Choosing a laptop - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Choosing a laptop

Default Choosing a laptop

September 15th, 2020, 09:03
Hello !

Long time lurker, but my first post.
My current (soon to be ex) pc is showing signs of tiredness after 5 years of service; and i am considering purchasing a laptop to be able to play things like KCD or ACrigins (Probably the most recent and demanding games i have played).
I live in NZ, so prices can be steep - but i found this laptop: Asus TUF506 RTX 2060 15.6” amd ryzen7 4800H 16gb 512 Gb. Priced at 2100nz$.
Do you have any thoughts on this configuration ? Is there anything else i should consider (within reason :-) )?

Many thanks !
W

Wojciech

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 17th, 2020, 07:58
Any reason to go with a gaming laptop instead of PC? For years the idea of a gaming laptop has been intriguing for myself even, but in the end in order to get the proper experience out of it, I still end up plugging in a mouse, keyboard, monitor and also on AC power so that I get more than 2 hours of battery life. The only advantages I’ve admitted is that they’re nice for the rare LAN party and is great for minimalists and/or those with zero space or low power consumption like campers or truck drivers. But not worth the investment other than that. And right now Ryzen makes a desktop PC extremely compelling Plus there’s the added issue of laptops being proprietary by nature, so that required extended warranty probably equal to or costs more than a decent gaming PC itself.

This is simply my take on gaming laptops themselves as a main gaming system. Getting a cheap used Thinkpad and playing browser based, dosbox or even the occasional diablo 3 can be great.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

September 17th, 2020, 10:46
If your peripheral hardware is still OK, than only replace the computer. It will be cheaper and or much faster for the same value. If you want to have a mobile(ish) platform, than the proposed laptop will do the job just fine.

basharran

Sentinel
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Choosing a laptop