Pre-Olympic hype!

Carnifex

SasqWatch
Not to be mean or anything, yet did anyone else view the absolute beat-down that Sweden gave to the current world champions via women's soccer? That was a disturbingly ugly display, the first twenty-five minutes or so were fairly solid, after that it's all Sweden all the time. That US squad has some serious work to do in a short period if they want to perform better.

And if this belongs in another thread, feel free to move it. I know a few of us discuss sports here at times and I thought this might be of interest to others.

I see the Olympic cardboard anti-sex beds have been debunked as fake news. :biggrin:

Not to be mean or anything, yet did anyone else view the absolute beat-down that Sweden gave to the current world champions via women's soccer? That was a disturbingly ugly display, the first twenty-five minutes or so were fairly solid, after that it's all Sweden all the time. That US squad has some serious work to do in a short period if they want to perform better.

And if this belongs in another thread, feel free to move it. I know a few of us discuss sports here at times and I thought this might be of interest to others.

I watched and enjoyed it :D

Nod, I quite enjoyed it myself, up until the time it imploded and simply became a one sided affair. The outcome to me was never in question from after the fifteen or so minute mark. The better squad easily took the prize.

I've often wondered what the taste of hubris might be like. Asking anyone on the losing squad might give an answer.

Although I tend to be nationalistic, (and there is nothing wrong with that, by the way) I never was a big time Olympics fan. I could care less how "our team" does, honestly.

But that said, some people definitely have a grin about what happened to that U.S. womens soccer team *cough* and it mostly pertains to one particular, outspoken member of it - instead of tears, its grins and chuckles -- let's just put it that way. :p:biggrin:

Although I tend to be nationalistic, (and there is nothing wrong with that, by the way) I never was a big time Olympics fan. I could care less how "our team" does, honestly.

But that said, some people definitely have a grin about what happened to that U.S. womens soccer team *cough* and it mostly pertains to one particular, outspoken member of it - instead of tears, its grins and chuckles -- let's just put it that way. :p:biggrin:

Ah yes - that's the spirit! Do let's drag nationalism and petty vindictiveness into it.

I’d be curious as to how many in the U.S. even care about the Olympics. When I was little I remember seeing it everywhere leading up to and during the events. Signage, fast food restaurants would have cups and stuff, on tv, etc.

Now, well, I didn’t even know it was going on until I saw this thread.

Not so Pre-Olympic but

Brasil 4 x 2 Deutschland

A good start. Another gold medal for our Fußball, maybe?

The Dutch are playing Brazil as well :)

I'd be curious as to how many in the U.S. even care about the Olympics. When I was little I remember seeing it everywhere leading up to and during the events. Signage, fast food restaurants would have cups and stuff, on tv, etc.

Now, well, I didn't even know it was going on until I saw this thread.

Really? You must not pay much attention to sports in general. All the major sports news sites have had Olympics-related articles lately.

My relatives in the Emerald Isle, Britain, and Germany seem to care much more than the family here in the states do about all sports, including the Olympics. Then again, I've not been one for ever caring what others enjoy, I take care of me. =). Well, except for my son, his interests rank a bit higher.

And I'd have to say the ladies US football squad made a full and valid recover, sadly at the expense of the New Zealand team. That was a clinic on fully display!

Really? You must not pay much attention to sports in general. All the major sports news sites have had Olympics-related articles lately.

No I don’t pay much attention but that was kind of my point when I was younger I didn’t pay attention at all either but it was unavoidable.

Could just be my perception, maybe it’s as popular as ever but I just haven’t seen it.

Yeah, it doesn't seem over here to have the usual level of buzz. I mean, there's a bit of a cloud over the whole thing, with protestors outside the opening ceremony, and I think it will be a shadow of its normal self. Some more very bad luck for the Japanese, and it's very sad.

I hope it will still be a venue for some great sports, and athletes that have dedicated their lives to the dream won't feel their moment was denied.

Unfortunately there are already quite a number of athletes who have seen their dream shattered because they tested positive on Covid.

I’d be curious as to how many in the U.S. even care about the Olympics. When I was little I remember seeing it everywhere leading up to and during the events. Signage, fast food restaurants would have cups and stuff, on tv, etc.

Now, well, I didn’t even know it was going on until I saw this thread.

I will give you an Olympic history lesson. In 1984 and 1996 the Olympics were in the United States. Los Angeles and Atlanta to be exact. I see you live in the US so that most likely explains it. Also, McDonald's used to do big promotions, so if you ate a lot of burgers when you were younger, that maybe explains why you were exposed to soo much marketing.

I was at the 1984 Olympics and McDonalds lost their ass on a promotion because the Soviets and their allies didn't attend. My family ate so much free food for a month that I can't even walk into the Golden Arches now :sick:

Back
Top Bottom