The Outer Worlds - Review

Business decisions get made in the first couple months after a product's launch. Not a year down the line when the developer is getting a couple bucks for each sale during a Steam sale. So, yeah, it's still your choice, but you as a consumer won't factor into what happens in the long term. Reality hurts.

Wait, If I purchase a game I get to factor in what happens to it in the long term. BioWare must not have noticed I purchased their games.:biggrin:

Anyway the only one that factors in to games in the long term is the Majority.

Wait, If I purchase a game I get to factor in what happens to it in the long term. BioWare must not have noticed I purchased their games.:biggrin:

Anyway the only one that factors in to games in the long term is the Majority.

Yeah, something must be kinda wrong with this "theory".

I distinctly remember supporting both Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect - only to get exactly the worst kind of sequel to both - doing exactly the opposite of what I liked in the first games :)

Yeah, nah. I wish the world was this simple - and consumerism actually worked.

It's kinda like how democracy works. I guess if you look at who's US President, you get the picture.

I agree with a lot of the negatives posted in this thread. The loot game is uninspired and boring (levelled gear is not a thing I appreciate), the scaling was obvious, the combat a bit too easy and the character building a bit bland and without enough impact.

However, I also agree with Couch, the game was simply a blast to play through even with those shortcomings. And fun trumps everything, making this my RPG of the year so far.

Games that focus on SP with a good story without including the added crap that sucks the cash out your wallet like most other major games. Example live service games.

My Reddit post.I know ironic but hey the game is about capitalism gone wrong.;)
Ah, ok. I had falsely assumed you were thinking in another direction.
I can definitly sign what you said there.

So I've finished it last night.
It's a good game.
The main flaws imho are shallow character progression (combined with too easy combat) and boring loot.
On my personal fun scale I rated it 7.75.
(Greedfall: 8.0, Pathfinder: 9.25, PoEII: 8.5, KCD: 8.5, ME:A: 8.5, DOS2: 9.0, Tyranny: 7.5, TToN: 7.5, Technomancer: 7.5)

If it's true that it was developed with a small budget, I'm looking forward to the sequel.

During some missions it made me realize how much I miss a good Mass Effect game. :|
I forgot: I recommend this game. But I wouldn't buy it full priced. So my suggestion is to either wait for a discount or to subscribe to Microsoft Game Pass , play the game (30-40 hours) and cancel the Game pass right afterwards. As the game isn't very long and there isn't any need to play it again, you'll spend only a few bucks.

You must have put this in there just for me. I guess I’ll have to skippit then.
To be honest not specifically you.
The combat is extremely different from dodgeroll till doomsday Dark Souls (must add it's too easy on normal difficulty), the world is completely opposite of dark&gritty, the story is as rich as can possibly be and I'd drink a beer with all those sidekicks if were real people (except the robot, but I'd use him for chores definetly!).
I'm not saying the game won't be fun to people who liked DS. It won't be fun only to those who's #1 game ever made is DS.

To be honest not specifically you.
The combat is extremely different from dodgeroll till doomsday Dark Souls (must add it's too easy on normal difficulty), the world is completely opposite of dark&gritty, the story is as rich as can possibly be and I'd drink a beer with all those sidekicks if were real people (except the robot, but I'd use him for chores definetly!).
I'm not saying the game won't be fun to people who liked DS. It won't be fun only to those who's #1 game ever made is DS.

I can play all different kinds of game, but yes dark souls would be my favorite type.

I care very little for story and focus mainly on exploration, combat, character progression and gameplay mechanics.

Also not a fan of first person perspective. Although I have finished crisis and DX:HR. I much prefer third person or isometric. Although I cant stand isometric shooters but third person shooters are fine.

I can play all different kinds of game, but yes dark souls would be my favorite type.

I care very little for story and focus mainly on exploration, combat, character progression and gameplay mechanics.

Also not a fan of first person perspective. Although I have finished crisis and DX:HR. I much prefer third person or isometric. Although I cant stand isometric shooters but third person shooters are fine.

Well, if those are the things you care about, I wouldn't write this off so quickly.

Think of it as a mechanically shallow Fallout 4 with much better dialogue options (provided you're a fan of over-the-top satire), and a much smaller scope - in a slightly less drab setting.

While I know it will physically hurt anti-Beth people - there really is no closer comparison than Fallout 3 and 4.

What I really wonder about: there's sentient/intelligent aliens in Fallout 3 (mostly the mothership zeta expansion, to be accurate) but none in Outer Worlds. Odd, as it's a much more natural setting for that kind of stuff.

I guess that leaves room for an expansion? :D

Back
Top Bottom