Kingmaker - Preview @PC Gamer

My impressions as someone that has only seen previews

Combat - I wont like it because it's Pathfinder and RTwP
Story - I already know the story and it's not good
World - Golarion is a bland knockoff of the Forgotten Realms
Dialog - Not very good. Too many wall of text responses
Companions - Not that important to me, but some look interesting
Difficulty - I've heard that it's challenging, which is good
Kingdom management - Haven't heard much about it, but this interests me the most
Content - 120 hours is too much. I heard beta users say it gets repetitive eventually

Even tho I like playing my games on the hardest difficulty permadeath whatever mode… I hate encumbrance.. With a passion! Its one of the things I mod out first chance I get.

I like it if the game is focused on realism, which this isn't.

One of the great things about PoE2 is the stash mechanic. Unlimited inventory space and carry weight. They even added a search bar in a patch so you can easily navigate it.

I'm a beta user, I've played it over 70 hours and I want more. And I haven't even experienced much of Kingdom system yet. I'm so eager to see how my Kingdom will evolve over time!!! :)

Fair enough, but I find most games that long depend on filler content. 120 hours sounds like a filler nightmare, and there are other games I want to play as well.

My impressions as someone that has only seen previews

Combat - I wont like it because it's not PoE 2.
Story - I already know the story and it's not as good as PoE 2.
World - Golarion is a bland knockoff of the Forgotten Realms but PoE 2 isn't.
Dialog - Not very good. Too many wall of text responses. PoE 2 is better.
Companions - Not that important to me, but some look interesting like PoE 2
Difficulty - I've heard that it's challenging, which is good like PoE 2.
Kingdom management - Haven't heard much about it. This interests me the most, but not as much as PoE 2.
Content - 120 hours is too much. I heard beta users say it gets repetitive eventually unlike PoE 2.

Yeah… we know. :)

It does sound quite long but for me the 70 hours went by so quick, planning my charcter build, attemping different strategies for each combat, making decisions on how to resolve each quest, learning/reading up on lores.... these all add up!! :)

Many RPGs allow you to do all that. My backlog isn't growing any shorter.

I will probably enjoy the game, but I don't know if I will like it enough to invest 120 hours. Not even my favorite games can hold my attention that long in one playthrough.

I disagree, just look at how it works in PoE, you have loads of dialogue options you can't use because you lack the attributes, the skill, the class or the ability. And the game is better for it. I see no reason why alignment can't work the same way.

Its not the same. In case of PoE you talk about skills or special experience of your character while in Kingmaker's case its about your morality. Morality is complex thing based on actual context - not some general black/white compass - and the player is the one who needs to value actions. Some limitation is ok (you shouldnt do something that is completely strange to your alignment), but devs should be careful because they could gate your (dialog) options too much. So instead of playing your own hero you would feel like you have to play some kind of rigid archetype set for your alignment by devs.

Silver Coin said:
Combat - I wont like it because it's not PoE 2.

Does it mean that every game has bad combat except PoE2? :)

Silver Coin said:
Story - I already know the story and it's not as good as PoE 2.
World - Golarion is a bland knockoff of the Forgotten Realms but PoE 2 isn't.
Dialog - Not very good. Too many wall of text responses. PoE 2 is better.
Companions - Not that important to me, but some look interesting like PoE 2
Difficulty - I've heard that it's challenging, which is good like PoE 2.

And when you talk about PoE2 does it mean you talk about your impressions too? :)

I don't hide the fact that I love PoE2, but I'm not oblivious to its flaws either.

Many RPGs allow you to do all that. My backlog isn't growing any shorter.

I will probably enjoy the game, but I don't know if I will like it enough to invest 120 hours. Not even my favorite games can hold my attention that long in one playthrough.

Did I say other RPGs don't let you do that? :) All those aspects are exceptionally enjoyable in Kingmaker.

Didn't realise you have backlog, unless it consists of PoE2 only ;)

I'm not sure about this game. I'm waiting to see how mod friendly it will be.

I'm currently playing a heavily modded version of PoE2 and I'm really enjoying it (now that I've been able to mod it to suit my playstyle).

Some things that worry me about Kingmaker:

1. Encumbrance (it's the first thing I'd remove with a mod)
2. Party members (I prefer to play solo as a stealthy rogue type character. PoE2 lets me do this. I'm not sure if Kingmaker has this option).
3. Challenging difficulty (I don't like hard, challenging games. I prefer to just explore and experience the story without getting frustrated. So this is the 2nd thing I'd mod, to make it as easy as possible).
4. Tabletop rules. This is not a tabletop game! If they add things like having to rest after every encounter to recharge spells then I'm out! Resting in the Baldur's Gate games was one of the most hateful game mechanics I've ever encounted.
5. The whole Kingdom building stuff. Does not sound appealing. If I want a RTS I'll play a RTS. I hope this part of the game can be ignored.

