What games are you playing now?

You mean the original Elemental: War of Magic? Have to say I skipped that.

Have you tried the newest one, Sorcerer King: Rivals? It looks like it lacks some of the customization that Fallen Enchantress has. Not really sure though.

Yes, that one - and good on you :)

No, I didn't try that one (SK:R). Looks interesting, but it's singleplayer only IIRC.

It's not a principle or anything, but I just don't enjoy singleplayer strategy games anymore. I don't find competing against AI very compelling (except as practice for coop/MP games later on) - as it's always such a predictable route of learning the ropes, and then simply exploiting its weaknesses.

I MUCH prefer playing with or against real people - as that makes games with the sophistication of 4X designs - or similar - that much more compelling.

Playing these games alone is tantamount to having sex with yourself instead of a partner :)

For fantasy 4X games - I still think Master of Magic is the best one. The closest modern games that I enjoy would be Endless Legend and Age of Wonders 3.

MM7H isn't exactly a 4X game - but I think it's underrated and really quite good, too.

Yup, those are nice. Endless Legend feels a bit more polished than the stardock stuff.

(Multiplayer with 4X is just too slow for me, it requires too much time scheduling to get a good group set up and playing. But of course, I'd presume it is much more interesting than the sorry excuse of an AI these games feature.)

You mean the original Elemental: War of Magic? Have to say I skipped that.

Have you tried the newest one, Sorcerer King: Rivals? It looks like it lacks some of the customization that Fallen Enchantress has. Not really sure though.
While not meant for me I'll say yes the original was a technical mess. It had bugs and crashing aplenty. As for Sorcerer King yes it's a simplified version of Elemental.

Basically more sterile and not as enjoyable as Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes was. Kinda a dumb move and its no wonder it wasn't that successful in sales.

As for Mp vs SP I always prefer Sp. Never gonna change either.:p
Yup, those are nice. Endless Legend feels a bit more polished than the stardock stuff.
If you like the endless games check out these two from Iceberg Interactive.

Dawn of Andromeda - https://store.steampowered.com/app/427570/Dawn_of_Andromeda/
Pax Nova - https://store.steampowered.com/app/804850/Pax_Nova/

Yeah, I really like EL - though I haven't played it much. I don't have many opportunities for coop gameplay, these days.

But what I really like about EL is its emphasis on strategy over combat - which is my preference within this genre.

Well, my preferences go somewhat like this:

RPG progression
Strategy/infrastructure
Combat
Story/flavor

Within this genre, that is.

It's also a genre where the very best games are more than 20 years old.

For my part, I don't think MoM or MoO2 have been bested as of yet. Which is pretty strange, if you ask me.

That said, I think GalCiv 3 with expansions might be very good - I just haven't had the time to delve into it properly.

What I enjoy about EL is that the game system is more polished and balanced. Expecially non-combat related elements, including diplomacy, are much better.
The setting is also more unique, not a run-of-the-mill fantasy setting.

What I like more about Fallen Enchantress (FE): the implementation of the turn based combat. EL's "targeting" and "fighting" phases always feel a bit odd to me. In this case, I prefer the more conventional approach of FE.

And by the way, I tried Sorcerer King in more detail yesterday and have to agree with @Couchpotato;. It seems pretty clear that FE is the peak of the Elemental series. :-/

I've been spending an surprisingly lot of time with an Indie game I've got from GOG : "Mages Of Mystralia". The graphics are very simple, a bit like in Hob, yet this game got me hooked.

Tried Tokyo 42 for a bit in-between fun.

The way the controls and the viewing angle interact just makes it too frustrating for me. Shame, I kinda liked the style.

Just picked up Grim Dawn and Destiny - needed something I can play in quick bursts with hubby.

Kenshi. Absolutely unique and utterly addictive. Loving it so far. :nod:

Good to hear, i did some work for that game years ago (flora, landscape, some textures). Haven't played it since.. probably time to try it out again soon..

Currently playing DKC2 and Tetris Attack (SNES emulation).

Playing Lost Planet: Extreme Condition. It's nothing special, but it's scratching the itch I had to play something Sci-fi and more action-oriented.

Good to hear, i did some work for that game years ago (flora, landscape, some textures).

Cool! I like the foliage in a lot, like the cactus areas and also near the Hive Village with all those tropical trees in the swamp. If you do any of that then good job, the game has a lot of nice landscape and foliage!

Now finally trying Vaporum, and enjoying it.

I still somewhat dislike this combat system, as I did in Legend of Grimrock (For some reasons, this did not affect me as much in older games, like Lands of Lore). The running around and positioning on the grid is just a bit tedious. On the plus side, more reason to min-max my character, to make fights end sooner. ;)

The atmosphere is great, although the setting is quite strange. Was surprised to find brick-walls in this giant metal structure. A bit odd.

Oh, and I'm glad they did not add any unnecessary survival elements (e.g., food).

Last edited:
I blew through Fallout: Tactics way quicker than I believed I would, probably because I had more time since family left the area after the holidays. I started Dark Quest two yesterday, and I'm enjoying it so far, the first map was pretty easy but after that, it got a bit more challenging.

Now for something completely different. Distant relatives came to me for the Holidays, and to entertain the youngsters, I've dusted off my treasured Pong machine from the '70s.
Despite the heavy CRT radiation, we had a blast. :)

On a more RPG related note: having fed up by current RPGs, I've decided to play some forgotten gems:
Lost Odyssey: an early x360 jRPG from the creator of Final Fantasy. Good…
Last Story: a late Wii jRPG from the creator of Final Fantasy. Good…

… erm, am I repeating m'self?! Good…

On a more RPG related note: having fed up by current RPGs, I've decided to play some forgotten gems:
Lost Odyssey: an early x360 jRPG from the creator of Final Fantasy. Good…
Last Story: a late Wii jRPG from the creator of Final Fantasy. Good…
Loved both those JRPGs and it's been a while since I played them. Thought you'd like to know Microsoft renewed the game Ip and even hinted a new Lost Odyssey.

It could be a new HD remastered version also.:(

Now as for me finishing up Atom and starting a re-play of Tyranny.

Lost Odyssey is one of those games that I've heard so much positive feedback on, I really hope it is released for computers someday. Great old games or steam, whoever wants some cash, make it so!

Neverheard about any of it.

Anyway, not enough free time for a hefry interval doesn't mean I don't have 5-10 minutes here and there. So I tried Star Trek Fleet Command on the phone.
Pay2win garbage it is. But as it happens, I'm still playing it. And not paying. Till I finally catch a breath for a proper PC singleplayer game.

Thought you'd like to know Microsoft renewed the game Ip and even hinted a new Lost Odyssey.

I fear this game is a typical One-And-Only type of experience. A sequel would just be more of the same, thus, it won't be that much of a big bang the original was (is).
Hence, I usually despise sequels, even if they are a technically better game (see: Bayonetta 2)

Back
Top Bottom