Anthem - Overhaul

rest in peace. sad. mechanically it was decent. flying was great. just too grindy, and it didn't need to be live service game. and the story was generic af. but other than that, it's sad that so much work went down the drain. i hope they can reuse the tech.

biowar wasn't bioware a long time ago. now it's even less. if that's possible.

Luckily they keep the 'service' going for a while.

(maybe another year? :lol:)

I think these big corporations need to learn that buying studios, then sticking the corporate oar in and creating designed-by-committee product that chases the current trend, is a very poor recipe for making successful games.

I believe Sony has a pretty good reputation in that regard - they buy talented studios, and to a large degree leave them be, and trust them to simply produce good games that will benefit their platform. I think that's the way to do it.

Yep looks like EA killed Anthem. Not surprised really it was a mess since it launched.

I believe Sony has a pretty good reputation in that regard - they buy talented studios, and to a large degree leave them be, and trust them to simply produce good games that will benefit their platform. I think that's the way to do it.

Let's hope that Microsoft follows as it seems from the information we have been given lately. It's not a shame to ditch old ways. The corporations will just grow. I just wish they understood that thinking about the gamer's benefit is good for the business. Giving studios freedom to produce their art (within certain resource-bound limits) should be a no-brainer.

Perhaps EA also gave birth to Anthem?
In a sense EA did. There money at least.:p

Though in all honestly BioWare should have never made the game. By that I mean it should have been the BioWare Austin branch as they specialize in online games.

The original studios strength lies in cinematic story focused SP RPG games.

That'll make time for him to work on Dragon Age :)
Well Anthem was the brain child of Casey Hudson who was also the one responsible for the Mass Effect series. No wonder he left the studio for the second time last year.

I also recall that Mark Darrah the man behind Dragon Age left as well with him. In fact it wasn't just those two as other veterans are gone in the last five years as well.

To bad we never get the real reasons why big shots leave or get fired.

I know nothing but dare to guess anyway that Bioware would have never started the Anthem endeavor without EA or other giant giving them the resources. As you say, they used to be good at SP RPG games. Lately, everything they touched has turned to shit. Let's hope that trend will change. Never too many studios producing good RPGs.

Well we all know what Electronic Arts thinks about Single-player games.:mad:

Why EA Is Wrong About Singleplayer Games

One of the main reasons why they lost exclusive rites to the Star Wars IP as well.

Yeah, that entire discussion is so polarized. One can make a game that is both a good single-player and multiplayer experience, given that one has the resources for it. Something along the lines Larian is going with BG3. A good RPG is a good RPG. Doesn't matter if you enjoy it alone or with a friend - and being able to choose would just be a benefit for us gamers.

That does not imply that everyone should make co-op in their games. Just saying that these things can be combined. An issue in many multiplayer games is that the story, atmosphere, and narrative are left in the back seat. The focus seems to be on the mechanics, the appearance of your character, and loot boxes.

Good riddance to a crap game. I'm not "sad" at all that Anthem failed, more like pleased. It was a crap concept and dishonestly marketed to begin with. They put out a trailer early to promote the game that was basically fake and very misleading in how the game would play, I guess its been largely forgotten by now. But anyway, hopefully more crap MMO games will follow suit.

I wonder how much money they have to lose before they realize that most of us are after good games and stories rather than loot-riddled grind.

Yeah, that entire discussion is so polarized. One can make a game that is both a good single-player and multiplayer experience, given that one has the resources for it. Something along the lines Larian is going with BG3. A good RPG is a good RPG. Doesn't matter if you enjoy it alone or with a friend - and being able to choose would just be a benefit for us gamers.

That does not imply that everyone should make co-op in their games. Just saying that these things can be combined. An issue in many multiplayer games is that the story, atmosphere, and narrative are left in the back seat. The focus seems to be on the mechanics, the appearance of your character, and loot boxes.
Nah keep MP or Co-op away from my RPGs. It's rarely done right in my experience and that includes Larian's RPGs. That's just my personal experience it differs with others.
I wonder how much money they have to lose before they realize that most of us are after good games and stories rather than loot-riddled grind.
100 billion or more as other similar games are making bank. Just remember for every Destiny clone there are many that fail as well. Look at Godfall for one bad example.

Lets not get into Diablo III or Path of Exile that formula is a big success.

Good riddance to a crap game. I'm not "sad" at all that Anthem failed, more like pleased. It was a crap concept and dishonestly marketed to begin with. They put out a trailer early to promote the game that was basically fake and very misleading in how the game would play, I guess its been largely forgotten by now. But anyway, hopefully more crap MMO games will follow suit.
Yeah I remember all the articles and videos bout how those of us who complain are wrong, and labeled us as haters. The games sub-reddit was full of loyalist fools as well.

Yet my first opinion about this game proved true.:(

Yea I prefer games focus on one or the other. It always takes resources to do anything in a game and I would rather all those resources be focused on a core experience - either make it around SRPG or make it around MMO.

Even in BG3 you can see the impact as the NPC's you talk to will start over from scratch each time you talk to them with someone different.

Back
Top Bottom