Those are my chief concerns at the moment. But if the game can be modded, then most of these things can be fixed to suit my own personal preferences.

So I'll sit on the fence for now and wait to see how things turn out.

I'm not sure about this game. I'm waiting to see how mod friendly it will be.

I'm currently playing a heavily modded version of PoE2 and I'm really enjoying it (now that I've been able to mod it to suit my playstyle).

Some things that worry me about Kingmaker:

1. Encumbrance (it's the first thing I'd remove with a mod)
2. Party members (I prefer to play solo as a stealthy rogue type character. PoE2 lets me do this. I'm not sure if Kingmaker has this option).
3. Challenging difficulty (I don't like hard, challenging games. I prefer to just explore and experience the story without getting frustrated. So this is the 2nd thing I'd mod, to make it as easy as possible).
4. Tabletop rules. This is not a tabletop game! If they add things like having to rest after every encounter to recharge spells then I'm out! Resting in the Baldur's Gate games was one of the most hateful game mechanics I've ever encounted.
5. The whole Kingdom building stuff. Does not sound appealing. If I want a RTS I'll play a RTS. I hope this part of the game can be ignored.

Those are my chief concerns at the moment. But if the game can be modded, then most of these things can be fixed to suit my own personal preferences.

So I'll sit on the fence for now and wait to see how things turn out.

I don't think this game is suitable for you.

You can create custom characters and the story mode is available so those aren't issues.

From my experience, I had to rest often due to tough combat + encumbrance issues.

And the Kingdom building mechanic is the integral part of the game, it will end in game over if you neglect your kingdom. I didn't find it particulalrly burdensome though, and lots of quests are also unlocked through kingdom system.

I don't think this game is suitable for you.

You can create custom characters and the story mode is available so those aren't issues.

From my experience, I had to rest often due to tough combat + encumbrance issues.

And the Kingdom building mechanic is the integral part of the game, it will end in game over if you neglect your kingdom. I didn't find it particulalrly burdensome though, and lots of quests are also unlocked through kingdom system.

Aha! It's good to hear from someone who's actually played the game.

I was afraid it might not be for me. Thanks for the heads up.

@Farflame;, agreed. If it's too limiting responses based on alignment is not a good thing. I'm just saying that limiting dialogue options based on your character (including alignment) is not necessarily a bad thing. It's all about implementation.

I suspect there may not actually be that many different and meaningful outcomes to each conversation; it could just be worded as from particular perspectives.

Looks ok, as generic as it gets, but this could scratch that pure, iconic high fantasy crpg adventure itch.
Tbh, I'm not really interested in kingdom mechanic, rpgs typically suck at any type of resource management.
Watched a few videos, gameplay was classic RtwP mess, but at least it was over ( mercifully ) quickly.
Writing was overall ok, didn't have any "witty" wordplay/humor ( BGII) but it didn't drag itself with too many unnecessary adjectives, descriptives and lore dumps. I did expect a bit more dialogue options ( for crpg).
Overall, seems to me like a pretty decent crossover between Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate.

Last edited:
This would have been an insta-buy for me if it had been turn-based. As it is, I'm already sort of burned out on RTwP so will wait till it drops to $10.

I remember encumbrance being a pia in icewind dale; and while it was a pia in the ass the game was better for it in the long run; even though i cursed everytime i couldn't carry one more piece of loot.
-
However, given the intention for additional content I'll wait till the game is finished. It is one thing to have a stand alone expansion; but to add additional content to the middle of the game - well i'm gonna wait for the complete experience.

I remember encumbrance being a pia in icewind dale; and while it was a pia in the ass the game was better for it in the long run; even though i cursed everytime i couldn't carry one more piece of loot.
-
However, given the intention for additional content I'll wait till the game is finished. It is one thing to have a stand alone expansion; but to add additional content to the middle of the game - well i'm gonna wait for the complete experience.

Roses are red.
Gaming is fun.
You are too encumbered to run.

Well you two should stop being loot whores. ;)
See that sparkling sword with + 2 enchantment? Leave it there, wisdom.

Seriously though, all rpgs need to switch to grid/load out system with autosorting of typical items.

Well you two should stop being loot whores. ;)
See that sparkling sword with + 2 enchantment? Leave it there, wisdom.

Seriously though, all rpgs need to switch to grid/load out system with autosorting of typical items.

- I can't sell this oddity, what if I need it later for a quest?

- I can't sell this weapon because what if its needed for crafting or the stats.

- I can't use this potion because there might be an emergency
*emergency happens and I don't use it*
- I can't use this potion because what if there is a BIGGER emergency.

- I can't spend 2million in gold because what if there is a vendor ahead that has something I need.

At some point I realize I'm like a young Smaug, but its too late… much much too late.

And thats why I end up carrying 300,000kgs of loot and 4 supply drops safehouses scattered across the world.

7e2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom