Pillars of Eternity - Comes to Consoles

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Pillars of Eternity will become available for PS4 and Xbox One as a Complete Edition on August 29, 2017.

Paradox Interactive Bringing Pillars of Eternity and Cities: Skylines to PS4 and Xbox One

Best-Selling, Award-Winning Games Launching on Consoles This August

STOCKHOLM - June 21, 2017 - Paradox Interactive, a publisher of best-selling games across many genres and platforms, today announced that Pillars of Eternity, the critically acclaimed role-playing game (RPG) from Obsidian Entertainment, and Cities: Skylines, the smash-hit city-building game from Colossal Order, will both be released for new console platforms later this year. Both award-winning titles have been redesigned for console players with controller-friendly gameplay and UI, and will be available in August for their respective platforms.

Pillars of Eternity, originally the result of a crowdfunding campaign by over 75,000 backers, first released for PC platforms to broad critical acclaim, winning several awards for its rich story and deep, original world. Now, the original game, alongside the expansions The White March - Parts I & II, will be released as Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition for the PlayStation®4 and Xbox One consoles on August 29, 2017.

Rediscover the world of Eora in the debut trailer for Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition:

Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition features:

• Award-winning writing, story and artwork of Pillars of Eternity, along with the expanded world and content of The White March: Parts I & II
  • Countless character creation options, from races and classes to character backgrounds which drive your personal story
  • An epic universe to explore, filled with intriguing party members and companions, a variety of in-game factions, and a lovingly rendered world to traverse
  • New UI and controls designed from the ground up, presenting the Pillars of Eternity experience like never before

Thanks Pinx!

More information.

man-with-money-clip-art-1194711.jpg

They didn't show us how that will play with controllers. I want to see that mess.

Ah.. the joys of playing an isometric party-based game with a gamepad. :)

After finishing PS:T:EE at 83 hours with a controller, I'd highly recommend it. :)

They didn't show us how that will play with controllers. I want to see that mess.

Probably will look something like this.

Video:
Notice when in dialogue with the Modron Construct, I have the face buttons on the controller set to the numbers on the keyboard so I can quickly select a dialogue option. IIRC, I had #s 1-8 mapped, but it would be possible to do 9-12 as well, but I didn't bother because the majority of conversations don't have that many options. Just one of the many little tricks you can do with a gamepad. :)

Is there something wrong with that? You wouldn't give shit to a local restaurant owner for opening a new one in a neighboring town, would you?

Back as a kid/growing up with consoles, I'd have killed for something like this on console. So I can appreciate it for that reason alone.

Someone actually requested a tutorial for my Planescape: Torment - EE controller configuration, so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Ti_PzMKLQ

It quickly shows how the game works with a controller, the basic functions and what to expect. Also should give some people some ideas on making their own, as this specific profile is a basic one and could be even better.

No clue if that's what Pillars of Eternity on console will function like, and I'm not sure having a right analog stick on a console controller would be very good for the mouse in comparison to the trackpad on the Steam Controller, but eh, who knows.

Last edited:
After finishing PS:T:EE at 83 hours with a controller, I'd highly recommend it. :)

Probably will look something like this.

Video:
Notice when in dialogue with the Modron Construct, I have the face buttons on the controller set to the numbers on the keyboard so I can quickly select a dialogue option. IIRC, I had #s 1-8 mapped, but it would be possible to do 9-12 as well, but I didn't bother because the majority of conversations don't have that many options. Just one of the many little tricks you can do with a gamepad. :)
Didn't you use a Steam Controller?
It is not the kind of gamepad I was talking about.

A decent but heavily flawed game for more people is cool.

That said, I hope they've worked on optimisation a bit - because when there are many characters on screen (like Defiance Bay) - the game bogs down even on powerful hardware.

I imagine it might struggle on inferior hardware like PS4 or Xbox One.

Didn't you use a Steam Controller?
It is not the kind of gamepad I was talking about.

ISOs work great with controllers and are in some ways superior to the mouse (if done right), for instance D3.

I imagine it might struggle on inferior hardware like PS4 or Xbox One.

I would hope not! I'm running it on integrated Intel graphics! I haven't tried the more demanding areas yet though.

My point of interest is the sensitivity/nuance of the right analog stick of a typical Xbox/PS4 controller. Since PoE is more chaotic than Numenera, there will likely be a lot more right stick mouse movement involved. I imagine the characters will each have quick selection buttons like my profile, so you can select them with a face button press, and then direct them with the right stick mouse. The difference being that I'm not sure the right stick mouse is as nuanced or accurate as a trackpad mouse, so that should be interesting. Maybe they'll add a left trigger mouse dampening modifier, but I highly doubt that.

I know when I tried an Xbox 360 controller recenlty, I couldn't believe how terrible and inaccurate the sticks were. I guess they are better in Xbox One/PS4 controllers.

I would hope not! I'm running it on integrated Intel graphics! I haven't tried the more demanding areas yet though.

Keep in mind that I'm pretty demanding in terms of performance. It's fully playable in Defiance Bay on my rig - there's just a significant and visible performance hit.

Given that my rig is probably ten times more powerful than a PS4 - and the fact that Obsidian can't optimize to save their lives - I suspect it won't be an entirely smooth port.

Keep in mind that I'm pretty demanding in terms of performance. It's fully playable in Defiance Bay on my rig - there's just a significant and visible performance hit.

Given that my rig is probably ten times more powerful than a PS4 - and the fact that Obsidian can't optimize to save their lives - I suspect it won't be an entirely smooth port.

But the consoles run @ 2160p60! :p

Scratch that, the newer ones will.

Especially at this point in time. The PC version is all done, has two expansions and is fully patched.
It would be less amusing if one had to suspect that KS funds were used to fund console development or that the game might have been delayed because of a console release (as with TToN).
But there is simply no need to be suspicious or cynical in this case. Pillars is all wrapped up for PC. If they want to score some additional sales on consoles, well, fine... let's hope they'll use the additional income wisely on Deadfire improvements :) .

Plays fine on my uber rig too, I just mean when i'm on the road, it works fine at reduced settings on a laptop as well, so i'm assuming there shouldn't be an issue (as you said, if they optimize it properly).

It's a business :) There is nothing wrong with putting the game out on another platform to make more money from it.

They should just never release the game! Then they won't be seen as greedy!

The porting was apparently done by Paradox Artic. I'm not sure if Obsidian will get much money from this outside royalties.

Back
Top Bottom