Interplay - Something new is coming...

One thing I would like to see is another game in the Planescape campaign. Not another Torment, but I'd like to see more of that universe.

pibbur who is pretty sure that won't happen.

I've thought about this a lot, as Pathfinder looks like its selling through the roof, despite being buggier than BT4. Its not being buggy alone, BT4 has some performance issues, but its not really that buggy as far as gameplay goes. I think far worse are that few reviews really praise the game. Pathfinder reviewers say great game, if it wasn't buggy. There just isn't that many people who have played through BT4 who think its great. Me too. Its a competant effort, but I'm playing Battletech, POE2, BT4 and Kingdom Come parallel and the one I find the least exciting and enjoyable is BT4.

I'm playing Kingmaker over BT4. I was a huge Bard's Tale fan back in the 80's and donated to the kickstarter. BT4 just doesn't seem like it's a Bard's Tale game. To me, a Bard's Tale game should be about killing creatures, leveling up, and the maps.

Too many damn puzzles in BT4. My wife makes me feel stupid every day. ;) I don't need a damn game to do the same thing.

One thing I would like to see is another game in the Planescape campaign. Not another Torment, but I'd like to see more of that universe.

And it's a shame, because Sigil is such an eclectic city any kind of stories could take place there.

I'm playing Kingmaker over BT4. I was a huge Bard's Tale fan back in the 80's and donated to the kickstarter. BT4 just doesn't seem like it's a Bard's Tale game. To me, a Bard's Tale game should be about killing creatures, leveling up, and the maps.

Too many damn puzzles in BT4. My wife makes me feel stupid every day. ;) I don't need a damn game to do the same thing.

Me too, Bard's tale 3 was one of my favourites as a teen. BT4 is one of the few games I backed at over the minimum. I don't mind puzzles to break up the gameplay of a Dungeon Crawler, but I don't want to play a game primarily about puzzles. I think I had more fun with Grimoire, and honestly I probably even had more fun with Darkest Dungeon, which I didn't think was all that great of a dungeon crawler, but at least it was a dungeon crawler.

I'm really looking forward to the remake of Bard's Tale 3. I never played it and I enjoyed the Bard's Tale remake. Or update or remaster or whatever they are called. :)

Its not likely to be anything D&D related. Interplay stopped paying royalties on on Baldur's Gate and delayed the launch of NWN before they settled on giving up the publishing rights. They ended up keeping a lot the assets that were already built for it including the decent story. The only reason they were able to publish IWD2 and those BG console games was because they already held the rights which have since expired. We know that whatever was left of the IE assets were sold, including the IWD stuff to Obsidian (but of course the IWD2 code was lost).

I'm guessing Herve is still in charge. Why would WotC trust him?

A statement that a true Van Buren was being developed would most likely shatter the inter-webs to pieces!
You're implying that you (or anyone) would have faith in announcement like that?

How true but yet they lease the Ip to cheap MMO developers.
It's *almost* like all they care about is getting as many games out as possible in order to earn money on the license.

It's *almost* like all they care about is getting as many games out as possible in order to earn money on the license.
Yep but still hate those MMO's.:cool:

Still would like to see more good SP's games also. Anyway selling your Ip to whoever wants it just saturates the market with crap games, and ruins the brand image.

Yep but still hate those MMO's.:cool:

Still would like to see more good SP's games also. Anyway selling your Ip to whoever wants it just saturates the market with crap games, and ruins the brand image.

For a moment I thought you were talking about Game's Workshop.

For a moment I thought you were talking about Game's Workshop.
Earlier I was so it applies to them also.:nod:

As Game's Workshop is king when it comes to whoring out their IP's. Now don't get me wrong a few good gems were released but 80% is plain shovel-ware in my opinion.

To see Planescape again, you just need someone to make a game not set in the material plane.

Planescape never was an universe, WotC made a campaign setting out of the books that explained how the planes worked and what was in it. They discontinued the "campaign setting" with 3e and brought back the content into the core books and supplements.

It has a bigger focus in the core manual for 5e compared to 3e too, I don't own the core manuals for 4e so no idea what it looked like in that one.

To me, a Bard's Tale game should be about killing creatures, leveling up, and the maps.

Just far too many games adhere to that simple formula. Blizzard reached HUGE success with that - kind of an Nethack clone, as I often said.

