Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Tobe4funas checked out Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem:

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem REVIEW - Diablo 2 on Steroids!

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - action rpg similar to Diablo 2. Absolutely loved how it captures the atmosphere and how it looks overall. It's currently in alpha (going into beta this September), so there's little content at the moment and obviously some bugs and stuff, but I'll be personally waiting eagerly for this one to come out.
More information.

Though I have backed this game and I appreciate that the reviewer loved it, I don't like the fact games still in alpha stage got reviewed.

Though I have backed this game and I appreciate that the reviewer loved it, I don't like the fact games still in alpha stage got reviewed.
Yes but this game has been playable since it was funded, and it looks like another developer has chosen the route of constant patches for the playable build like Kenshi.

Frankly I have no problem with this but I'll wait for the full release version to play.

Yes but this game has been playable since it was funded, and it looks like another developer has chosen the route of constant patches for the playable build like Kenshi.

Frankly I have no problem with this but I'll wait for the full release version to play.

Ditto. I backed it and I've played it a little, but I can wait patiently for the actual release. I played the heck out of Wasteland 2 before release and regretted it.

That's a big statement, "Diablo 2 on steroids." I'm not a huge action crpg fan but Diablo 2 was my favorite. It kinda makes me interested in this game.

The game looks wonderful and is on my wish list.
However…
There's a lot of feedback on Steam about it still being super unfinished after quite a long time, and the update pace is glacial.
E.g. from a few weeks ago:
Contains at best maybe four hours of dedicated campaign content currently. The skill tree is barren (full of nodes, yet half of them don't have anything written on them). Dialogue is shoddy and poorly written (errors are rampant). The number of skills available to play are extremely limited, and most don't have any real variance in playstyle as they level up.

I'm still in "wait and see" mode.

Reminds me of grim dawn; not necessarily the game but the glacial pace to completion…
-
To be honest from the video it looks like it might be pretty decent.

Don't people still play Diablo 2 even today? Considering how different Diablo 3 was in design, someone should try and just replicate D2 with a dash of more modern graphics. Sure it's unoriginal, but sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel. I feel like a lot of these Diablo clones are good, with their new quirks and all, but never quite as good as the King. And that especially includes Diablo 3.

Wolcen might be that game, but I'm still in the 'wait and see' crowd.

Crikey, I supported this game in it's kick starter, but the way the patches keep coming and coming I'm starting to wonder if it will ever actually be completed!! When and if that day happens, I'll be trying it out.

If Diablo two were on good old games, I'd rebuy it and play it once again. I'm not doing any of Blizzard's online shenanigans for a game.

There's a lot of feedback on Steam about it still being super unfinished after quite a long time, and the update pace is glacial.
E.g. from a few weeks ago:

The skill tree is barren (full of nodes, yet half of them don't have anything written on them).
I'm still in "wait and see" mode.

A huge part of an a-rpg is skill synergy and balance. If these guys don't even have all the skills implemented yet as a foundation, wtf are they doing releasing this in any form?

Pass.

i got nothing against this game i bought it on steam time ago and i played it some hours BUT calling this "d2 on steroids" it's just silly. In the state it is now wolcen can't even be compared to d2 : content, mechanics, loot is all work in progress and all yet to be seen.

Last edited:
Which one is a better grinder here? Diablo III? Grim Dawn? PoE or Wolcen?
JDR, Archangel, Drithius...Go!

[insert joke about "grinder" and "your mum" here]

Haven't played POE because I am leery of F2P and it being online, but have heard good things. Grim Dawn was great. I beat Diablo 3 when it first came out but only found it to be okay. I have heard it has improved a lot with the expansion and subsequent updates, but I never really had the desire to go back and play it. I also supported Wolcen, but it is in too much of an unfinished state for me to do much more than just firing it up to see what it looks like. So for me at this point, it is Grim Dawn by a long shot.

Back
Top Bottom