Driftmoon - Enchanted Edition Now Available

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Driftmoon Enchanted Edition is now available. The game is now playable on more platforms and has new features.

Announcing: Driftmoon Enchanted Edition!

Hi! This is Ville and Anne, the developers of Driftmoon. The time for releasing Driftmoon - the Enchanted edition - on multiple platforms is finally here, yay!

If you already own Driftmoon through Steam or GOG, your game will receive the update right now, or really soon. If you haven't yet tried Driftmoon, a big portion of the game is free on all platforms, so give it a go:

We've had a ton of requests about getting Driftmoon on more platforms. Initially we started work on the Enchanted version right back in 2013 when the first version of Driftmoon was released, until life put a temporary stop to our plans (kids, illnesses, money issues, etc). But we never gave up on our dream of finishing the Enchanted version of Driftmoon. Finally, a year ago we had a chance to resume work on Driftmoon again, and we've worked nonstop ever since. For seven years you've been sending us countless encouraging messages, and also tips on how to improve Driftmoon, so happily we haven't run out of encouragement, or of ideas on what to do. Thanks everyone!

What's new compared to the vanilla Driftmoon?

• Driftmoon now runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android - so take out your tablet or your cellphone and head straight for adventure!
  • We've added the Mystery Box, full of surprises for both you and your friends!
  • New characters, quests, items and skills (through the Mystery Box and elsewhere too)
  • Major graphics update: better textures to look better on modern screens, lightmapped shadows, and the lot.
  • Updated user interface: easier to use, looks better, and scales better: from your smallest screen to your living room TV. (still including the possibility to adjust text size, etc)
  • Tons of bugfixes, dialogue fixes, quest fixes and improvements.
  • Improved music, with an extra melody. All music by Gareth Meek - Thank you again, Gareth!
  • Gameplay enhancements: quest reminders, Silver feather counter (very useful!), and more.
  • The possibility to recover from a broken save (for example if your disk was full).
  • And more surprises! Because there's bound to be something cool that we forgot to mention here.😆
For the techinally minded among us, we've ported the old C++ Driftmoon to C# on the Unity platform. We think it was a good choice, although it was a huge amount of work.

What's next for Ville and Anne? Now that Driftmoon is finished, we're hoping to make enough money from it to finally get the chance to focus full-time on making our own games. We already have a list of game ideas some 500 ideas long, but we've narrowed our next pick to two top candidates that sound the most tempting.

We really hope you have fun playing! If you find any problems, please tell us. The easiest way to give us feedback is through the feedback button in the game menu. And most of all, we want to wish all of you good physical and mental health amidst this strange corona struggle that the world is currently going through. Stay safe!

More information.

Played this in 2013 and was one of my fist Let's Plays. Nice, unique and lighthearted game. Won't play it again, but would recommend to people not having played it yet.

Just curious about the control scheme.

Is it pure mouse and keyboard, and if so, can keys be easily redefined? And by "pure" I mean can everything be done via M&K. I've played similar games where M&K works for most of the stuff, but sometimes you have to use the keyboard.

Thanks in advance.

You mean that sometimes you have to use the controller?

Not sure what exactly you mean. ^^

Key Settings can be changed. You can check this video and look at 0:33 (and pause):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB1nqPP6wKE

Dont remember having any control issues, and I always play with M&K as I dont own a controller.

You mean that sometimes you have to use the controller?

Not sure what exactly you mean. ^^

I mentioned that in my comment but I was vague - Some games that allowed M&K did not do so everywhere; on occasion you had to use the keyboard to confirm something, or navigate a menu, rather than simply clicking on it which to me was not intuitive.

But M&K stands for "Mouse and Keyboard", so, yeah, you have to use Mouse and Keyboard for stuff. I don't quite understand what you mean.

Me too, M&K, is mouse and keyboard. A game that was mouse only would have to be extremely simplistic; no thanks. As far as Driftmoon goes, I thought it was preachy and pretentious. You'll actually find books of the Bible, random scriptures, and a ton of quests that were basically ripped out of the Bible. You're encouraged to play as a Christian, if I recall correctly. @Kordanor;, do you agree with this, or am I thinking of another game?

Haha, I ddon't remember any of that and it didn't leave that impression. I think I would have reacted pretty allergic in that case. ^^

To me the setting had more of a Terry Pratchett vibe.

Very nice. Had also played and enjoyed this back in 2013, long enough ago that it is familiar but largely a new experience. I grabbed the iPad version so I could give some $$ to the developers, and it is very nicely updated graphically based on my memory.

Me too, M&K, is mouse and keyboard. A game that was mouse only would have to be extremely simplistic; no thanks. As far as Driftmoon goes, I thought it was preachy and pretentious. You'll actually find books of the Bible, random scriptures, and a ton of quests that were basically ripped out of the Bible. You're encouraged to play as a Christian, if I recall correctly. @Kordanor;, do you agree with this, or am I thinking of another game?

I also remember it as a fun little game and can´t remember any scriptures

Here is the review
https://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/driftmoon-review-206.html

There are several Steam reviews that mention the Bible stuff here is one:

I have one big complaint about the game though, enough of one that I can't recommend it. The game makers want to share their love of God with you. One of the hidden books you find in the middle of the game, if you are a diligent searcher, has the entire Old Testament in it with the disclaimer that you aren't expected to read it if you don't want to but the Devs need to share their belief. After that, the amount of times your character is told to pray because of danger is infuriating. When I buy a game, especially a fantasy game, I am not paying for the Devs to evangelize at me.

Note, I don't agree with this review, lol. I thought Driftmoon was fine but the Bible stuff was a little weird on a fantasy moon with dragons iirc.

Well...Lord British hid his little essay about his world view (Ethical Hedonism) in Ultima as well, and praying isn't something too uncommon in fantasy games. ^^
Also you are helping some freakish guys in the game, like a skeleton vendor, which for people condeming Harry Potter as Devils Influence, would probably be unthinkable.

I just checked some of the footage and yea, in the credits of the game they thank
"Our Loving, Forgiving, and Almighty God, for giving us an unfaltering foundation, daily joy and peace of heart, and His everlasting hope. And for sticking with us each and every day, even on the hardest ones."

So, there is definitely some of this christian sentiment, but I didn't feel like it's pushed on you. Maybe if I played the game again and specifically looked for it.

@mprod; thanks for the link to my old review. Hopefully that will inform anyone who is considering buying this game.

Yeah, I remember finding the Bible and several quotes from the OT, but it wasn't over the top preachy. The game was just a little too simple for my tastes but I may pick up the enhanced version anyway. Why not?

I remember it being a bit simplistic as well. I didn't get far, and I found something that was the [somthing] of Tsirch (basically Christ backwards).

Anyways I still want to try the new version and see if it's a little more involved of a game -
Does anyone know if the GOG version has been updated? In the announcement it says the game is either already updated or will be soon. When I look in my GOG games, nothing about the title I already have for Driftmoon is any different but maybe it's already updated.

I remember playing the original version of this....must have been seven or eight years ago when I first got it, then replayed it again maybe five years ago. It is a simple game, nothing at all wrong with that, and I'll likely check out this new version simply based on how much fun I had with the prior iteration.

I should probably replay it as I can´t remember the religious part
Does all the spiders have the bible approved number of legs

Back
Top Bottom