What I do love - and I really love oit very, very, VERY much ! - is that the Bard is actually influencing things through Music ! Since Wizardry 8, I haven't seen that. Far, far, far too many games are out there merely sllowing mayhem and slaughter, and not a single game is about music. It's as if music as a gameplay part was an invention of the most evil.

Today, games - and especially most RPGs, and since most RPGs these days are based upon the Action-RPG model - are merely about combat. Battling, swords and slaughter, most don't even offer something more sophisticated that slaghter and maybe some kind of magic.

I bet that most Action-RPG lovers hate The Badrd's Tale 4 for its music. For, as you wrote it, "RPGs should be about killing and levelling up" (my words).

People are I bet hugely irritated by music as a gameplax part. It shouldn't be there, I bet they say. Like zjat enemy in the game already says - oh, what an irony ! - "Music is perversion !"

In the current age of dark, brutal, so called "mature", "heavymetalized" games, a thing like music is simply not wanted. Music is like colours. Music is childish. Music is immature. People want brutality.

I wouldn't call darkest dungeon a dungeon crawler; it hardly had 'dungeons' bigger than 8 rooms. To me a dungeon crawler has gazillion rooms. Hum. There was a 1/2 decent dungeon crawler a couple of years ago - let me try to remember the name - hum - one sec - yea - ok not sure if you would like it - it was called:
The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians

Me too, Bard's tale 3 was one of my favourites as a teen. BT4 is one of the few games I backed at over the minimum. I don't mind puzzles to break up the gameplay of a Dungeon Crawler, but I don't want to play a game primarily about puzzles. I think I had more fun with Grimoire, and honestly I probably even had more fun with Darkest Dungeon, which I didn't think was all that great of a dungeon crawler, but at least it was a dungeon crawler.

All cynicism aside, it's likely just something to do with Descent. They've been floundering with that franchise for a while now.

Just far too many games adhere to that simple formula. Blizzard reached HUGE success with that - kind of an Nethack clone, as I often said.

What I do love - and I really love oit very, very, VERY much ! - is that the Bard is actually influencing things through Music ! Since Wizardry 8, I haven't seen that. Far, far, far too many games are out there merely sllowing mayhem and slaughter, and not a single game is about music. It's as if music as a gameplay part was an invention of the most evil.

Today, games - and especially most RPGs, and since most RPGs these days are based upon the Action-RPG model - are merely about combat. Battling, swords and slaughter, most don't even offer something more sophisticated that slaghter and maybe some kind of magic.

I bet that most Action-RPG lovers hate The Badrd's Tale 4 for its music. For, as you wrote it, "RPGs should be about killing and levelling up" (my words).

People are I bet hugely irritated by music as a gameplax part. It shouldn't be there, I bet they say. Like zjat enemy in the game already says - oh, what an irony ! - "Music is perversion !"

In the current age of dark, brutal, so called "mature", "heavymetalized" games, a thing like music is simply not wanted. Music is like colours. Music is childish. Music is immature. People want brutality.

Actually the one thing I find really fantastic about BT4 is the sound. Not my kind of music necessarily, but excellent quality. The music riddles are excellent, the voice acting is for the most part very good. Also the enviornmental bard songs are really nice. Its just the Bard's Tale games were dungeon crawlers and not puzzle games, and even as a puzzle game BT4 has a number of problems, which IMO prevent it from being a great game, but that certainly has nothing to do with the sound.

I wouldn't call darkest dungeon a dungeon crawler; it hardly had 'dungeons' bigger than 8 rooms. To me a dungeon crawler has gazillion rooms. Hum. There was a 1/2 decent dungeon crawler a couple of years ago - let me try to remember the name - hum - one sec - yea - ok not sure if you would like it - it was called:
The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians

The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians was an enjoyable game. As far as Darkest Dungeon, it had many elements of a Dungeon Crawler, you entered, got to loot, leveled up, retreated to town, rested et, and the prinary focus was combat, which is typical to a dungeon crawler. Actually you entered each of the 4 areas multiple times and had to explore hundreds of room in each area. But since each time you entered you got a set number of procedually generated rooms, it didn't seem that way, since you had at some point to return to town and couldn't continue. Its for me a perfect example of why a hand crafted dungeon crawler is almost always better than a procedually generated one.

Back
Top Bottom