GTA IV - Impressions & Reviews

I don't, of course, but it does look impressive.

I hope it comes out for PC soon, i dont have a console. :)

Looks like they made changes to most of the gripes people had about the previous engine/games. Even though that review doesn't say much about the nitty-gritty Liberty City looks very nice with the new seamless interpretation. I'll be surprised if it isn't the top rated game this year.

I wanted to see what all the hype was about a few months ago so I bought GTA San Andreas. All I got to say about that game is I don't get what is all the fuss about. Woopee I get to kill padestrians (normally on accident because I'm all over the road when driving), start fights for no reason, get thrown in jail or taken to the hospital or try to shoot someone which normally ends up with me shooting all over the place because I'm staring at the ground when I move the mouse too fast. I just don't get why everyone and their dog loves this game. Maybe I'm just too old to appreciate the violence for violence sake fun factor.

The fun is not about killing people randomly or being a bad guy. There are many aspects in the game that MOST gamers would enjoy as described in the ign're review. And of course, the overall high production quality of GTA series doesn't hurt either, e.g music from in game radio stations and hilarious tongue-in-cheek ads or announcements, etc.

I love it. There are several different aspects of play, which gives you flexibility to suit your mood.

The stories are actually quite well put together, for starters, and then you've got the free play - just driving around, exploring, getting into mayhem. Then the "tricks" - jumps, collecting things...

Great series, despite some annoyances.

Woah, all major reviewers so far gave the game full mark. I don't remember there were other games gotten that kind of receptions before.

Eurogamer gave it a 10/10 too.

This is the first time *ever* I've seriously felt a twinge of "dang, I wish I had a console."

As to what's the big deal about San Andreas -- it's the environment. These are sandbox exploration games par excellence -- you get a feeling of perfect freedom to move in environments that are just about the best recreations of urban landscapes in games ever, complete with shops, bars, restaurants, services, the works. I thought the missions in San Andreas were a bit blah, but I spent hours just riding a stolen Harley around at night, listening to the Country & Western channel. (Handy Harley, that it comes with a radio.) Or the other ones -- the music is great and the radio banter pitch-perfect.

IOW, GTA has all the good things of Oblivion, but it does them with style, verve, wit, and imagination. If GTA IV really is half as good as these reviews make it out to be, woo-wee.

Hmm, I never really cared for the GTA games, but now I'm tempted to get it for Xbox 360, anyway. I did love exploring the city and the radio stations, etc.

I don't have much free time anyway so i will wait for PC version. I'm sure the pc version will have higher resolution, bug fixes and some extras.

Totally agree with PJ, I always thought that Oblivion seemed more like GTA's design than TES's previous outings. Dave Jones MMO APB has the same name as what I've always thought was the game that inspired GTA. With more emphasis on sandbox and being a criminal. I used to like that old arcade game as well.

I was waiting for the GameSpot review. They also gave it a 10.

I know people go on about inflated review scores and all, but 10 doesn't mean perfect, obviously. Still, this is quite insane. I feel that if they all go all out with their reviews and scores, there must at least be something there that's of really good quality.

The rest is purely subjective to the taste and tolerance of the player.

Well, for all of you awaiting this game or are even just considering buying it, I sincerely hope it'll turn out to be as great as the current reviews seem to indicate. Personally, I've never liked the whole mafia, gangster, gang theme, so I'll give this one a miss like I did the other GTA games as well as Mafia (I actually bought Mafia a few years back but I've never been able to convince myself to play it more than a few minutes before I grew tired of the whole mafia macho crap).

Last edited:
Heh, Eurogamer have photos up of my local GAME store's midnight launch.

Biggest weakpoint of previous GTA were the ridiculous & stupid missions. The main character in the story was an insane crazy psycopath at best. Old pc game Mafia puts GTA into shame easily.

GTA san andreas from mobygames:

Let's move on to the more serious flaws. I must mention the game's protagonist, CJ. The designers really screwed this character. In the beginning, he seemed so much more than the stupid thugs from the previous GTA games. But they had to turn him into a total mess, into a character without mutually contradicting values and more than vague personality.

Could you describe CJ? What kind of a person is he? Is he kind? Is he cruel? What's the most important thing for him? What does he like, what does he dislike? Let's say I'd try to conclude the answer from what CJ does in the game. Very well. During one of the missions, CJ rescues a girl from a house he himself set on fire. He doesn't think twice. This is an obligatory action: you have to enter the burning house and save a totally unknown girl.

From this I conclude that CJ is a really good, compassionate, brave person. And then in another mission he has to drown two people, one of which is a girl. So he just saves, for no reason, a totally unknown girl, and within a very short time period, kills another unknown girl? Does it make any sense at all?

And this is just one drastic example; there are plenty more of those inconsistencies in the character. And no, nothing happens that would change the hero's values. The order in which you undertake the two aforementioned missions is not set. Both are obligatory, but you can do them in any order you like. You can first drown one girl, then rescue the other one. Or the other way around.

This reveals the attitude the developers have to their games. They don't take them seriously. That would be okay with GTA III, because it wasn't serious to begin with. But in "San Andreas", they managed to lure me in. It was supposed to be a serious, dark revenge story, but they carelessly turned it into a disjointed plot with a randomly acting protagonist.

But my biggest problem with "San Andreas", something that nearly made me quit playing the game, were some disgusting, revolting missions the designers felt obliged to include in the game. Usually, the missions of this game involve killing other bad guys. Most of the time they attack you the moment they see you. Unfortunately, the developers probably felt that all this stuff was too "good, and therefore boring", and decided to add some more "cool evil" stuff - obligatory, like everything else in the game.

There is a mission in which you must kill two unarmed people. One of them is a manager who must be killed only because he dislikes the songs written by your twisted friend, the one who gives you the mission. The other is his girlfriend. You have to kill them by driving them into the water, allowing them to drown. Okay, the manager was obviously a bastard, but what about the girl?

Then there is another mission in which you have to kill a valet in order to get his uniform. You have to kill him. The game forces you to. You can't intimidate him. You can't beat him up. You can't knock him unconscious. When I knocked him down, hoping the game will be satisfied with that. But it was satisfied only when the valet's blood started gushing out of his body. And the valet didn't even resist. He didn't even hit me back once. He was a completely innocent person the game forced me to kill.

But there's more. In another mission you must bury a worker alive in cement just because he whistled at your sister. Okay, so he was the foreman of the workers who tried to kill me after I destroyed their constructions, but why did the game make me kill him in such a fashion?

I have no problem that this game allows you to kill innocents. That would be your choice, and your choice only. I actually love this kind of freedom, I like it that you can always choose whether to be good or evil. But here, they made me do evil things for no reason at all. That's where I draw the line. And I'm very, very surprised that nobody else seems to have been bothered by this design philosophy.

Last edited:
Looks pretty nice graphically

1209001264845.gif

Back
Top Bottom