Dark Souls - The King and I

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Megagames.com reports on a AI opponent for Dark Souls known as the King.

With Dark Souls III set to arrive soon, it's not surprising that there are only really a few hundred dedicated Dark Souls players still slaying their way through bosses and dominating enemy humans who's worlds they invade with glee. There was is one person who's world they don't want to invade, or be invaded by though and that's The King.

Why though? Surely he's no tougher than any other veteran of the game? Well no, not exactly.

Although he is tough and stands a good chance of killing you, he's different in that The King is an AI. Developed over the course of 10 months by fan of the game, "metal-crow," The King is reverse engineered to be almost unbeatable, or at least worthy of providing a very solid challenge for anyone who considers themselves highly experienced at the game.

More information.

Only had a quick look at the vid, but sounds a bit annoying. I'm a bit crap at Dark Souls - beat it twice, but it took a loooong time with loads of deaths en route :) - but I'm sure I got invaded by IAs or folk using trainers from time to time. One guy I had in a corner and I was getting clear hits on him with a good katana but his health just wasn't dropping at all. Very annoying. This kind of MP works best when people do it honestly - some of the duels against real players were pretty awesome. I even won one or two. :) But AIs....? Nah not for me.

Wow I do a bit of coding for university and suck at it.. AI is tough!! That is a ton of conditional statements and scenarios to consider.

As others have said, awesome coding but I will pass on the PVP in actual gameplay lol.

That is a ton of conditional statements and scenarios to consider..

Yeah, I had a little think about how it works. Probably not as clever it first seems.

He always drops his summon sign in the same place where he'll spawn facing the enemy so to start it moves forward and spams target lock [LS] until it finds something then it just walks forward and spams R1 with a % chance of an alternate procedure like a combustion spell.

I don't think it actually "sees" any targets it just knows if you're locked on the enemy is in front of you x metres.

I remember seeing a video of some guys 3 year old winning Dark Souls PvP matches just spamming R2 with a 2H Halberd weapon. It's really not a hard game it's just intimidating. Even being invaded by a 3 year old you're still going to be afraid because of the unknown!

Back
Top Bottom