Project Eternity - Drops Crafting Skill and Item Durability

Items should break as I told Tim. He decided to shorten development time by getting rid of breaking weapons & equipment. That's sad. But understandable..

Still breaking weapons during battle are great fun in Baldur's Gate!

Skyrim is different because it's a single character game. In a party game you have so many more armor/weapon slots (if not why not?) to fill that you don't need durability/breaking to have an interesting armor/weapon progression. Durability is mostly a pain in party games, since it aggravates the hassle of getting stuff repaired by the number of party members.

I'm not sorry they dropped the crafting skill; that ability always seemed a little out of place for a group of adventurers. But the durability mechanic adds a little realism and it could have been polished up to the point where it is painless to use.

I don't think anything is wrong with adding "realism" features, such as a durability system, but it should never interfere with having fun. There must be some way to automate whatever player behavior is necessary to quell the needs of such features or they become an annoyance system. 95% of the time this happens with encumbrance, durability, hunger, thirst, ect.

If the problem is too much money, you can't appeal to the players that they need to pay an equipment tax and do an annoying checking and micromanaging activity and expect widespread approval. Some people like that, but some really hate that (like me).

Encumbrance should only affect items that are currently worn and can be actively used (such as a backup weapon or alternate armor). This limits it to a strategic consideration only. Loot in the form of items to be sold or stashed should be managed both efficiently and without going anywhere. The pet in the torchlight games was good, but magic faeries that instantly do it for you are better.

Some people think what I call annoyance systems make the game more immersive, but I find I can just imagine tasks like selling items and repairing weapons were done with far more satisfaction than pressing buttons and sifting menus for hours of my recreation time. But I am all for giving people the option to do so if they want.

Last edited:
Next we will get an update every time JE Sawyer takes a dump. No interest in this game in the least after just a few of his inane posts, but even if I did it would have long since been killed by this much hype over every little detail.

Next we will get an update every time JE Sawyer takes a dump. No interest in this game in the least after just a few of his inane posts, but even if I did it would have long since been killed by this much hype over every little detail.

Quick, Couchpotato! This is headline news! "ManWhoJaped Not Interested In Project Eternity!"

Quick, Couchpotato! This is headline news! "ManWhoJaped Not Interested In Project Eternity!"
Interesting but not news worthy. The Codex could run the story though it would fit in fine there.:mwahaha:

I love seeing detail like this. It shows they are care about what their fans and backers say.

I saw the initial idea of item durability and thought what many here did. It was a gold sink better suited to an MMO. I didn't comment on it since it wasn't a huge deal to me - but I'm certainly not sad to see it go.

It does have a place in games with scarce resources (fallout/wasteland) or if done differently in this game but its a good move.

because paying taxes is more fun than taking care of your equipment

I foresee less than stellar money sinks taking the place of durability.

Actually having you pay taxes could be fun if done right. Having your stronghold reposessed or the guards after you for not paying your taxes would be interesting. You then need to do something to take care of the taxes like borrowing from a loan shark or do favors for the tax collector. Maybe even getting involved with politics to maybe get a reduction in your taxes.

Yes but your post is somehow interesting. An uninteresting newpost was made about an uninteresting game, the only thing noteworthy is just how uninteresting it all is and how overhyped. Sad that this is what gaming has come to.

Too bad. The durability system they described sounded cool. Too bad they're trashing it.

And removing skills never makes me happy.

Yes but your post is somehow interesting. An uninteresting newpost was made about an uninteresting game, the only thing noteworthy is just how uninteresting it all is and how overhyped. Sad that this is what gaming has come to.
You must have some interest then since you have time to read and respond to a game that you find uninteresting and over-hyped.;) Quite the contradiction here.

Oh no someone doesn't like something and said so, better drive them off the site.

And you must have some interest in my uninteresting post, too! Practice what you preach, at the least. Better yet let someone say their opinion without having to get your panties in a bunch.

I know everyone here likes games like oblivion and dragon age and alpha protocol and thinks there's nothing wrong with hyperbole and overhyping awful products but not everyone agrees.

And you must have some interest in my uninteresting post, too! Practice what you preach, at the least. Better yet let someone say their opinion without having to get your panties in a bunch.

I know everyone here likes games like oblivion and dragon age and alpha protocol and thinks there's nothing wrong with hyperbole and overhyping awful products but not everyone agrees.
No it's a forum and I respect everyone opinions. I was taking a jab at you not your opinion. You obviously can't see sarcasm can you.

You can go ahead and rearrange my words into something else again. Then again you have the smell of the codex begone you little imp.:devil::whip:

Last edited:
Actually having you pay taxes could be fun if done right. Having your stronghold reposessed or the guards after you for not paying your taxes would be interesting. You then need to do something to take care of the taxes like borrowing from a loan shark or do favors for the tax collector. Maybe even getting involved with politics to maybe get a reduction in your taxes.

I guarantee you'd have a shitstorm brewing if you implemented taxes.

The idea/ concept of a money sink isn't tied to quests; doing quests instead of reaping your surplus gold is an entirely different affair.

I had some fun in Jagged Alliance 2 with jammed pistols …
Crafting can be good, too - best in class: Evil Islands

I guarantee you'd have a shitstorm brewing if you implemented taxes.

Not necessarily. What if, as you start the game you're a (or a bunch of) normal dude fresh out of adventuring school, so you must pay taxes like everybody else. But then you grow and grow and eventually you become a lord of something and actually start receiving taxes which you can use to improve your keep, that would give you something to look for, and I like having things to look for in my RPGs.

Not necessarily. What if, as you start the game you're a (or a bunch of) normal dude fresh out of adventuring school, so you must pay taxes like everybody else. But then you grow and grow and eventually you become a lord of something and actually start receiving taxes which you can use to improve your keep, that would give you something to look for, and I like having things to look for in my RPGs.

lol, forget it. People have whined incessantly about item repairs being "too mundane", "not really realistic", "a chore" and "a hassle". In all the time I've been following CRPGs, one thing is clear: what people want from an RPG is escapism. Anything that smells like washing the dishes or doing the laundry is right out. You will get very vocal very negative feedback on it.

Btw as you see, paying taxes won't appeal to many, which is why your suggestion depends on reversing the tables halfway (?) through the game.

Excellent. I've never been a fan of durability in games, so this is a very welcome change. Dropping the crafting skill probably doesn't make much of a difference as long as the crafting system is still in place.

Well, the casual players get what they want again. Whats new?
You mean the casual players that believe enough in an old-school RPG that they'll help fund it out of their own pockets? Sounds like my kind of 'casual' player.

Back
Top Bottom