Elemental: War of Magic - Almost Done, Preview @ Joystiq

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Brad Wardell has kicked up a short journal entry on Elemental saying they are wrapping up the Gold version and moving on to the Day 0 patch:
We’re wrapping up work on the gold version of Elemental. Then it’s on to the day 0 version which is largely about polish, balance and tweaking.
...and Joystiq has a new preview:
Elemental is involving, to say the least. There are five different basic resources to collect (and a host of secondary resources that affect those), each character has an in-game Magic-style card with six D&D-style stats and multiple spellbooks to build up, and cities and units create even more number relationships to deal with. Combat takes place on a completely different tactical screen, where you control individual units, each with their own spells and abilities. Every unit can be named separately, be given its own armor and weapons, and you can recruit various named heroes wandering around the game's landscape, and either use them to complete quests, build your own empire, or fight against any of the game's other ten factions (five of Men, five of a group called the Fallen, though as Wardell says, "there are no Elves and Dwarves in this game").
More information.

Anyone played the beta ?

I wonder if it be worth purchasing ?

Also. Do you think there will be a demo ?

It's been my impression from the beta testers, that the game is nowhere near a finished state.

I guess Stardock has a completely different build internally.

It seem to be the game is in a rush and dont get polished enough.They even dont decide how the tactical combat should work one month ago.

Thats very sad to hear :(

From what i seen so far it has such potential , especially with mods

Beta 4 (Build 0.98) has problems with ATI Video Cards, There is a huge memory leak that only allows you to play for a few turns. Luckily I was using a Nvidia card and didn't have the problem.
The Beta 4 was far more stable that earlier builds, it's a fairly playable right now though there are major optimizations in the 0 day release according to Brad.

I pre-paid for it a long time ago and have no regrets, it's like Civ it has that just 1 more turn feel to it. Start playing and then wonder where the hours went.

Last edited:
It's been my impression from the beta testers, that the game is nowhere near a finished state.

I guess Stardock has a completely different build internally.

Thats not true, and yes I am beta testing it.

Have a look at this thread...what we didn't get was final art assets and stuff like that which is really a normal thing when developing a game.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/390719

Thats not true, and yes I am beta testing it.

Have a look at this thread…what we didn't get was final art assets and stuff like that which is really a normal thing when developing a game.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/390719

What isn't true? That several beta testers have expressed they don't feel it's ready?

Then I must have been dreaming, reading the QT3 thread.

I'm not a beta tester, so I wouldn't know - and if you think it's all ready, that's something.

I'll wait until it's released, before I make any kind of judgment call.

I'm quite interested in this game, so I'd love for it to be something like MoM - though I remain extremely sceptical.

Based on my experience with the beta, and from following the development it's probably more polished already than a great majority of AAA titles that come out nowadays...

Keep in mind that while tactical combats may only have been relatively recently released to us, it is my understanding they have been testing it internally for much longer.

As for them having different builds than we do, it is indeed the case, they have mentionned so a few times. The game is now "Gold" but they are working on updates and what not still for day 0.

Can't say I'm really worried personally, maybe i'm optimistic, but I'm quite confident with stardock and with what i've seen and tested.

Not to mention that modding can change everything. Add more races , spell mastery, weapons. Change stats.... whatever

Got an advertisement e-mail by Stardock this night saying that the release will be August 24th.

I've been following this game for a long time. I think at release it will be fully playable, but I expect it to come to its full potential about 1 to 3 months after release. This is not an RPG with a story that you play once and that's it. It's more like Civilization or Master of Magic, a game that you'll have in your hard drive for years, so that's perfectly ok. Also fully moddable. Definitely a keeper.

I've been keeping an eye on this one because I loved MoM. I haven't pre-ordered though, something's still turning me off, the graphics perhaps, I don't really care for the art style.

I'm sure I'll buy it if the reviews are good though, if for no other reason that to support Stardock, one of the few "good guy" developers/publishers remaining.

Just read Wardell's explanation of their multiplayer implementation.

They just lost 5-6 sales…. Oh well.

One day, a decent MoM successor with proper multiplayer will be made.

Back
Top Bottom