RPGWatch - RPG of the Year Poll

I'm not necessarily buying that it was a weak year - we just don't have good data. To my mind, Crysis proves what happens when your best claim to fame is that the game is so advanced, it kicks sand in the face of Cray supercomputers. And UT3 potentially shows the market is more competitive and repackaging UT2 doesn't cut it. We'll never really know but a half-decent tracking system would be a good start.

Well, IGN discusses it here and what they say is pretty worrying:
What's most troubling about the PC market is the sales numbers. The best selling game in North America, according to NPD numbers, was the World of Warcraft expansion pack Burning Crusade. That was the only game on the list that sold over a million PC copies this year and its base product World of Warcraft the only other game to pass a half-million sold. The next best seller, The Sims 2: Seasons, was down around 300k. And check this, of the 31 games that managed to sell over 100,000 copies this year, 21 of them were released in previous years and 11 of them were Sims products. Command & Conquer 3, Supreme Commander, Lord of the Rings Online, BioShock were the only games released this year to sell over 100k that weren't Sims or World of Warcraft related according to NPD.

That's pretty damn worrying.

Doesn't NPD ignore sales of downloadable versions of the games?

If I were to take it guess, it would be that sales shifted to WoW (no time/money for other offline games) and consoles. Sure, consoles have always been around and more units were sold for those platforms, but especially the XBox is direct PC games competition due to similar hardware and exclusivity things going on.

Doesn't NPD ignore sales of downloadable versions of the games?

Yeah.

IGN mentions that skews the numbers, and it does. But do you think purchasing through downloads is really so big now that it'd significantly alter the numbers? I have my doubts.

NPD also doesn't take anything outside of North America into account (don't remember if Canada was in their numbers) and I'm under the impression that Europe is much less skewed towards console game sales than the USA.

I won't compare MoTB because that's not even a full game by itself, but I don't think The Witcher is anywhere near the level of the first 2 Gothic games.

When is the last time you tried to play Gothic 3? Reason I ask is because it's come a long way from being the buggy crap it was when it was first released, almost an entirely different game now with the latest patch. With what the coming 1.6 patch promises, I think it will be truly excellent.

Hellgate London is pretty bad by CRPG standards, it shouldn't even be considered for any awards. Two Worlds isn't bad, but it's not RPG of the Year material imo.

I thought you hadn't played the witcher yet? I've been really pleasantly surprised by it, even by comparison to all the hype. It's definitely different from the gothics in terms of gameplay and combat, but had a few things that really reminded me of it. The slightly darker atmosphere, the sarcasm in the conversations, the fact that loot upgrades are condensed to a few major sea changes in quality rather than an endless stream of minor improvements that you never really notice, the sense of a living world and real characters.

It doesn't admittedly have the wonderful open world of gothic where you can wander with the accompanying thrill of wandering into the wrong place and dying (and sometimes running in and out and coming back with some powerful loot), or the seamless world for walking in and out of buildings etc, but it's got other features that are better (the alchemy system in particular makes for interesting play, the lack of healing potions that heal you instantly requiring you to plan your health better etc).

And MoTB may not be a full game but in so far as it's shorter it's only because they've taken out the endless grind of crap you normally have to slog through so if anything it's a bonus having it shorter but more interesting.

Sounds like Gothic 3 is well worth revisiting anyway, I'll check it out again once the 1.6 patch is out :)

Well Crysis and UT3 bombed, I suspect, due to "better" shooters being released just before them. Orange Box and COD:4 I'm sure sold decently. Bioshock, I would have though, sold ok as well. It is perhaps the Xbox 360 that has taken a lot of PC game sales having a lot of the same games and a large user base.

There are many unique titles on consoles as well and the PC isn't really offering the same at the moment. I'm sure Blizzard's next title (Starcraft 2) will sell well. Personally, I'm not buying 5-10 shooters a year to keep the industry happy.

Bioshock, I would have though, sold ok as well. It is perhaps the Xbox 360 that has taken a lot of PC game sales having a lot of the same games and a large user base.

BioShock sold over a million, and apparently only between 100k and 300k of those sales were PC, the rest is Xbox360.

Yeah, one of the only ones. It was a very weak year for PC sales, to be honest. Market is really unhealthy right now.

Your av is terrible, magerette.

She was temporary(and too big). Still looking but I was tired of the Bruxa. :)

PC sales may have been down, still I think there were a lot of good releases this year. From the "what's coming in 2008" articles, I'd say we may look back on this one and be quite nostalgic.

Last edited:
She was temporary(and too big). Still looking but I was tired of the Bruxa. :)

PC sales may have been down, still I think there were a lot of good releases this year. From the "what's coming in 2008" articles, I'd say we may look back on this one and be quite nostalgic.

I don't think anything came out this year that I'll be playing in a year or 2 - so that's not a good sign heh.

That's a huge margin of error, so which is it? I just don't think we have the data.

We never have full data. But our incomplete data this year looks more worrying than incomplete data the past years. The only big unknown factor is downloaded games. Europe hasn't changed as a market over the past years.

Yeah.

IGN mentions that skews the numbers, and it does. But do you think purchasing through downloads is really so big now that it'd significantly alter the numbers? I have my doubts.
I don't know, but in The Witcher discussions here and there I frequently see people mentioning they bought the downloadable version. This is the feeling I get, no hard numbers of course :D But I thought e.g. Steam was a player sufficiently big that its exclusion from NPD reports would be worth mentioning.

I think it would be significant. A heap of people use Steam. Most gamers I know in RL have used it in some capacity this year. Hell, in the last year I've bought more games off Steam and similar platforms than off-the-shelf boxed games and I'm sure that this is the case for plenty of others with broadband internet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom