Divinity Divine divinity

Divine Divinity and Other games
P

purpleblob

ok, I decided that it piked my interest enough to have a go at it... the thing is, I don't want to buy it just yet. I was thinking of trying out demo first. So last night when I finally got home from uni, I've hunted it down... waiting eagerly for 1.5hrs while it was d/ling. Then I've installed it... and when I played on shortcut..... I GOT DENIED! The error msg poped up and it was in GERMAN! I just got completely owned by it. So my question is... does anyone know where I can d/l a version that I can actually play? I don't want to waste another 400MB of bandwith. My brother and my parents will murder me *hides scared*.

C'mon ... it has action RPG play mechanics, and is one of the best RPG's in recent memory. And it is really cheap. Why fiddle around?!?!

I know I'm out on a limb with this but for me, it's the best hack'n'slash RPG ever. EVAR! For me, the combat works better than Diablo (or any other H&S) plus toss in an excellent character development system, a great loot system, nice alchemy (love making poison), quirky characters and a huge world to explore.

Just get it (but make sure to stick with it past that first dungeon).

That stopped me more than once ... and I agree, perhaps even more. Divine Divinity is definitely in my Top 10 RPG's of all time.

ok, ok :p I will get it. Since I can't find it any stores I will just get on ebay.... :p

Or Amazon.au probably has it. It's surprisingly prevalent here in the states, for such an old and lesser known game. Saw it in Target, of all places, just the other day.

I'll "third" that! This and the rushed/empty end game are probably the only two glaring design flaws. The first dungeon can be pretty "grindy" for a bit, but it opens up after that. Of course, for someone with your tenacity (50 BG2 replays?), it should be a snap! ;)

Or Amazon.au probably has it. It's surprisingly prevalent here in the states, for such an old and lesser known game. Saw it in Target, of all places, just the other day.

I'll "third" that! This and the rushed/empty end game are probably the only two glaring design flaws. The first dungeon can be pretty "grindy" for a bit, but it opens up after that. Of course, for someone with your tenacity (50 BG2 replays?), it should be a snap! ;)

well, I hope first dungeon isnt as detious as the beginning of morrowind...

and yep, 50 bg2 replays... ;)

I could not find Divine Divinity in any store, but a lot of *.au online shops have it for $9.95. (Just a DVD cheap case and disc. Manual lovers are outta luck)

Picked it up last week but have had not much time to play it. I needed to restart when I found you could move stuff around.

Just skip that first dungeon for as long as you can. Go explore everything else first, so you have all the levels you can gain before you try it. Then go in, die, and then try again with a lot of caution. ;)

What about Amazon ?

I'm going to re-emphasise what has already been emphasised - push past that first dungeon. It's ridiculously long (looooooooong) and will give you a false impression of the gameplay. You'll think you are playing some barely adequate Diablo clone and then it suddenly shifts to Ultima VII with dialogue trees and a sense of humour.

RPGWatch/RPGDot staff have a long history with Divinity and after my fellow editors talked about it, I tried the demo asap and thought they were mad. Then after so many other people said it was great, I tried it again and got through that dungeon. Glad I did - and like txa - it makes my Top 10.

Last edited:
I restarted again last night (dammit! I was going to finish Loki first!) ... and am in the midst of that dungeon ... boy this dungeon, while *exhausting* is SO much better than Loki ... oh well, back into the metal case you go :D

Ive done the same thing in regards to the beginning town and the first dungeon (Im assuming everyone is talking about the dungeon with the skeletons ?). By the time I get through the town quests and that dungeon, Ive shevled the game a few times now. I definitely want to get through that part of the game and see where it "opens up" a bit. Aside from the initial grind, I think the game has excellent potential. Ill have to give it another chance.

Towards the end of the catacombs you start to see some of the cool stuff (existential skeletons anyone?) ... and I worked through the 'magic item' thing with El'Gammon in the Blue Boar ... hilarious stuff. "as silent as an embarrassed fish' ... :D

I shelved the game for a long time when I hit that dungeon. It is, as so many are saying, not a good representation of what you will have to do in the rest of the game. Why that one was so huge I will never understand. It made me search the other similar areas for the missing parts of them. :lol:

I dunno ... there are other *huge and exhausting* dungeons in the game ... I think it is that it is disproportionately large for the amount of time spent in-game to that point ... and really punishing.

Just saw this at the local 2nd hand shop for £1.00 - should have picked it up I guess.

Back
Top Bottom