M&M8 Engine - Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Over on the Celestial Heavens forum Rodril is attempting to merge Might and Magic 6,7 and 8 into the Might and Magic 8 engine.

Hello.

Here is thing i did for past time: merge of mm6, mm7, and mm8 on base of mm8 using MMExtension.

Download link (MMExtension and Editor are included, game is not included): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cu6tlpkh99pw ... jMWfa?dl=0
Update 21.12.2017, use it if you've downloaded main files before: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v6bsucr1m5ck ... uQOfa?dl=0
Note: first launch after this update will take longer than usual.

How to install:
1. Install GOG version of Might and Magic VIII.
2. Install GrayFace's patch for MM8.
3. Unpack MMExtension and MMEditor files into MM8 folder.
4. Copy files from "Game files" folder to MM8 folder, replacing existing.
5. First launch can take up to 15 mins, keep patience.

I did test only main stories and partially promotion quests, those should work right, other stuff can be buggy and requries feedback for fixing.
Known unfixed bugs/issues:
1. Win7 x64: some cutscenes can not be played in full screen mode, watch them in windowed mode. Did not notice it in Win XP x64 and Win 10 x64.
2. Some MM6 dungeons are glitchy in hardware game mode, use software mode for it (possible crashes while moving through doors).
3. One half of double-leaf doors in MM6 dungeons sometimes stays impassable, second part usually works fine.
4. Some bonuses of relics and artifacts from mm6/7 does not have any effects in fact.

Possible contributions if someone would:
1. Testing.
2. Repainting mm6/7 armors to fit mm8 dolls.
(video-example at 1:18 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/82s8qybipshy3 ... e.mp4?dl=0 (video a bit outdated, use dump(*table*) function to find new fields of structures)).
3. Inventing additional character paperdolls (going to add video-example in nearest future).
Most calsses came from mm6/7 are not elighible for some mm8 dolls, i.e. vampire paladin sounds senseless, so adding more human paperdolls would be great.
Current additions: two elf females by J.M.Sower.
4. Rescripting mm6/7 relics/artifacts bonuses.
(video-example at 3:00 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/82s8qybipshy3 ... e.mp4?dl=0 ).
5. Inventing quests or story arcs which would lead player from new game continent to story lines of other continents.

Localization:
This is english version based on GOG releases. I did external database to not get confused with all game files, i think, i can use it to automatically replace current files with other localization, send me your *.lod archives from game folder, so i can try to do it.

Russian text localization by Kristal: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pqnrlq4h6gso ... MXo6a?dl=0 - Unpack files into "Data" folder.

Tips:
1. "Queen Catherine" starts shipping to Antagrich and Jadam after revealing Silvertongue's treason.
2. Ships from Ravenshore starts travelling to Antagrich/Enroth when party gets access to Regna.
3. Ship from Tularean forest starts travelling to Jadam when party finishing Dwarf king's quest.
4. Party can be filled up at start or durning gameplay by hiring random followers.
5. Game have weather effects (snow and rain), if it becomes annoying, rename "weather.lua" in ..\Scripts\General folder to "weather.lua.off".
6. Simple way to achieve high resolution (provided by China community): https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/16658
7. I've used Marcon Phoenix's world map for new game menu.
8. Script "AdaptiveMonstersStats.lua" in "...Scripts\General" folder is in test state, if anyhow it leads to gamebreaking monsters's behaivor - remove "Bolster - maps.txt" from "...Data\Tables" folder.
More information.

This sounds very interesting. Might and Magic is my favorite series. Will have to check this out when a little more testing is done. I have plenty to keep me busy atm.

I dunno, I don't feel the difference between 6-8 is that large? They're all dated but perfectly playable.

When I first read this, I thought that they just meant that 6 & 7 were being re-mastered in the MM8 engine.

However, on further reading, it seems like they're trying to make 6, 7 and 8 into one colossal "mega game" where you can travel between the continents. I assume one MM8-style party can venture across all three games. Interesting, certainly, but sounds a bit mad trying to work and balance all that content!

When I first read this, I thought that they just meant that 6 & 7 were being re-mastered in the MM8 engine.

However, on further reading, it seems like they're trying to make 6, 7 and 8 into one colossal "mega game" where you can travel between the continents. I assume one MM8-style party can venture across all three games. Interesting, certainly, but sounds a bit mad trying to work and balance all that content!

That's certainly more interesting but...you'll be seriously OP most of the game making it less interesting. They could of course seriously limit XP gains to compensate, but then progression will feel hampered and slow. Not sure there's a good way to make a merger work, but best of luck to them.

@Skullguise; says it works now:
Rodril at Celestial Heavens has created a patch that merges Might and Magic 6,7, and 8 together using the Might and Magic 8 engine. I have been playing it for a week or so and it is FANTASTIC! You can go between all three game worlds using the same party.

-> link

MM6 had a really nice 2D pixel graphics.

What?? MM6 how i remember it was really ugly. MM 3+4+5 had nice 2D pixel graphics.
MM6 only had ugly prerendered sprites. yuck! ;)
Gameplay was quite good, nonetheless.

I'd love to see how this pans out if people actually test it, though it seems rather complicated to set up. I would be way too afraid of doing something wrong that would just delete everything!!

Apart from going from one game to the next, what's the advantage of this?

I don't recall significant engine upgrades, but then again - it's been a long time.

Apart from going from one game to the next, what's the advantage of this?
None whatsoever.
These games need a proper remake instead of beating the bush or corpses.

Back
Top Bottom