Tales of Vesperia - Review @ Nintendowire

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Nintendowire has reviewed the PC-remake of Tales of Vesperia:

Review: Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition

Video game re-releases are happening all the time these days, and while some bring back lost gems and others add new and exciting features, other times they right wrongs. Tales of Vesperia released back in 2008 exclusively for the XBox 360, serving as one of the most notable releases for the system in Japan, to the point of moving units singlehandedly. Shortly after in Japan, it was repackaged with new and expanded content on the PlayStation 3, and yet the West got nothing. Other than occasional whispers and rumors, Vesperia getting a second wind seemed to be a lost cause and fated to fade away into obscurity, save within its fanbase.

Yeah, not that one.

E3 last year finally brought the game back to the public eye, and best of all, we found out that content was added and the game would be a multiplatform release. Now here I am, a Tales of fan through and through, able to say that the wait (no matter how unnecessary) was worth it. If you've ever been curious about the series or wanted to capture some of that Symphonia magic again, Vesperia won't disappoint.

[...]

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition stands as a fitting celebration of this ten year-old gem of a game, bringing a fan favorite back with more content than ever. Thanks to the game's stellar cast of playable characters and addicting, thoroughly enjoyable battle system, it stands as not just a fantastic example of its series, but of its genre. Anyone who enjoys JRPGs owes it to themselves to see what the big deal is about with this release, and as long as you can handle some outdated features and minor hardware limitations, you'll be glad you joined this guild.

Score: 8.5/10

Positive:

• Revives a fan favorite entry in the series with new content and enhancements
  • A likable cast of characters, all a joy to learn about and play as in their own ways
  • Great take on one of the most enjoyable and active battle systems in all of JRPGs
  • Blah, blah ,blah, Tidal Wave

Negative:

• Game shows its age at times, lacking some of the user-friendly advancements of later entries
More information.

I really enjoyed Symphonia, so if this game is more like that one, I'll likely pick it up at some point. I can easily overlook some not-so-user-friendly advancements for a product that has stellar game play.

I'm playing this right now and the GUI is okay. The story and characters are fun. Even better than Zestiria and Berseria.

All I can say from what I've seen is that it's story ain't dark and trolly like Berseria. Which means I'll skippit - it's Berseria tragic stories and utterly crazy characters that redeemed it's autoresolving mushroomy combat and I'm not seeing that here.

Vesperia features some crazy characters as well. The combat is a bit more controllable than in Beseria, but only a bit :)

I'm using kb/m controls - you have to learn them, but the game explains them well and often the key-options to press are shown with key-icons.

I didn't care for the combat in Zestiria or Berseria at all, Symphonia was much more to my liking. Even if this one isn't strictly like Symphonia, I'll likely check it out at some point just because I do enjoy their games.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/spec...a-definitive-edition-reduces-microstuttering/
this initial release fixes some minor microstuttering issues that players have been experiencing with the PC version.
Moreover, the Special K mod for Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition allows gamers to disable the Depth of Field, Bloom and Blur effects (for which there aren’t any in-game options to enable/disable).
The mod requires Visual C++ 2017 runtime in order to run and those interested can download it from here. You can install it by extracting the file to your game’s install directory (steamapps\common\Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition) and you can open its config menu by pressing “Ctrl + Shift + Backspace”.
Stutters stutters everywhere.
And lack of disable stupid consoley blur.

Back
Top Bottom