Bard's Tale I - The Classics Return

I also had to redo my survey.

But the game looks and sounds great. Haven't played for long, but it seems they did a really nice job.

Also, a bonus for me and perhaps no one else, it plays really nicely on a touchscreen with just your hands. To move, just tap the left and right edges of the view window to turn and top and bottom for forward and back. Everything else on the screen can be tapped, and you even get the tooltips by dragging your finger onto items and removing it to select. Very nice.

Sounds like it could play well on a phone.

The price seems reasonable to me. That's a dollar less per game than the full price charged at GOG. The devs for these put in a lot more work than many games on GOG, for which someone simply writes a DOSBox shell.

The Bards Tale Trilogy plays great. I think it would be great if Krome got to remake the gold box games as they seem to know what they are doing.

I believe they're also doing the Wasteland 1 remaster. That's another one I'm looking forward to.

I believe they're also doing the Wasteland 1 remaster. That's another one I'm looking forward to.

Ugh - I have no idea why anyone <cough> @Corwin; </cough> could have liked that game. I played the thing when it was new and it miles behind every other U3 clone. Who cares if it was post-apoc - so was Gamma World.

Don't forget to adjust for inflation :)

Technically, isn't that deflation :)

Ugh - I have no idea why anyone <cough> @Corwin; </cough> could have liked that game. I played the thing when it was new and it miles behind every other U3 clone. Who cares if it was post-apoc - so was Gamma World.

I'm more interested in playing it for the historical perspective since it seems to have had a significant influence on the genre. I hear it's a fairly short game anyways.

OH! This is my favorite part of the game:

fHR2JAT.png

I don't know about the original Wasteland, but Dragon Wars was excellent really and could of course benefit and be totally worth of a remaster...

I loved the original Wasteland. To this day it is the only game I have ever played where you fight gun totting priests and shotgun shooting nuns. Also, was the first game I got a STD from a hooker. Good times.

I simply couldn't resist, I fired up the Bard's Tale last night, rolled up some guys and wandered around town until I got everyone up to level three. Now I just need to go complete my Trails in the Sky replay and then I can return to the glory of the bard and his buddies!!

I'm more interested in playing it for the historical perspective since it seems to have had a significant influence on the genre. I hear it's a fairly short game anyways.

It was influential on Fallout - it even said so on the original box. After that, I think most people look at FO as their source for post-apoc. I mean, Autoduel has a pretty good slant on Post-Apoc but no one looks to that for inspiration anymore.

I keep hoping Autoduel will show up on great old games. It will likely never happen, just like the Buck Rogers game seems destined for the great dirt nap.

On Bard's Tale I am reading the current mode is too easy. One of the iconic fights where the party takes on something like 884 berserkers is not in the current version.

The hardcode version will remove the automap, the multiple saves, and restore some of the more insane fights among other things when its released.

What about having all of that and still doing multiple saves? People did that back in the day by backing up their save games onto another disk.

On Bard's Tale I am reading the current mode is too easy. One of the iconic fights where the party takes on something like 884 berserkers is not in the current version.

The hardcode version will remove the automap, the multiple saves, and restore some of the more insane fights among other things when its released.

What about having all of that and still doing multiple saves? People did that back in the day by backing up their save games onto another disk.

Is it this battle?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/843260/discussions/0/1734336452552589534/

It's not that it isn't there, it's just that they only spawn once.

I can't believe people are complaining about that though. I mean, I know Bard's Tale was hardcore and all, but I can't imagine getting much enjoyment out of repeatedly fighting 396 barbarians. :)

86 reviews on Steam so far and 84 of them are positive. I'm probably going to wait a few months before getting into it myself. The devs are already talking about tweaking the balance in the next patch.

You would just turn up the scroll speed to 10 and have your mages cast spells that hit all groups. Like Mangar's mind blast I think it was.

It was like fighting the Cuisinarts in Might&Magic II.

It would get boring and could make the game too easy so I didn't do it on all my play throughs.

Is it this battle?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/843260/discussions/0/1734336452552589534/

It's not that it isn't there, it's just that they only spawn once.

I can't believe people are complaining about that though. I mean, I know Bard's Tale was hardcore and all, but I can't imagine getting much enjoyment out of repeatedly fighting 396 barbarians. :)

86 reviews on Steam so far and 84 of them are positive. I'm probably going to wait a few months before getting into it myself. The devs are already talking about tweaking the balance in the next patch.

You would just turn up the scroll speed to 10 and have your mages cast spells that hit all groups. Like Mangar's mind blast I think it was.

It was like fighting the Cuisinarts in Might&Magic II.

It would get boring and could make the game too easy so I didn't do it on all my play throughs.

Ahh, so you could spam it? I never got far in BT back in the day.

There was a castle in Skara Brae you could never enter that appeared to be the game's boss. Then some of my buddies worked out that you could technically enter it by going through a dungeon and then up to the area via a top exit. There you encountered the toughest battle of the entire game - but no real story or real boss to it. There was no understanding of a "Werdna" or a final cut scene to tell you you've completed the game.

So I broke down and made a party and got in a few fights so far. I love it so far. Can't remember if you need a thief in this game. I know you get a spell trapzap so going to try it without a thief.

Party:
Warrior
Paladin
Hunter
Bard
Magician
Conjurer

I left a spot open for summons and monsters that join. I forgot about that :)

Back
Top Bottom