RPGWatch Article - Bloodlust: Shadowhunter - First Look

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
NyxVampiria checked out the demo of Bloodlust: Shadowhunter and sent us an article detailing what she thought of that demo.

Here is a bit on character creation:

I'm sure some are going to love this and some are going to hate this, but building a character can be manipulated by random rolls (feeling nostalgic, anyone?). This means you can do various rolls until you get starting stats that would be more powerful - this includes attributes, health, stamina, and class bonuses to main attributes and clan reputation. What stats you choose can also have an impact on various events in the game. Persuasion is very useful in the way that it can open up stores with npc's that normally would not trade with you, you can persuade npc's into giving you useful items or even quest items. If you choose to go with intelligence you will be able to read books that can further improve stats and give you a higher chance of getting valuable talent points when leveling up. These talent points can be used for the talents in your talent tree that is randomly generated for each character and only becomes visible after you have created your character. The talents do not seem necessary to succeed in Bloodlust: Shadowhunter but appear to be a means to reward more intelligence based characters allowing a different way of playing.
More information.

Nice article. From reading Nyx's name, I'm aware that she is strongly biased towards vampire-themed games, so I took that into consideration as I read the article. She does a good job of focusing on the game elements themselves and I find myself mildly interested in the game, even though I hate vampire stuff.

BloodLust

No official release date yet. No Kickstarter yet either (not sure If am going to do one - perhaps for some last minute polishing?)

Its still waiting to get on Steam Greenlight.

Thanks
Bill

Nice article. From reading Nyx's name, I'm aware that she is strongly biased towards vampire-themed games

I have no idea what you're talking about! :roll:

Thanks for the article NyxVampiria. Can you believe I covered the game last year, and forgot about it after all the of new games last year.:blush:)
I look forward to your future contributions.:party:

Thank you for the Article! Any chance you could add a section on Combat? I see that it's an "action RPG" but I'm forever confusing the different RPG sub-genres. Some the aspects of this game sound interesting. I think there's some potential in the "sire" mechanic. I'm less enthralled with the idea of randomly generated dungeons though.

I remember having read about this game... maybe 2 years ago... :eek:

Is this possible ?

Could be. Been on steam greenlight since september 2012, however it could have been announced way before that as well. Personally I found it sometime last year.

Do vote for it on greenlight though, would love to see this as a steam game =)

Thank you for the Article! Any chance you could add a section on Combat? I see that it's an "action RPG" but I'm forever confusing the different RPG sub-genres. Some the aspects of this game sound interesting. I think there's some potential in the "sire" mechanic. I'm less enthralled with the idea of randomly generated dungeons though.

Well, in a nut-shell: You target something with your crosshair instead of clicking your mouse, then you smash it with your abilities. It is what you'd expect from a rpg that features crosshair targeting.
And the randomly generated dungeons doesn't seem to have a large focus on the game, but more of a side thingy to do to find loot or gain xp. There is still much more focus on lore and exploration of normal maps.

Thank you, NyxVampiria - another game I'm now interested in.

Thanks for the article NyxVampiria. Can you believe I covered the game last year, and forgot about it after all the of new games last year.:blush:)

I played the demo, I think as a result of reading that post, and planned to keep an eye on this one. And then promptly forgot about it, until just now! The demo was very small, only part of the first map, and I didn't like some things (such as having to use one of two male or one female prefab characters as a base), but I thought the game looked promising. Watched a couple vids on youtube just now and it seems it's in beta?

Thanks for your work on this NyxVampiria! :highfive:

I'll send this review to Blue's News, would you please add a link to the Greenlight page, it would be a big help to get the count up.

I am currently playing it, sadly it seems like this game has developed more into an dungeon crawler than an actual rpg. Which I find sad cuz it really didn't feel that way when I played the demo. I have no idea if it was the developers intention all along to go with the dungeon crawler route or if it was a late decision based on resources and economic reasons. (or maybe just bad research from me)

That being said, there are still the same rpg elements as were in the demo, and a story line to follow that I will try my best to complete. No promises however as I find dungeon crawling incredibly dull. Love the setting though, it's very dark and gothic - if you can deal with budget graphics. I don't have an issue with that but I understand that some people expect today's graphics to be a tad prettier.

I don't mean to disrespect the developer by my disappointment of it being a dungeon crawler, I was merely given a whole different impression when I was playing the demo. As I wrote in one of my earlier replies here I mentioned that random dungeons didn't seem to be a big focus back then, well it sure is now :shh:

Glad to see you back on the forums, Nyx. Please keep us posted with your impressions. Your original article was well presented and I'd love to hear about your progress.

Back
Top Bottom