Planescape: Torment EE - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Zero Review has checked out Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition:

What Can Change the Nature of a Timeless Classic?

Enhancements, remakes and remasters are an aspect of gaming that, to me, are simultaneously commonplace and incredibly peculiar. For some titles, I understand it. Age of Empires II isn’t a title as readily accessible as it once was – the original title not being available for digital purchase anywhere – and the constant stream of new content and features justifies it as a worthwhile update. For other games, I often question whether or not the update was necessary. Such is the case with Heroes of Might and Magic III¸ where not only is the original game available on GOG, but the improvements are so meager (not to mention that the original game has more content, since the HD version doesn’t include the two expansions), that the HD remake is almost entirely pointless. On paper, Planescape: Torment – Enhanced Edition seemingly avoids all of these pitfalls. How many new things can you add before the hardcore fans – particularly the ones who still have some baggage vis-à-vis Beamdog’s practices in the past – feel as if the essence of the game is gone? How much tinkering with the formula is too much tinkering? How do you make the game feel like a justifiable purchase and not something that is merely a lazy cash grab? The solution was seemingly to hire the original game’s lead designer, Chris Avellone, and have him spearhead the whole thing. That’s how you wind up with Planescape: Torment – Enhanced Edition, a game that doesn’t stray far from its core formula while offering just enough to be considered worthwhile.

[...]

It’s classic Planescape: Torment, just made better with a slew of improvements. It might not be worth it if you’ve already got a modded copy, but I would be remiss not to recommend this everyone else.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

It might not be worth it if you’ve already got a modded copy

Of course it wouldn't, its just a shameless cash-grab.

Can't way to play it :) The new features, higher resolution, and better UI are enough to make me want to return to this game, and I have enjoyed Beamdog's previous remasters.

Played it when it first came out, one of the few games I played over and over that wasn't Wasteland. Updated graphics, we'll see how it looks at a higher resolution.

Played it when it first came out, one of the few games I played over and over that wasn't Wasteland. Updated graphics, we'll see how it looks at a higher resolution.
It looks same/worse than easily modded PST

I hope tab highlighting was worth 20 euros, rofl.

It looks same/worse than easily modded PST

No it doesn't. They redid the UI and the game looks way better at high resolution. You can also freely zoom in and out, highlight items in the environment and the sprite outlines look great at higher resolutions.

Here's what the game looks like modded at high res:

maxresdefault.jpg

Here is the Enhanced Edition:

planescape-torment-ee-6.png

No it doesn't. They redid the UI and the game looks way better at high resolution. You can also freely zoom in and out, highlight items in the environment and the sprite outlines look great at higher resolutions.

Here's what the game looks like modded at high res:

maxresdefault.jpg

Here is the Enhanced Edition:

planescape-torment-ee-6.png
It still looks same/worse (because of black outlines and blurriness that are on by default). I agree that UI is better, still not worth 20E/$ over what PST+mods cost.

It still looks same/worse (because of black outlines and blurriness that are on by default).
Worse because of this? I don't see that as a an argument, since you can turn it off if you want. So far, I would say the looks is about the same as the original + mods (I have both installed for comparison), except for the UI.

I agree that UI is better, still not worth 20E/$ over what PST+mods cost.

I can see that there is room for critisizm, and I can agree to some of it. For instance, I don't like the fact that they withdrew the original (although some claim that they probably had no choice for licencing reasons. I have no way of knowing if that's true or not). OTOH, I believe that the EE will open up the splendor of PST to new users, more than the original + mods (if it was still available)

All in all, to me paying 20 USD (which is not much - to me) is well worth it.

pibbur who has a great time with it, and as before reserves his principles for things that matter (to him).

PS. OK, to some people 20 USD may be not be a small amount. Then again, they can afford the machine running the game (unless it was a gift, or they are using other people's machine). DS.

PPS: For the record, I would pay the modders, if possible. In general, if I use a mod, or some freeware, I tend to donate (if there is a donate button). DS

Last edited:
Worse - don't see that as a an argument, since you can turn it off if you want. I would say the looks is about the same as the origonal + mods (I have both installed for comparison), except for the UI.
Since these options are on by default and they look worse, and new players will not bother learning what these options do or turning them off, this look is now the default look for the game.

Since these options are on by default and they look worse, and new players will not bother learning what these options do or turning them off, this look is now the default look for the game.

OK, I hear you, and I disagree with you. Fair enough.

pibbur

I think it's a given that the same couple of guys are going to troll every Beamdog thread. :)
Trying to dismiss arguments by using word troll only shows you as a person of limited intellect.

There's no argument here to dismiss.. just a troll making a fool of himself with dumb comments.
Just because you don't understand it, it does not mean it is not there.
Go read my previous answer to you again, maybe you will understand it after second try.

Beamdog did a great job with this overhaul, and I think that it ranks as their best release after Icewind Dale. If you don't want to support their efforts, then don't buy the game. Pretty simple concept that does not require a "critical theory" analysis.

What? Why would players not simply turn them off? Are all new players stupid or is that just your arguments?

Of course it wouldn't, its just a shameless cash-grab.

What are ye on about, ye pikin' sod?! Were it not for Beamdog an' the like these games'd be that much closer ta' bein' penned in the dead-book, they would. Ye should stop rattlin' yer bone-box an' bein' so ungrateful. Instead ye should be thankin' 'em fer puttin' these great RPGs back in the limelight o' bit. Ye'd do that if ye were a true lover o' RPGs. Now pike off, ye berk.

:D

Back
Top Bottom