The TV Series discussion thread

Well, to be clear, I have no problem with you posting your opinions, or videos that you feel back them up. My beef with those videos is that they sometimes seem to take it a bit far, and are always looking for the political angle to get outraged about. That's why i was making comparisons to the ultra politically correct opposition - it's those people who always find a reason to grind their axe, and at a certain point one thinks, "Oh, FFS, give it a rest!" But, that's not to say there aren't valid points to be made, sometimes. (Also, there's that one dude that gives me the willies.)

Another example I would give of a recent show that I thought did it well was Godless. It was described as a feminist western, and, if that's a feminist western, I'd like to see some more of them. It focused on the women of a town where the men had been wiped out. It was all about the characters, the writing was excellent, and the villain was complex and compelling. There was a lesbian character who was the rebel and rubbed the straight-laced townswomen the wrong way. All great stuff, IMO. It's not the fact of a political point-of-view, it's how you do it.

Godless was good, though the ending was very disappointing and it was hard to not roll my eyes to just about every scene, in that last ep. But yes, worth a watch for sure, some great characters and it's stupid to call it "feminist", there was a good reason why there were mostly women, it was in fact a really great and interesting take on the western theme. I think it was a bit dumb to do a series, a movie would have been a better medium, content wise.

Finished Westworld season 2. When will season 3 will be released?

Who knows. What's known is that the second season of STD will air on CBS All Access beginning January 17, 2019. In USA. Worldwide it'll be available on Netflix. :D

Trailer? Sure:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe this will be good. Youtube's 10parter sci fi called Origin.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/05/youtube-origin-series-trailer/
The plot finds a group of outsiders trapped on a spacecraft heading to a distant planet that can sustain life. Of course, something goes wrong, they wake up early, and not everything is as it seems. Is there something non-human aboard the ship? Or should they fear one of their own? All will be revealed on November 14th when the show's ten episodes simultaneously land on YouTube Premium.

Last edited:
Who knows. What's known is that the second season of STD will air on CBS All Access beginning January 17, 2019. In USA. Worldwide it'll be available on Netflix. :D

Trailer? Sure:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe this will be good. Youtube's 10parter sci fi called Origin.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/05/youtube-origin-series-trailer/

Where is Origin on?

Is it Netflix?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Nope it's a YouTube Original series. You have to pay to watch.

Yeah... I won't be doing that. Series looks like it might be quite good, though.

Was watching the season finale of Fear The Walking Dead and it was so lame I was shocked to discover a week later that it was the season finale. Everyone helping each other and being a bunch of goody two boots. Ick. The most defining moment of true horror in recurring characterizations on a television series for me was in that episode of The Walking Dead where Rick and his gang execute the cannibals. This was the polar opposite of that. It left a taste like tofu in the mouth. Speaking of The Walking Dead, season premiere was last night. Didn't watch it. The show is looooong past its expiration date and smells like bad ham now. But I'll get around to seeing it eventually just in case by some miracle it's actually good.

Yeah, Walking Dead lost me a long time ago. Initially I thought it was really promising, but it became a melodramatic soap opera propped up by sadistic spectacle.

The most defining moment of true horror in recurring characterizations on a television series for me was in that episode of The Walking Dead where Rick and his gang execute the cannibals.

Great episode. That was at the start of season 5 iirc. It's been all downhill since then.

Great episode. That was at the start of season 5 iirc. It's been all downhill since then.

I've held a theory for many years, quite possibly haphazard, that the vast majority of television series all jump the shark after the 5th season. After that, it's just endless recycling and variations on a theme of ideas that had gone before or devolving into downright silliness..

Doctor Who was good, then again I expected it to be. My current favourite show has it's finale tonight, Better Call Saul, and I'm hoping for pure complete off the rails shenanigans!!!!

Pretty boring season finale with Better Call Saul, too predictable.. Good thing there was nothing with Salamanca, because that shit is getting really old.

It's a shame the show drags out on everything into infinity, things that should be a 3 ep thing at max spans over entire seasons. I'm guessing next season is the last and that it will end when things could have picked up tremendously because they decided the show is mostly going to be about very mundane things. If you're freakishly into character building i guess it doesn't get better than this though.

I'm usually not hugely into the characters of a show, but Jimmy's downfall to me is fascinating, as is Kim's attraction to him and the shenanigans that they enjoy pulling together. I don't know if anything like this is even possible, but if there were another spin-off, I'd really like to see Kim's life, perhaps in her post-Jimmy era. I suspect though, that once this show is over, Gilligan will move onto something completely new and different.

I'm usually not hugely into the characters of a show, but Jimmy's downfall to me is fascinating, as is Kim's attraction to him and the shenanigans that they enjoy pulling together.

These shenanigans has happened what, 3 times in 4 seasons? I agree that those are entertaining though, but it's not something which is the focus of the show.

Her attraction to him is perhaps "interesting" but it's also very.. lacking.
For a really long time i thought there was some kind of quiet agreement between them that they should not touch or kiss, that it was just friend relationship they had, or even that one of the actors refused to do the normal relationship scenes e.g where they kiss or hug.

It will however be interesting to see how the relationship ends and if that even means her death (i'm hoping since i like dark stuff).

I completely agree that, early on when Kim and Jimmy were early into the relationship, there was almost a tacit agreement that it was a simply friendship, and nothing more than that. I believe that their collaborations in setting up and then pulling off schemes is what furthered the relationship, and that alone is a most troubling sign, and doesn't bode well for the resolution, in my opinion.

Seems we will have another Netflix inspired service this time by AT&T.

Link - https://www.axios.com/att-launch-ne...019-06574ea7-5ed6-4b38-9323-f7cf9ea7bd34.html
AT&T will launch a new direct-to-consumer streaming service in late 2019 that will offer a collection of "WarnerMedia" (formerly Time Warner) content, the company wrote in a regulatory filing Wednesday.

The details: The service will include content from WarnerMedia brands, starting with HBO and other Time Warner content. AT&T says it will feature films, TV series, libraries, documentaries and animation.

Bron/Broen (Swedish/Danish production). I quite like the two main characters (Kim Bodnia is great like always, the Swedish woman is doing OK).

When Swedes tries the more "epic" stories it gets ridiculous very fast, and it's all over the place. It tries to mix rather dark, down-to-earth stories with outdated over-the-top themes of 80's action movies.

The "Mastermind" bad guy is a martial arts expert (of course!), a super hacker (he's super smart AND super strong! woah!) and he can also "teleport" himself to places (because well.. the plot wouldn't work otherwise). He's basically like a mix of Bruce Lee, Jason from Friday 13th and the UNA-bomber. Mix this with the ""dark"" theme of a homeless drug user who suffers from some form of retardation, a brother who hasn't given a shit since 15 years and now decides this totally deranged druggie is what he want's to save and spend his life with.

The 7th episode will be my last, i've had enough. 4/10.

Back
Top Bottom