What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 232 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

May 6th, 2019, 20:12
I still need to see the Wasp/Ant-man film and the Avengers one from last year, so I won't be watching Endgame anytime soon. Hopefully they all pop up on HBO within the next five years or so.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

May 7th, 2019, 20:31
Spoiler
--
"Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar, dark and grim? They must be very dim." David Bowie, All the Madmen (1970)

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)

May 7th, 2019, 22:52
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Spoiler
Spoiler

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

May 8th, 2019, 00:09
Spoiler
Spoiler
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)

May 8th, 2019, 00:22
Spoiler
Spoiler – ljksdf
--
I can change almost anything… but I can't change human nature.

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

May 8th, 2019, 00:28
The answer simple.

Is everyone ready here you go.

Spoiler – It'll blow your mind
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Check out my news Thread it's updated weekly.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

May 8th, 2019, 00:33
In the comics, Thanos is in love with Death, personified as a beautiful hooded woman who only he can see, and he's constantly trying to win her heart with ever-grander acts of slaughter.

So if movie Thanos is anything like comics Thanos, he has a bias toward massacre-based approaches to problem solving.
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

May 25th, 2019, 04:04
loading…
Last edited by JDR13; May 25th, 2019 at 10:00.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

May 25th, 2019, 12:52
If Terminator wasn't written on it I'd think it's another Cerfew trailer.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)

May 25th, 2019, 19:55
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
loading…
If it's anything like Genesys( whatever), just kill the damn franchise. Whole thing is convoluted Timetravel mess, at this point ( not that many pull it off, well).
Just make a future war movies..funny thing is, original had way better segments than the modern movies with way better tech

loading…
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

May 25th, 2019, 21:24
Did you watch the trailer? James Cameron is directing. That's one of the reasons I think this might actually be good.

It also completely ignores the events of all the Terminator movies since T2. Those are now considered alternate timelines. This is a direct sequel to T2.

Correction: Tim Miller is the director, Cameron apparently did the story.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

May 25th, 2019, 21:33
I think Cameron is just a producer, which often doesn't mean too much. It's the Deadpool guy that's directing. Definitely keeping expectations in check after the previous drivel.
--
"Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar, dark and grim? They must be very dim." David Bowie, All the Madmen (1970)

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)

May 25th, 2019, 21:35
Already edited my post. Yes, Miller is directing, but the fact that Cameron is directly involved is huge imo. There's no way this turns into another Genisys.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

May 25th, 2019, 21:37
Yeah don't have high expectations of the next Terminator either. Still it might turn out to be a good time waster when it's released on BD, or digitally sometime next year.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Check out my news Thread it's updated weekly.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

May 26th, 2019, 23:17
Saw avenger end game; didn't really care for it. The character development was better than previous movies but there was too much jumping around.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

May 28th, 2019, 14:32
Just finished Akira Kurosawa's Crime Movie box set of four movies. It's all fascinating stuff and, from a technical point of view, everything is excellent. But from an entertainment point of view? There's definitely a case that some are better than others.

All are black and white and all take place in the setting of post second world war defeated Japan where western influence intermingles with traditional culture and where the ruins of desolation intermingles with the new prosperity of rebirth and opportunity. As such, each movie is filled with visual feasts, both post-apocalyptic and optimistic, a sort of Japanese version of Charles Dickens' tales of the Victorian era, such as A Tale of Two Cities or A Christmas Carol.

Drunken Angel (1948) is about an aging doctor who becomes very concerned about a local hoodlum who refuses to follow his instructions on how to help cure himself of tuberculosis. It damages the hoodlum's sense of cool, maaaan. As a result, both are quite unlikeable characters and the film is quite hard to watch with any sense of care. Enjoyable for the visual elements, acting, atmosphere but quite forgettable in terms of viewer sympathy. 3/5

Stray Dog (1949) sees the same actors return for a similarly themed film whereby an aging and wiser detective helps a younger and more foolhardy junior detective hunt down a bad guy. The twist here is that the young detective is obsessed with catching the bad guy because the bad guy is using his gun to commit his crimes, the film starting with our hero being pick-pocketed of his gun, to his great and very Japanses sense of shame and dishonour.

I quite enjoyed this one as it has quite a lot going on and is quite pacy with a good sense of the chase. Where it falls down is where the pacing is stalled for no real reason other than directorial gluttony, such as a whole 8 minute scene of our young detective just prowling the streets with no dialoge and no real reason to follow him in such fine detail. Also, the last half an hour is quite formulaic and a bit frustrating as it conforms to predictable "oh don't do that dumb thing" cliches to extend the run time. 3.5/5

The Bad Sleep Well (1960) is apparently Kurosawa's modern Japanese take on Shakespeare's Hamlet. A large corporation is knee deep in corruption, to the point where they've started bumping off the lower players to protect the leads which trail back to their door. Our hero is out for personal revenge however, being a relative of one of the schmucks who got bumped off, and is carefully planning an equally evil strategy to bring the house of cards crashing down.

A really fascinating and excellent film, full of plot twists, noir, tension and conniving assholes. This time he has given us a likeable hero though, which makes this movie shine out above the previous two. It then screws the pooch at the end though by denying us a satisfying ending. The audience at the time was of the same mindset and the film bombed as a result, which is a shame as the previous two hours was pure genius. 4/5

High and Low (1963) is probably the most "must watch" of the four and is a good culmination of everything Kurosawa had learnt by this point. Here we see the corporate corruption, the moral flexibility of the wealthy, the excellently paced police procedural, the fascinating characters and the whole array of Japanese society.

Just as a wealthy businessman is about to buy up the majority shares in his company, someone kidnaps his son and demands all that money as ransom. The early twist? It turns out they didn't kidnap his son but instead took the chauffeur's son by mistake. Cue some early brilliant dialogue as his dialogue instantly shifts from "OMG, don't call the cops, he said don't call the cops or he'd kill my son!" to "Not my son? Call the cops, call the cops immediately!", almost within the same breath. This kind of quality is maintained for the duration. 5/5

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
+1:

May 28th, 2019, 15:50
I tried watching the most recent Halloween offering the other night, I got through it but for the first thirty or forty minutes I did so with a book in my hand. All in all the first hour was quite boring, and the end was predictable.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 30th, 2019, 01:18
Saw John Wick 3 - it was ok - lots of betrayal and corpses. The guy said he would get up but John was right and he didn't.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

June 2nd, 2019, 21:48
Not sure if already mentioned but the perfectionist (netflix) is a pretty good horror movie. I actually went in expecting something completely different, but I was satisfied with what I got. There are some good twists and turns in there.
Spoiler

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

June 3rd, 2019, 00:36
I watched Bad Times at the El Royale last night, it was quite entertaining. I think I can watch just about any film with Jeff Bridges in it. The style in the direction was very similar to a Tarantino film, in my opinion.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread