The Ascent - Story and Gameplay Details

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Game-Insider report what they have learned about The Ascent's story and gameplay.

Developer Neon Giant's upcoming Xbox Series X game, The Ascent, is set on the planet of Veles in The Ascent Group arcology, a corporate fief in which workers are brought from across the galaxy to live and die for the Ascent Group corporation. This happy state of affairs suddenly goes south when the corporation itself mysteriously shuts down, leaving the workers without direction, security enforcers without paychecks, automated security going haywire and nearby rival corporations and criminal syndicates sharpening their knives for a hostile takeover in the most literal sense.

You, the player, are somehow caught up in these events and are thus tasked with figuring out what exactly happened to the corporation, fending off invaders both corporate and criminal, and maybe, just maybe, somewhere along the way helping the arcology itself become a new and independent polity free of outside corporate influence.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

So there calling this a Diablo-like RPG?

Not bad I'll keep an eye on it, but not liking the top down combat.

So there calling this a Diablo-like RPG?

Not bad I'll keep an eye on it, but not liking the top down combat.

This isn't "top down" it's isometric, and is pretty much the standard for the vast majority of ARPG's, including:

Diablo 1, 2, 3
Grim Dawn
Titan Quest
Torchlight
POE
Adventurea of Van Helsing 1, 2, 3

and many others.

Might be but look at how the player character shoots in part of the video.

Hint = Red Line towards target

Top down style combat in any type of RPG is a turn off for me.

Reminds ME of Seven: The Days Long Gone and I hated that ARPG.:(

Edit: I'm probably imagining things but hey who cares. I'm freaking tired right now.

Last edited:
Well, in fairness it's not isometric, either. I'm not sure there's really a popular correct term for this sort of perspective. "High camera angle" is essentially what it is.

Well, in fairness it's not isometric, either. I'm not sure there's really a popular correct term for this sort of perspective. "High camera angle" is essentially what it is.
Yep which gave me top down vibes because of the combat ability's.

Sorta like that failed Duke Nukem spin-off Bombshell.

Back
Top Bottom