting much done as each day is so packed with ZOOM and TEAM meetings. Instead of quick and easy chats with co-workers now everything has to be on Zoom or team.

I find it harder to carry out a large meeting over zoom when there needs to be a lot of back and forth and discussion although they are fine for presentation style meetings.

In general my meetings have tripled since everyone started working remotely and its very hard to find time to do any actual work.

All depends on the nature of the job I suppose.

Hasn't changed at all for me,due to the fact that I work in the food industry,so my schedule is the same during this so called crisis and before....

I play about the same, if anything a bit less. Working from home is just convenient, but my partner also spends all day at home and I get to cook more often and share more couple time.

Honestly, related to the post above, the thing the corona "crisis" (aka how most countries have shit healthcare systems and are getting overwhelmed by the introduction of a new disease they didn't account for and that on its own isn't that bad) has changed is how many places I can order food from, as some have been closed for a few weeks now.

I guess my gaming time is slightly higher because my 10 minute commute is now just a couple minutes pushing my chair from my computer room to the dining room table.

Probably more, since I'm working less than I usually would be (about half) and I'm not really doing anything else to take its place that I don't ordinarily do.

I'm still working and playing less actually, but that is more correlated to the good weather (biking, farming) than corona.

Working on finishing Divinity Original Sin 2 with my wife. Started playing Mass Effect Andromeda and considering all the hate it got upon release, I’m finding it generally really good.

Rather than flitting between games I have found focusing on one or two to be better. This is what I used to do and I find I enjoy the games better.

I'm a coder and already work at home a lot so other than be told NOT to go to the office (have to fill out forms from HR to do so) not much has changed for lucky me. At least half of our company got laid off early on when Covid hit (company does vacation/cruise stuff so we've been hammered).

Before Covid I would joke that I no longer measure my time with the company in years but in "layoffs survived" but that's not so funny after Covid caused the company to have to ditch a lot of good people.

Back
Top Bottom