Quantcast
What cRPGs to look forward to? - Page 5 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » What cRPGs to look forward to?

Default What cRPGs to look forward to?

May 21st, 2017, 18:16
Originally Posted by fadedc View Post
No your right, it's definitely gotten worse since you left. Most of them just troll and don't engage in prolonged discussion, so it's not a big deal and doesn't disrupt most threads. But it's still annoying.
It doesn't really bother me that much, personally, but if it's making others, like Dasale, feel compelled to respond in kind - then it's not a great thing.
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

NewDArt's Avatar
SasqWatch

#81

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,813

Default 

May 21st, 2017, 23:45
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
It doesn't really bother me that much, personally, but if it's making others, like Dasale, feel compelled to respond in kind - then it's not a great thing.
Well I've seen Dasale respond similarly when people were being perfectly polite to him, so I'm not sure he can blame his behavior on others. I think a bigger problem is more that when a few people start posting a certain way, it shows others that they can get away with it.
fadedc is offline

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

#82

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,455
+1:

Default 

May 22nd, 2017, 04:08
Adding Low Magic Age to my list
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston
luj1 is offline

luj1

luj1's Avatar
SasqWatch

#83

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,381

Default 

May 22nd, 2017, 04:10
Originally Posted by beldurax View Post
Don't sweat it, luj1 -- AoD is pure and utter shit
but… but… its a good interactive CYOA novel with some humorous writing too
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston
luj1 is offline

luj1

luj1's Avatar
SasqWatch

#84

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,381

Default 

May 22nd, 2017, 09:35
Originally Posted by fadedc View Post
Well I've seen Dasale respond similarly when people were being perfectly polite to him, so I'm not sure he can blame his behavior on others. I think a bigger problem is more that when a few people start posting a certain way, it shows others that they can get away with it.
Oh, I would never blame others for that. But it's the kind of thing that could potentially have a negative long-term impact on the Watch environment.

Not that there's much to do about it. I mean, heavy moderation is the worst possible option.
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

NewDArt's Avatar
SasqWatch

#85

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,813

Default 

May 22nd, 2017, 11:20
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
Oh, I would never blame others for that. But it's the kind of thing that could potentially have a negative long-term impact on the Watch environment.

Not that there's much to do about it. I mean, heavy moderation is the worst possible option.
I think ignoring those people is the best option but its hard to do sometimes! I think, If you ignore them they will get bored and go away.
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#86

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 3,190

Default 

May 22nd, 2017, 11:24
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I think ignoring those people is the best option but its hard to do sometimes! I think, If you ignore them they will get bored and go away.
My ignore list has grown quite a bit of late

Which is sad, because I think some good could come from exchanging with these guys - it's just that i don't have the patience for the same cyclical "you're so dumb, I'm so cool" routine over and over.
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

NewDArt's Avatar
SasqWatch

#87

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,813

Default 

May 22nd, 2017, 11:37
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
My ignore list has grown quite a bit of late

Which is sad, because I think some good could come from exchanging with these guys - it's just that i don't have the patience for the same cyclical "you're so dumb, I'm so cool" routine over and over.
I know what you mean. Sometimes I see real insight coming across then the next minute its back to troll land. I wonder if more than one person is using the same account!
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#88

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 3,190

Default 

May 22nd, 2017, 11:41
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I know what you mean. Sometimes I see real insight coming across then the next minute its back to troll land. I wonder if more than one person is using the same account!
Unfortunately, it's common behavior on most gaming forums I know. But the Watch used to be different, which is part of the reason I really liked it.
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

NewDArt's Avatar
SasqWatch

#89

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,813

Default 

May 22nd, 2017, 13:38
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
But the Watch used to be different, which is part of the reason I really liked it.
One small piece of advice. Often when you come to the realisation that something has changed, it is in fact often not because that thing has changed, but you yourself have changed. This is more likely to be true when you think a whole societal group has changed. The entire watch didn't change, you did I'm not saying that change is a bad thing though.

The same analogy can be used in terms of gaming. If you don't find there are decent cRPG games being released these days i.e. WL2, PoE, Divinity: Original Sin, Torment, Tyranny etc then it is because your tastes have changed/matured. Personally I find this new breed of cRPG just as good as the classics that were released back in the late nineties and early 2000's but then again I haven't changed at all
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.
bjon045 is offline

bjon045

bjon045's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#90

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sigil
Posts: 1,270

Default 

May 22nd, 2017, 13:44
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
One small piece of advice. Often when you come to the realisation that something has changed, it is in fact often not because that thing has changed, but you yourself have changed. This is more likely to be true when you think a whole societal group has changed. The entire watch didn't change, you did I'm not saying that change is a bad thing though.
I see your point, but that's not really what I'm saying. I didn't say the entire "societal group" has changed. I'm saying we have more people of a certain profile and with certain behavior than we used to.

It doesn't really relate to myself. I mean, I've probably changed in some ways - as have we all - but I still retain the ability to recognise patterns in people
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

NewDArt's Avatar
SasqWatch

#91

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,813

Default 

May 22nd, 2017, 13:54
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
I'm saying we have more people of a certain profile and with certain behavior than we used to.
Agreed, we probably do have more. But is that just because we have a larger user base and people with the traits you describe are more likely to voice their opinion or because of some reason more nefarious? I blame codex refugees
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.
bjon045 is offline

bjon045

bjon045's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#92

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sigil
Posts: 1,270

Default 

May 22nd, 2017, 13:58
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
Agreed, we probably do have more. But is that just because we have a larger user base and people with the traits you describe are more likely to voice their opinion or because of some reason more nefarious? I blame codex refugees
I'm not sure it has to do with a larger user base, or that's not my take on it. Can't point to any specific reason except that we just happen to have had a bunch of negative nancys join lately.
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

NewDArt's Avatar
SasqWatch

#93

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,813

Default 

May 22nd, 2017, 15:03
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
I'm not sure it has to do with a larger user base, or that's not my take on it. Can't point to any specific reason except that we just happen to have had a bunch of negative nancys join lately.
I am not sure our user base has grown but I think some positive pollys have stopped posting recently!
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#94

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 3,190

Default 

May 22nd, 2017, 15:42
True about everything is peachy posters, Fluent is gone for example (although per my Steam's friendlist seems he's active there). Also mainly positives, Gorath and txa are still here, but rarely post, etc.

True also about codex escapees, but I generally like it's happening. They grew up and cannot be easily entertained just by reading "dick" or something. Sure, some skills they carry over, but it's still trolling on amateur level.

However…
RPGwatch is a living site. People come and go, people change, people tend to have more or less time for discussion about different stuff. In a sort of chaos, one detects patterns only if they're actively searching for it. It's basically 4leaf clover case, sometimes rare, sometimes a whole bunch of those are found at the same spot. But definelty not in the same amount till eternity. Noticable only if you care about it.
What surprises me is at the same time one can't see patterns in mundane puzzles like this:
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#95

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,033

Default 

May 22nd, 2017, 18:41
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I am not sure our user base has grown but I think some positive pollys have stopped posting recently!
Well, to be honest I find the perhaps overly optimistic posters are almost as bad as the negative trolls. I don't mind if some people love a certain game and posts positive about it, but when someone loves ALL games their opinion kind of loses meaning to me. (And it kind of rubs me the wrong way, although I admit that's me being cynical and perhaps even a bit jealous…)

I agree with Dart assessment that the forum might have shifted slightly toward a less…articulate criticism, but that's only because of a few newer posters who like to express themselves the codex way. I can't really say it's a trend.

I've always liked the fact that on the Watch we love and hate just as much as they do on the Codex, but without resorting to calling each other names…or at least the names are a bit more politically correct and less stereotype.
Last edited by tomasp3n; May 22nd, 2017 at 19:57.
tomasp3n is offline

tomasp3n

tomasp3n's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#96

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,647

Default 

May 22nd, 2017, 18:42
Dart, I believe you've managed to derail this thread too…
tomasp3n is offline

tomasp3n

tomasp3n's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#97

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,647

Default 

May 22nd, 2017, 18:46
Originally Posted by tomasp3n View Post
Dart, I believe you've managed to derail this thread too…
It's a gift
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

NewDArt's Avatar
SasqWatch

#98

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,813
+1:

Default 

May 24th, 2017, 01:40
Adding Demons Age and Low Magic Age to my maybe list. Nice to see some more CRPGs coming out using OGL.
--
Currently Playing: Expeditions: Viking
, NWN
daveyd is offline

daveyd

daveyd's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#99

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 1,234
+1:

Default 

June 4th, 2017, 12:44
Not sure if anyone's mentioned it but I found a new game coming out 2018, being developed by some of the ex employees of Almost Human (Grimrock) looks interesting.
http://druidstone-game.com/media.
skally_wag is offline

skally_wag

skally_wag's Avatar
Watcher

#100

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 22
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » What cRPGs to look forward to?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:50.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch