BioWare - A Definitive History of Bioware's Breakout Game

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Computer Gaming Yesterday posted a video on BioWare's debuts and Baldur's Gate, a few months ago. This documentary is based on a thorough research and on a number of documents and videos that are detailed and linked in the show notes.

Granted, there have been numerous videos and articles on the subject, but if you are interested in the early history of this company, this is one of the most accurate.

How Baldur's Gate Saved Western RPGs: A Definitive History of Bioware's Breakout Game

More information.

Yeah not going to watch. Nothing against the news-post Redglyph but it just saddens me how far BioWare has fallen since then. Shame really I used io love their games.:(

I still enjoy Bioware's single-player games, including Andromeda, but I won't touch Anthem.

This was a pretty good video, albeit not really much new for those of us who were there but still at least a walk down memory lane.

I still enjoy Bioware's single-player games, including Andromeda, but I won't touch Anthem.
Only good thing that came about from Anthem is it forced EA/BioWare to reconsider making SP RPGs again. Seriously it's been years since we got a new BioWare RPG.

I'm not counting the Mass Effect Remasters that was just graphic and engine updates.

Sunday Retro

To be sure, this one is probably not for everyone. It's more about their early history and how things cobbled together, it's less about an analysis of the games.

I'll call it Sunday Retro ;)

I also found this particular video interesting because there were a few other similar ones tackling BioWare's early history but they got their facts wrong. Not that it's hugely important 25 years later, but this guy really did his homework, it's quite impressive.

Yeah not going to watch. Nothing against the news-post Redglyph but it just saddens me how far BioWare has fallen since then. Shame really I used io love their games.:(
No worries Couch :) I'm sad too that they've "lost their way", I guess nothing lasts forever. At least those talented people disseminated and started or helped other companies.

This was a pretty good video, albeit not really much new for those of us who were there but still at least a walk down memory lane.
I wasn't following them at the beginning either, only started with NWN years later. That's why I was wondering how it all happened.

I prefer SP games too, and preferably when they're creative. So their big MMOs and AAA games were not my favourites, but ME was still pleasant to play back then. :)

"Our rules are very strict!"
:) I'll always remember the guard captain / chief trainer in the first city. Also the mentor/mage of the protagonist:
"Listen to me carefully! If we get separated.."
Ranger on the title pic of this article to his hamster, before battle:
Go for the eyes Boo, Go for the eyes!!
Those good times are gone and will never come back now!

Bioware did a Breakout clone ???

Ranger on the title pic of this article to his hamster, before battle:

Those good times are gone and will never come back now!

Have you already spotted Binsk and Moo in the Dungeon of Naheulbeuk ? ;)

This was a very good history of the fabled all time great rpg Baldur's Gate.

Yea, so the company bioware got acquired, and its a shell of its former self. So what, the rich history of the making of the classic rpg, Baldur's Gate, remains.

Think of it like in other artistic fields, some music bands only ever have one or two "big" hits or albums, or a writer may only have one book that is a masterpiece created in their lifetime. This is often how things go in creative pursuits.

Its rare to have a genius like a Mozart or Beethoven, or Van Gogh, (or, taking music in the more modern era, a Pink Floyd) who can crank out dozens of hits or masterpieces over a long time period.

It's sad that a nice thorough history of the game won't generate enough clicks so they have to add the terrible "savior of western RPGs" thing.

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

They did that? :lol: This game sounds like a lot of fun.
I may be tempted to buy it this winter when sales are on (if I have the time to play it).

It's hilarious ! :lol:
I rarely had so much fun with a game within the last 10 year ! ;)

Sadly, this Bioware no longer exists anymore. We all have great memories though, and it's nice to revisit them.

I pretty much agree with this.

However, I give a big amount of attention to any developer which I perceive tries to create the types of great games Bioware have created, and that includes the present incarnation of Bioware. That doesn't mean I will automatically like Mass Effect 4 or Dragon Age 4, but considering the types of games they will likely be it is likely that I will enjoy them.

Only good thing that came about from Anthem is it forced EA/BioWare to reconsider making SP RPGs again. Seriously it's been years since we got a new BioWare RPG.

I'm not counting the Mass Effect Remasters that was just graphic and engine updates.

Yes, true, good silver lining, and maybe multi-player games Anthem and Fallout 76 help other companies in addition to EA see that creating great single-player games is the way to go, with single-player great and successful game Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order furthering that influence.

They did that? :lol: This game sounds like a lot of fun.
I may be tempted to buy it this winter when sales are on (if I have the time to play it).
Go ahead I recommend it as it parodies almost every trope in RPGs.:biggrin:

Yes, true, good silver lining, and maybe multi-player games Anthem and Fallout 76 help other companies in addition to EA see that creating great single-player games is the way to go, with single-player great and successful game Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order furthering that influence.
Fallen Jedi was a great game I just don't like the platform mechanics. As for BioWare a new Dragon Age and Mass Effect is in development they just wont talk about them.

I was sure Dragon Age 4 would have been at Gamescom but it wasn't.:(

The thing I like about this video is it shows the actual original version. Most of these look back videos just use the 'enhanced' edition to show the game.

The thing I like about this video is it shows the actual original version. Most of these look back videos just use the 'enhanced' edition to show the game.
True but remember most modern/new players only played the EE versions.

Still I agree about using the older version in context of the video.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom