Loop Hero - Sells Half a Million Copies

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Loop Hero is successful:

500,000 Players Have Embraced Loop Hero!

Week One Sales Milestone, Steam Cards & Future Updates Revealed
We're so thrilled and blown away to announce that over 500,000 players have set out on loop adventures in the first week since Loop Hero's launch! But our biggest achievement has been to hit Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam user reviews - thank you all so much!

We're celebrating this all with a collaboration with Bard-the-zombie on a special series of Steam Trading Cards, available now in the game!

Next up, we're working on patches with quality-of-life updates you all asked for, including a system for saving during expeditions, new speed settings, and a deck of traits gained from bosses! After that, you can expect to see lots more content added to the game, such as new cards, transformations, classes and new music. We can't wait to share more updates with you all soon!

More information.

Wow, those developers must be very well connected.

Card collection, auto-combat, good dialogues, instant satisfaction!

I did a bit of research & the developers are regular Ich.io uploaders and have a raft of those ichy kind of games.

The more relevant aspect is probably the publishers, Devolver Digital, who are currently riding the populist wave after that weird popular party game Fall Guys went viral. Their Steam profile has 175k followers & they're on a roll I guess.

The power of media in a world of brainless masses. This game isn't beautiful, innovative or even great at anything. It's a little autobattle game that belongs more to something you code in a couple weeks to upload on a flash game site or a mobile phone app, but it got advertised and a couple somewhat known streamers picked it up and people without power to make decisions for themselves will buy it.

In any case, good for them, and grats on their success.

Reading the comments here I thought I was visiting the Codex. Almost felt like home - almost.

Anybody can self-publish games, apps, and books nowadays. The key is getting a few people on various social network sites to advertise to millions of potential buyers.

It's not just YouTube or Twitch anymore either.:biggrin:

The power of media in a world of brainless masses. This game isn't beautiful, innovative or even great at anything. It's a little autobattle game that belongs more to something you code in a couple weeks to upload on a flash game site or a mobile phone app, but it got advertised and a couple somewhat known streamers picked it up and people without power to make decisions for themselves will buy it.

In any case, good for them, and grats on their success.

Reviews on Steam are overwhelmingly positive, so there must be something about it that resonates with a lot of people. I took a good look at it, and I don't see anything that appeals to me.

Playing the demo at the moment. Starting the game instantly felt like good old amiga times, where you didnt know what to expect from a game, there were lots of new ideas, like this game which has gameplay which hasnt been done (at least not combined into something unique) before.
Of course i love retro games and the graphic style as well as the music.
Also the game is really easy to pick up (but hard to master?), so there is that.

Popular music, telly, films and books always prove that the majority of folks are really not very discerning. Don't lump yourself in with the brain-challenged, find out for a higher probability if something is actually worth your while, either by taking a chance or limiting qualifying reviews to people that you know, and might also know you. Demo's are also a solid way to go.

Playing the demo at the moment. Starting the game instantly felt like good old amiga times, where you didnt know what to expect from a game, there were lots of new ideas, like this game which has gameplay which hasnt been done (at least not combined into something unique) before.
Of course i love retro games and the graphic style as well as the music.
Also the game is really easy to pick up (but hard to master?), so there is that.

Where did you find a demo? I don't see it on the Steam page.

It's a fun game. Relaxing to play, I'd say. Good retro art.

But in the end, it's too slow for me, waiting for all that auto combat and auto walking to finish until you can actually make a decision again.

That's almost a sure way to conceal a demo, rofl. Thanks for explaining how to actually locate it, I don't think I'd ever done so without a guide, no lie.

It's a fun game. Relaxing to play, I'd say. Good retro art.

But in the end, it's too slow for me, waiting for all that auto combat and auto walking to finish until you can actually make a decision again.

I find it will become more stressfull the more "loops" you do in a level, because you constantly have to decide which gear to use / cards to play etc. Also everything seems to have side effects, like the combination of environmental tiles you place... But i am still in the learning process.

I find it will become more stressfull the more "loops" you do in a level, because you constantly have to decide which gear to use / cards to play etc. Also everything seems to have side effects, like the combination of environmental tiles you place… But i am still in the learning process.

Sure, ideally you'd be able to speed up by about 16x or 32x, but get an auto-stop when you get cards that are not duplicates of cards already on hand. (Gear probably doesn't even need that)

Sure, ideally you'd be able to speed up by about 16x or 32x, but get an auto-stop when you get cards that are not duplicates of cards already on hand. (Gear probably doesn't even need that)

Haha, what? Until now i didn´t even dare to speed up to 1.5x :)

Not a fan of how each new loop has you restarting with no gear. They should let you choose some items to carry over imo. Just an early impression from the demo.

Reviews on Steam are overwhelmingly positive, so there must be something about it that resonates with a lot of people. I took a good look at it, and I don't see anything that appeals to me.

Bizarre really, as I've barely heard anyone talk positively about it other than the interest of the unique format. Everyone I read suggest the game get real boring real quick!

Back
Top Bottom