General News - The Sinking City Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PC Gamer reports on a new game developed by Frogwares called The Sinking City which has open world, investigation and lovecraft elements.

But even more interesting, and potentially a whole lot darker, is the studio's new project, which it announced today is an "open-world investigation Lovecraftian game" called The Sinking City.

The Sinking City will be Frogwares' first open-world investigation game, and "bigger than what we've ever made," according to the Ukraine-based studio. "We feel it's the right next step for us, bringing the investigations to be free and opened in the city. We also believe that Lovecraft universe, Cthulhu Mythos is the right setting for the game."

The announcement doesn't reveal anything else about the project, but Frogwares said a demo version will be on display at GDC, which is happening next week, so we should be hearing some proper details fairly soon. For now, we've got a screenshot and a couple of pieces of concept art that give me a tingle of joyful anticipation. Three images do not a good game make, but the visual melange of a little Dishonored, a little Fallen London, and a whole lot of Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn is a pretty good place to start.

More information.

I just can't get so excited for open world games anymore. These days, all I want is focus and a narrative that works.

I'm just surprised there are now two Cthulhu games being produced. Anyone want to take bets which will be better?

I don't think the Cthulhu IP is worth as much as something like Dungeons and Dragons, in fact I'm not sure that using Lovecraftian lore is even an IP per say, as there was a very successful RPGmaker game that used it. Using the rules for the pen and paper game is another matter, but even then it was never a hugely successful game like Vampire or D&D. As to your question Silver, the best game Cyanide made was Bloodbowl. I think their rpgs are rather so-so, and I've never heard of Frogware, but apparently they make adventure games. I don't have confidence that either will be a good game, but I'd still bet on Cyanide, they seem to have more experience with this type of game, and hopefully can learn from earlier mistakes.

I'm just surprised there are now two Cthulhu games being produced. Anyone want to take bets which will be better?

Can a Paranoia RPG be far behind? I, for one, fully support our computer overlord...

An open world does seem an odd choice for a Lovecraftian investigation game. I hope it's good, though. Bring on the nameless tentacled horrors.

I just can't get so excited for open world games anymore. These days, all I want is focus and a narrative that works.

I doubt that Frogwares, experienced creator of adventure games (!), will make some generic open world without narrative. I assume there will be storyline, but the city will be open to explore.

Trasher said:
So Frogware took the assets from its failed attempt to create this?

No. Early artworks for CoC were different.

BTW: Frogwares are fans of Cthulhu board game. I dont know why Focus took away this project from them, but it harmed their cooperation and Frogwares apparently refused to abandon it completely. Now Frogwares works with different publisher and creates own Cthulhu game.

Or its work of some agent of Old Ones. More games, more means to "impress" puny mortals. :biggrin:

I don't think the Cthulhu IP is worth as much as something like Dungeons and Dragons

Minor point, but...I believe part of the reason we're seeing both of these games right now is that there isn't really a "Cthulhu IP". Or rather, it's fragmented and much of it is now in the public domain. As long as Frogware treads carefully and doesn't invite litigation over "Call of Cthulhu" specifically, they might be able to do this without getting anyone's by-your-leave. A number of Lovecraft-inspired games have taken a similar route (albeit by not directly using Lovecraft's character names, which helped insulate them from claims).

http://lovecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Copyright_status_of_works_by_H._P._Lovecraft

The Cthulhu boardgame is really overdone, corny and lame, I can't stand it when my friends want to play it.

The Cthulhu setting itself works when it is based primarily on atmosphere and subtle tension that builds up and a conspiracy that is gradually unraveled. I doubt that they can nail it.

You have to be very serious and methodical for it to work.

Back
Top Bottom