HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted dev update #17 for Solasta: Crown of the Magister:

Dev Update #17 - Everybody Loves Magic Items

Hey there folks,

We've spent a lot of time on our Combat Video Dev Diary, so this week's Dev Update will be a little bit lighter than usual. Fun fact, around the same time last year we were hard at work to get our first version of the Ruins of Telema ready for GenCon 2019. Back then, we were both eager... and anxious - it was the first time Solasta would be playable by anyone unrelated to the project. Would people come to play it? Would they like it? Did we make the right choice coming to GenCon - an event primarily centered around tabletop - with our video game?

Thankfully, everything went fantastic. Tabletop players flocked to our game stations (we only had two available!) and queues started to form - we even had a couple of fans arriving before us in the morning to get a chance at playing the demo. If you're curious, we did a small recap with pictures here.

Anyway, back to today's Dev Update. But before that...

Do I Roll One or Two Dice?
Let's start by showing off one of the most requested feature during the Steam Summer Festival: A tooltip telling you why you have advantage / disadvantage (or when they cancel out). Many of you highlighted the fact that it wasn't always obvious why you were rolling with advantage or disadvantage (most often the latter), and thus couldn't adapt your next turn to avoid running into the same problem. Well, we just implemented a first version to help you with that (WIP as usual)!

[...]
More information.

This game is looking very good, and I feel like I'm repeating myself with every update.

They make public statements so often though, that it feels like they just talk about the game and don't actually work on it.

Hope to get a release date that we can work with soon.

I find the regular updates to be a big positive. Even if I don't read all of them, having someone taking the time to make these posts frequently gives me the impression that they have their act together, and the project is healthy. When we don't hear anything for 18 months, then someone pops up to say they've been too busy making the game to do updates, I always think that looks Mickey Mouse.

I'm not going to tell anyone not to like it, but did you play the combat demo? I found the verticality "feature" made the game really unfun to play. Trying to see where you're going and seeing what you're fighting, clipping basically, made it really awkward and distracting to do literally anything.

I'm not going to tell anyone not to like it, but did you play the combat demo? I found the verticality "feature" made the game really unfun to play. Trying to see where you're going and seeing what you're fighting, clipping basically, made it really awkward and distracting to do literally anything.

I thought it was pretty neat...now, you are right clipping could make it less fun.

I liked the demo and backed after that. Although, I hope they don't overdo it with the verticality. In the demo it was sometimes a bit too much where the path from point A to point B was loooong and winding.

I agree, didn't enjoy the demo for that very reason. I think devs mentioned the demo was used to test out verticality so the actual game map will feature more diverse area designs (flat and open areas etc) and will be better to navigate. My gripe is the lack of class variety (only 6 classes and no multiclassing).

Back
Top Bottom