|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - Allege Stolen Code

Default Bethesda Softworks - Allege Stolen Code

June 24th, 2018, 10:45
@TMZ Bethesda Softworks have alleged that Warner Brothers have stolen code for use in the Westworld game.

Warner Bros. got in bed with a tech company that jacked codes in order to fast-track and produce its "Westworld" mobile app … so claims another company in a new lawsuit.

The gaming company, Bethesda Softworks, is suing the media giant and Behaviour Interactive and, in the suit, says Behaviour stole its designs, artwork and codes … and used them in the "Westworld" game.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

June 24th, 2018, 12:42
As my posts tend to be ignored, please someone, type how Bethesda knew the code is stolen. What in Warner's phonegame gave it away.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

June 24th, 2018, 12:56
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
As my posts tend to be ignored, please someone, type how Bethesda knew the code is stolen. What in Warner's phonegame gave it away.
The bugs?

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

June 24th, 2018, 13:12
Exactly. I'm not kidding.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

June 24th, 2018, 16:15
Those would make excellent ownership markers! All this time, those bugs were actually a clever legal strategy…
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

June 24th, 2018, 16:35
Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
The bugs?
Haha, good one.

fragonard

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 24th, 2018, 16:53
Matching bugs should make a much stronger legal case, I would thing. The look and feel may end up similar through coincidence, but having the bugs match is pretty damning. My guess is that WB will dump Behavior Interactive like a hot potato and settle the case.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

June 24th, 2018, 16:57
Well if they file a lawsuit claiming copyright infringement as part of the process they will get to examine the code….

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
+1:

June 24th, 2018, 17:11
Well, if the bugs do match that's pretty damning evidence. In any case, I hope it turns out into some long drawn legal saga, it would be sad if it's the open and shut case it seems at the moment.

Polyester

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 24th, 2018, 18:15
Just watch, it will be based on something related to a custom mod made by a fan and uploaded to creation club, and once you upload it technically becomes Bethesda property.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

June 24th, 2018, 18:31
Who would nick crap programming from a reviled studio such as Bethesda? Have some class and at least steal from Hairbrained or Spiderweb studios, you'd be nicking useful stuff that actually functions.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

June 24th, 2018, 18:47
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Who would nick crap programming from a reviled studio such as Bethesda? Have some class and at least steal from Hairbrained or Spiderweb studios, you'd be nicking useful stuff that actually functions.
The issue here isn't just that it is Bethesda, but Zenimax - who are notoriously litigious. If they are right (and I'm not saying one way or another they are or not) then the defendants are in a world of trouble.

Caidh

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 24th, 2018, 18:47
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Those would make excellent ownership markers! All this time, those bugs were actually a clever legal strategy…
Reminds me of that Titan Quest thing …
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

June 24th, 2018, 18:58
Ahhh ok, something else I didn't know about Zenimax. Thanks for sharing that, always good to learn something new.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 24th, 2018, 19:13
As I said on the forum thread the sued party created code for Fallout Shelter. Now taking a look at the Westworld clone it's pretty obvious of theft. WB should be ashamed.
--
"Praise be to the gaming gods and their holy avatar CD Projekt" - Couchpotato

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

June 24th, 2018, 19:22
They didn't "nick" anything. The same contractor (Behaviour) made Fallout Shelter for Bethesda and the Westworld game for Warner Bros…and also Assassin's Creed Rebellion for Ubisoft but Bethesda didn't bother suing over that Fallout Shelter clone for some reasons (maybe because it is still in open beta?).

Basically Bethesda is claiming that Behaviour default mobile game code can't be used anymore because its contractually belong to Bethesda. I saw someone on another forum say that the code pre-date Fallout Shelter so, that should be interesting.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

June 24th, 2018, 20:50
I work at a software company and we do this all the time. We re-use code from one project for another project -- its built into the contracts.

Part of the problem here is that Bethesda has lawyers on retainer -- they spend $ on legal fees regardless if they use legal services. Therefore, they use the lawyers like attack dogs, usually picking on little guys who they can drown in legal fees to reach a lucrative settlement. These activities offset the cost of legal services.

But this time, they are going after a big fat settlement against a big company -- Notice they are suing both WB and Behaviour Interactive.
Last edited by flabbyjack; June 24th, 2018 at 21:06.

flabbyjack

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to flabbyjack
+1:

June 24th, 2018, 20:59
Not sure how much. Given that fallout shelter is mostly a free game it would be interesting to see damages claim. Naturally if found guilty WB will have to drop the current game (thought they could rewrite it from scratch).

However, having said that judges are really stupid and in a lot of these cases they will find 10 lines of offending code and that is enough to doom the entire project.

Originally Posted by Caidh View Post
The issue here isn't just that it is Bethesda, but Zenimax - who are notoriously litigious. If they are right (and I'm not saying one way or another they are or not) then the defendants are in a world of trouble.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

June 24th, 2018, 21:27
Well I guess that makes a bit more sense, then again I've no idea what Fallout Shelter even is. Some expansion for Fallout Four?

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 24th, 2018, 21:31
Well I guess that makes a bit more sense, then again I've no idea what Fallout Shelter even is. Some expansion for Fallout Four?
It's a free mobile game that allows you to play as the vault overseer.

loading…

You can also download it off steam for free and play on the PC.

Link- https://store.steampowered.com/app/5…llout_Shelter/
--
"Praise be to the gaming gods and their holy avatar CD Projekt" - Couchpotato

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - Allege Stolen Code