Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Previews @ 1Up, GameDaily

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Here are a couple of Deus Ex: Human Revolution previews from GDC. First, 1Up has comments from Art Director Jonathan Jacques-Belletete about "nonlethal walkthroughs, robots, and secret real-world islands":
In a quick chat with DE: HR art director Jonathan Jacques-Belletete, when asked if one could finish the game without killing anybody (the actual form of the question, for context, was, "does [DE: HR protagonist] Adam Jensen believe in nonlethal takedowns?"), he answered, "Adam doesn't believe in nonlethal methods if the player doesn't believe in nonlethal methods. But if the player believes in not killing anybody, then you can finish the game without killing anybody. It's just like the first one -- except that we have the boss fights."
Thanks to Omega for that one. Here's one from GameDaily, via Bluesnews:
If there's anything that thrusts the game forward, it's the augmentation system. Here, you'll be able to use alterations to help you move on in the story, fighting against enemies (or, in some cases, passing them by) and changing things as you go. There are four types in all: Combat, Stealth, Technology and Social. How you use these augmentations is completely up to you, and they can totally change how you play the game. You'd be surprised how quickly you change from angry mercenary to non-combative strategist with only a few variations. The camera perspective can also shift from the traditional first to third-person, depending on what you're using at the time.
More information.

I generally dislike boss fights (they usually feel like distinct, OOC set pieces instead of part of the game to me), so that's mildly disappointing. But the rest of that first preview sounds promising.

But, wow, I really hope we can control the point of view ourselves and not leave it up to them! I don't want it switching to third-person for sneaking, for example, even if it makes it harder (although sneaking in first-person really requires the ability to lean since you don't have the camera cheat cheesiness of third-person).

DXHR's bosses fight are like Deus Ex's bosses fight: Walter Simons, Gunther, etc. At least that's what the F.A.Q thread on the official forum claims.

A bad boss fight is one that feels like a boss fight.
I disagree. Zelda : Ocarina of Time, for example, is one of my favorite games and I loved most of the (obvious) bossfights in there.

It's all about how well the boss is made.

Last edited:
I disagree. Zelda : Ocrina of Time, for example, is one of my favorite games and I loved most of the (obvious) bossfights in there.

It's all about how wel the boss is made.

Really?

I think it's about personal preference ;)

I despise the obligatory "Boss Fight" when it's obviously what it is. A really bad example is Bioshock - which was a total letdown in that way.

But again, it's down to what you like.

Really?

I think it's about personal preference ;)

could also be you haven't played a game with good boss fights (especially if you only play games on PC).. hell, i don't know of any game on PC that has good boss fights tbh.. The boss fight in Bioshock was laughable.

could also be you haven't played a game with good boss fights (especially if you only play games on PC).. hell, i don't know of any game on PC that has good boss fights tbh.. The boss fight in Bioshock was laughable.

Well, let's say I've played thousands of games on nearly all formats in the last 28 years.

I think I have some idea of what my tastes are ;)

DXHR's bosses fight are like Deus Ex's bosses fight: Walter Simons, Gunther, etc. At least that's what the F.A.Q thread on the official forum claims.

This sounds great because the boss fights in dx1 were key storyline moments, like the famous airport scene inside Lebedev's private 747. It was a really tough decision and you just felt bad inside no matter what you decided. No happy endins there. And running into Walton Simons at the botom of the abandoned ocean lab was creepy as hell. :)

This sounds great because the boss fights in dx1 were key storyline moments, like the famous airport scene inside Lebedev's private 747. It was a really tough decision and you just felt bad inside no matter what you decided. No happy endins there.

Did you know it's possible to not have anyone die in that scene? You have to exploit the game a bit, but you can do it.

Hmm? I didn't know such thing was possible. What do you have to do. She always forces me to choose :)

As far as i know you can either

1) kill Anna to protect unarmed prisoner. So Lebedev lives an other day..

2) Kill Lebedev like Anna ordered.

3) Do nothing and let Anna deal Lebedev.

4) Kill them both which would be an odd choise, but maybe jc took much zyme at the mole people hideout ;)

Basically you have to damage Anna enough to make her activate her stealth cloak, but not enough to kill her. She will no longer attack you or Lebedev after that point.

Here.....

Since there's no script written into the game for that scenario, it will still play out as if you killed Lebedev.

Back
Top Bottom