Fallout 76 - Review in Progress @ Gamespot

Personally I could never get that damn transfer settlement mod to work in Fallout 4. I tied to transfer a few of mine, and even downloaded a few off of nexus to try out.
Perhaps, it got better with time. I use it for some of my own designs and some I downloaded without problems. Nowadays, even the electrical grid connects itself automagically. Very convenient.

Your standard for a good game is pretty binary, Joxer.
Not really, no. A game can be good even with outdated or rubbish designs inside it. Can't be 10/10, of course, but can be good.

What's binary in my case is something else. If it ain't good, well, on PC we have a luxury to make it good. With tinkering. Mods. If possible ofc. Sometimes it's not possible. Noone managed to stop bears from instarespawning in Hinterlands.

https://cad-comic.com/comic/it-changed/
ENG_20180813.x60343.png

I like this one.

Shame about Fallout 76, but I think most people knew this was a bad idea from the start. Not a bother to me, though - I have so many other games I want to play this year. I'm absolutely swamped with amazing titles.

I don't understand the notion that I have to experience a game to understand it, though. If Fallout 76 doesn't have NPCs, and a reviewer (someone who's meant to illustrate facts for their readers) tells me that, I'll take their word for it (depending on the source of course). I don't need to play the game to see that.

Similarly, while I understand the concept of not partaking in PVP, it also means I'm not making use of an intended feature - the game was designed for multiplayer. PVP doesn't interest me. I also don't typically enjoy crafting either. So what am I getting out of Fallout 76? In a game built around the idea of survival in a post apocalyptic setting, what am I surviving against?

I'm up to level 26. Does anyone have any questions? =)

It's Fallout, it's fun. All of the hate is totally uncalled for.
You're right. The hate is largely uncalled for. The game does need polish but unlike Elder Scrolls Online, which is nothing like Elder Scrolls, there is a foundation of a real Fallout game within F76.

Online PvP, PvE, private servers & paid mods does not compute to make it a real Fallout.
Perhaps, it got better with time. I use it for some of my own designs and some I downloaded without problems. Nowadays, even the electrical grid connects itself automatically. Very convenient.
I'll have to try it again as my last time using it crashed my save. As the settlement plans I downloaded usually require more mods. So fingers crossed as it's time for a replay.

I'm up to level 26. Does anyone have any questions? =)

You're right. The hate is largely uncalled for. The game does need polish but unlike Elder Scrolls Online, which is nothing like Elder Scrolls, there is a foundation of a real Fallout game within F76.
Please define real Fallout?

We don't even need to talk about gameplay details to know this isn't a real Fallout. Scrambling around to put together codes and launch nuclear missiles from old silos at areas which you then run towards, to get fatloots off of mutated "bosses" your nuke just created instantaneously (hah) isn't Fallout. Give me a break. Bethesda's blowing up the setting, either because they just don't give a shit, or never understood it to begin with. I suspect a bit of both and also that "real" Fallout, most likely, is pretty much over at this point.

Is there anything that's improved in Fallout 76 that can be carried over to the future Fallout 5? That's all I care about at this point as I doubt I'll ever touch this game.o_O

Please define real Fallout?

It's a Bethesda Fallout. Even to its own detriment. Same old engine, same old horrible pipboy inventory, etc. It's very much a big, buggy co-op Fallout experience and not a Fallout MMORPG.

The world is massive and just as densely packed with locations as Skyrim, though less dungeons. If you like aimlessly exploring and progressing your character through stats and gear you should enjoy it.

I feel like it's worth mentioning that inventory limit and stash space has been an issue for me. The game first appears to be all about hoarding but doesn't give you the space for it. I'm trying to work out if it's just bad design or are they trying to make you spend it on something, but I have no items that need crafting and tonnes of resource junk. Vendors have very few caps.

I think once you hit that point around level 16 when you find you have full inventory and full stash you're supposed to start investing more in the workshop factories. There's your home CAMP you can build near and move around but also areas for players to fight over and control. For example, you can take control of a food factory then go into build mode, do a bit of wiring and get the factory running again, use the terminal and tell it what to make. Dandy Boy apples or whatever. There's also steel mills and various other things. But players appear to be overwhelmingly peaceful so it doesn't cost much to control and upkeep a factory. We'll see how it goes at endgame.

Is there anything that's improved in Fallout 76 that can be carried over to the future Fallout 5? That's all I care about at this point as I doubt I'll ever touch this game.o_O

I don't think so. I'm not really sure because I hardly played Fallout 4.

Well thanks for the reply at least. I know Fallout 4 isn't popular either.:)

It's a Bethesda Fallout. Even to its own detriment. Same old engine, same old horrible pipboy inventory, etc. It's very much a big, buggy co-op Fallout experience and not a Fallout MMORPG.

The world is massive and just as densely packed with locations as Skyrim, though less dungeons. If you like aimlessly exploring and progressing your character through stats and gear you should enjoy it.

I feel like it's worth mentioning that inventory limit and stash space has been an issue for me. The game first appears to be all about hoarding but doesn't give you the space for it. I'm trying to work out if it's just bad design or are they trying to make you spend it on something, but I have no items that need crafting and tonnes of resource junk. Vendors have very few caps.

I think once you hit that point around level 16 when you find you have full inventory and full stash you're supposed to start investing more in the workshop factories. There's your home CAMP you can build near and move around but also areas for players to fight over and control. For example, you can take control of a food factory then go into build mode, do a bit of wiring and get the factory running again, use the terminal and tell it what to make. Dandy Boy apples or whatever. There's also steel mills and various other things. But players appear to be overwhelmingly peaceful so it doesn't cost much to control and upkeep a factory. We'll see how it goes at endgame.
So to you Real Fallout (tm) is aimlessly wandering through empty areas, shooting at same crappy enemies and collecting pointless loot?
Got it.

Have fun then in your Real Fallout (tm).

L73De4L.jpg

Edit: youtube tag seems to not work.
You need only the numbers after v= in the tags. Not the whole link.
Many new members seem to have difficulty getting a YouTube video loaded.

Most of the time you are simply using the wrong code, you have probably put the entire link between the YouTube brackets.

You just have to use the code from the YouTube URL in your browser.

Say, for example, you would like to embed a video with the link:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JFwCCL0Vh6U

Usage (but without the spaces):
[ youtube ]value[/ youtube ]

Given our example this means (but without the spaces):
[ youtube ]JFwCCL0Vh6U[ /youtube ]

So just use the number behind ‘v=‘

More negative video reviews.

Back
Top Bottom