Which pen & paper RPGs have been turned into CRPGs?

Fnord

SasqWatch
Just out of curiosity, which pen & paper RPGs have been turned into CRPGs, and how faithful have the translations been?
Dungeons & Dragons: Too many to list, some have been incredibly faithful, others have been D&D in name only. (D20)
The dark eye: Realms of arkania trilogy & Drakensang 1 & 2 (don't know how faithful these are)
Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption was relatively faithful as far as setting goes (apart from some oddities. How many tremere elders are there in this chantry?), but the rule system was not faithful at all. Bloodlines's setting was very faithful (with a few minor nitpicks), and the rule system was somewhat faithful. (Storyteller)
Drakar & Demoner: Dragonfire: The Well of Souls (Drakar & demoner: Själarnas brunn) was too limited for the setting to really shine, and the rule system was not faithful at all. (BRP)
Traveller: Don't know much about the PC version.
Battletech/mechwarrior: 2 CRPGs, don't know how faithful they were.

Which ones have I missed (I'm sure that there are plenty), and could anyone fill in the blanks in my list?

Last edited:
That's all of the ones I can think of too. I'd really like to see a Fading Suns CRPG - too bad they've only attempted to do strategy games so far.

Dark Sun 1 & 2

Planescape Torment

-> special Dungeons & Dragons

Dark Sun 1 & 2

Planescape Torment

-> special Dungeons & Dragons

Yeah those are worth separate mention because the setting is significantly different from the high fantasy fare of most DnD games.

That's all of the ones I can think of too. I'd really like to see a Fading Suns CRPG - too bad they've only attempted to do strategy games so far.
I remember being very impressed by the setting and sheer scope of things. A lot of material to draw upon. I'm actually amazed no one has picked it up. Seems to be collecting dust instead.

I remember being very impressed by the setting and sheer scope of things. A lot of material to draw upon. I'm actually amazed no one has picked it up. Seems to be collecting dust instead.

RedBrick is doing a third edition of it actually - should be out this year. But yeah surprised there haven't been attempts to license the setting considering how rich the writing on it is.

The pen & paper RPG is still alive, though it is not getting the attention that it deserves. The strategy game was flawed but really good, and had a lot of background information in it (but you had to open the encyclopedia to get any of it). In fact, red brick is currently taking care of two of my absolute favourite pen & paper RPGs, Fading suns & Blue Planet.
*edit*
The Fallout games are a variant of the GURPS - system.

Fallout officialy lost its GURP ties though

In fact, red brick is currently taking care of two of my absolute favourite pen & paper RPGs, Fading suns & Blue Planet.

Yeah I love RedBrick for taking up and continuing Fading Suns after Holistic Design stopped developing content for it.

Don't forget Shadowrun. There was a pretty good SNES game, a Genesis/Megadrive game, and some recent FPS that only used the name.

*slaps forehead* Ah, the SNES version of Shadowrun, how could I forget? It was the reason why I discovered the pen & paper RPG with the same name in the first place. It stands as my most GMd game of all time (it is not my favourite, but it is very comfortable to GM, and it is a fun game). As far as setting went, it was somewhat faithful, although it did take quite a lot of liberties, and the rule system was not very faithful. I replayed the game recently, and it was actually surprisingly short and easy.

I did not know about the CRPG version of Tunnels & trolls.

It's not an RPG, but wasn't there a fighting game based on Werewolf?

People are forgetting a fairly major one.....KoTOR.

For more obscure games, there were 1 or 2 Buck Rogers games that came out back in the era of gold box games, I was always under the impression that there was a pen and paper RPG they were based on.

Then there was the Realms Of Arkania series, which I believe were based on RPGs.

re: Buck Rogers, yeah, there was. Don't know anything about it at all, except it was published by TSR. (Still think it's a shame that WotC killed the name off)

Then there was the Realms Of Arkania series, which I believe were based on RPGs.

Check post number 1 in this thread.

A Rolemaster adaptation would be great for the stat hungry such as my self, Earthdawn would have been nice too.

There was also a Spelljammer game by SSI (I think).

Had massive bugs, one of the few roleplaying-games of that time I never finished.

There was also a Spelljammer game by SSI (I think).

Had massive bugs, one of the few roleplaying-games of that time I never finished.

Yep, it was called Pirates of Realmspace, and was indeed by SSI.

I never played it, but I've heard it's legendary for how shitty it was.

Back
Top Bottom