What are you reading?

Clark Ashton Smith's Collected Hyperborea Stories
… and they are just wonderful.

I totally agree. I have all of 1970's Panther paperback reprints of Clark Ashton Smith's fiction (around 9 paperbacks IIRC). A couple are a bit tatty now, but they're prized possessions.
I love Lovecraft, but Smith is definitely the better writer.

This morning I finished the second novel in the Warlord Chronicles, Enemy of God, by Bernard Cornwell. These are the preferred Autherian tales for me, I'm a big fan of Cornwell's way of telling a tale, and have yet to read a book of his that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. Later today or tomorrow I'll pick up the final book in that series, Excalibur.

Just finished the Priest/Tex run of Black Panther from the '90s. Dynamic and irreverent.
Priest "The monologues were often outrageous,..., the intent is to be more a social observer and deconstructionist." It came in the same period as Deadpool and Carnage, and unfortunately represents a a Marvel that we are unlikely to see again under Disney.
"Race IS funny. Black people are hilarious. Look at Don King's hair. Lionel Ritchies's career."

I completed the third and final book in the Warlord Chronicles, Excalibur. It was a complete joy to re-read this series, I'd given my books away some years ago so hadn't revisited these books in over twenty years. If you're a fan of Cornwell, and have even an inkling as to how he might tell the Autherian story, do yourself a favour and check these books out.

Aristotle : Poetics

Pushing the topic a bit:
From Hell the comicbook.
Dear Lord in Heaven / Satan in Hell (mark one of your preference), this is a masterpiece.
Up next is: V for Vendetta.

I haven't owned this series of books since I moved many years ago, but recently I re-acquired the books of the Lost Regiment, by William Forstchen. Over the past three days, I whipped through book one, Rally Cry, and what joy it was to reread a book I've not read in so many years! I first started reading this series in the early nineties, and read them religiously on a yearly basis. Basically, the plot is a Union vessel on its way south with a full regiment plus supplies is sucked into another world, and must adapt to this new environment. Next up for me, book two!

Three archaeology magazines, one about Gladiators, one about Fortifications and one about Ancient Shamanism (stone ages and older).

Last night I completed Union Forever, book two in the Lost Regiment series. The character development is superb, as is the logical progression of technology, assuming a sustained war with horrific opponents. This morning I picked up book three, Terrible Swift Sword, and I'm already almost one hundred pages in!

Just started the new book from Joe Abercrombie, "a little hatred". It's set in the first law trilogy universe and stays true to the level that the author usually writes.

Just started the new book from Joe Abercrombie, "a little hatred". It's set in the first law trilogy universe and stays true to the level that the author usually writes.
That book is high on my priority list. Really looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

I love the first three novels in the First Law series, but haven't checked out any of the other as of yet.

There are three more in this universe. All top quality readings and since you liked the trilogy you will like them equally .Though, no Glokta which is a minus.
The new one is the first of a new trilogy set 30 years after the ending of the first trilogy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information, I'll be sure to check out the next three books. Too bad about no Glokta, he's quite the memorable character.
Don't worry, the next three books have some pretty memorable characters. They are fairly stand-alone, but there are significant connections, so reading them in order of publication will give the most reward. There'll be a a whew "is that..." moments that will fly over your head otherwise.

I'd even recommend the "YA" trilogy he did. Not quite as "grimdark", but still fairly grim... and dark.:p

I polished off Terrible Swift Sword this morning, and chugged right on to the fourth novel, Fateful Lightning. Now that the human defenders have been chased from their base, they must fight a constant battle while withdrawing to a new home that they can better defend. Alternative science fiction at its' very best!

I'm listening to (while reading along) The Infernal City, an Elder Scrolls novel. Started off a bit dry but it's really gotten interesting in the 2nd half. Recommended if you are a fan of the lore, I'm enjoying it.

Two hours ago I completed the fourth novel in the Lost Regiment series, Fateful Lightning. This books sees a semi-conclusion to two of the opponents that the humans have been contending with, with some significant loses on both sides. Some humans are still missing in action, and presumed dead by their comrades, but we the reader know that they still live, still hope for redemption. I'll likely start book five later this evening.

Back
Top Bottom